Friedman: Uptick on Edler calls

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can’t remember the rules. Do you have to protect partial NMCs?

Not trying to be a jerk here but, are the Canucks that deep that people are overly worried about losing a player? Who might they be worried about?
Right now that group would be Juolevi. Wait and see how brisebois develops. They seem to like sautner but again time will tell. Hutton and stecher would be young enough still. Tanev don’t know if they want to extend him.

But, the point is NOT locking yourself in when you know an ED is coming. If the Canucks have exempt players they may be able to work something out with a team like Anaheim for one of their eligible Dmen in exchange.

Feb 24, 2017
I can’t remember the rules. Do you have to protect partial NMCs?

Not trying to be a jerk here but, are the Canucks that deep that people are overly worried about losing a player? Who might they be worried about?
The Canucks aren’t super deep anywhere, but in Edler and Tanev’s absense, Hutton and Stetcher have really stepped up. That’s two to worry about for Seattle. Also Juolevi will need to be protected by then, and we obviously hope he’s worth that. Apparently if Quinn Hughes plays this year he’s gonna need to be protected from Seattle. So that’s already either more than the 3 or it is all of the 4, depending on the protection model chosen. You don’t want a two plus years older than now Edler making you lose one of those guys. They’re not the best around or anything, but losing any of them would be a blow.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
No it’s not an either or. He wants to stay in Vancouver badly. His wife and kids are stapled here. He’s made that clear. If he gets offered 3-4 years @ 5-6 million per in Vancouver, he takes that over any 6 year deal somewhere else any day.
Right here you said he gets less than Petry.

Petry's contract was 7.97% of the cap when it was signed for 5.5 million. If the cap goes to 82 million that 7.97% is over 6.5 million just to say they are equals. Plus you say hes better, plus you want a short term.

You even seem to think Edler has a 50% chance to get less than Petry in 2015/16 dollars.

":help:"

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Petry and Edler are pretty comparable, slight edge to Eddie.. I think a resign will be in the $5.5-6.5M range. One can only hope it’s 2yrs. We will see how this plays out.

If he really does want to play here he may have to accept the fact there we will at very least a limited no trade clause (need to provide a list of potential trade destinations). Otherwise he is more than welcome to go see what other teams can offer.

Reactions: TS Quint

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Sedin era ended I was hoping for big changes. Looks like we just stay the core and keep the aging veterans who get hurt yearly.

We lost and werent a playoff team with them, but lets let the years go by and as they get older we will become better and win a cup....Canucks will not win a Cup with Edler, Tanev or Sutter. The team needs everything still, secondary scoring, scoring from the D, Size and grit. So far from being a threat its not even funny.

No wonder why Linden got the eff out of the organization, JB must be the owners pet just trying to get a playoff home date. JB can stay, just not as the GM, he doesn't have the balls to make a bold trade. He has made some poor signings and trades. Also brought back very little in return during a so called rebuild. He should be going to anyone with a ntc and asking who will you waive for, and make deals happen!

Mediocre Canucks have been going on for 8 years, with no real changes. just wait till the players want to retire or refuse to waive.

Frustrating time to be a Canuck fan, oh ya Fire the assistant coaches and bring in some guys who are creative on the PP and have legit NHL experience coaching the D

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
There’s almost an assumption that we need to keep our vets just because they want to stay here. I get their love for Vancouver. But don’t you want to have an opportunity to win? Isn’t that the whole point of being an athlete?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Right here you said he gets less than Petry.

Petry's contract was 7.97% of the cap when it was signed for 5.5 million. If the cap goes to 82 million that 7.97% is over 6.5 million just to say they are equals. Plus you say hes better, plus you want a short term.

You even seem to think Edler has a 50% chance to get less than Petry in 2015/16 dollars.

":help:"
Because it’s a totally different situation?? Edler is older than when Petry was signed so he’s not going to get the term or money.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Because it’s a totally different situation?? Edler is older than when Petry was signed so he’s not going to get the term or money.
Well no, if you think hes a top pair you pay that value. You should be able to lower that hit if you signed him long term and expected a drop in play. But on a 2 year contract I dont think you're going to get a discount just because of his birth date. That makes no sense. On a two year contract you pay for what you think he is today.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Some speculation from Canucks media that Edler could waive for Pittsburgh if an extension there was involved:

For full context it seems like they've had the interest for awhile, but I can't see it happening with what everyone else has indicated with the contract progress.

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Some speculation from Canucks media that Edler could waive for Pittsburgh if an extension there was involved:

Hmm interesting, I like Sat he’s a very knowledgeable radio host but he’s not really one for breaking rumors so it makes you think ? Has Rick Dhaliwal tweeted anything , he’s prob the most reputable for insider info regarding the Nucks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would absolutely LOVE for the Penguins to trade for Edler and re-sign him. If he's willing to waive his NTC to come here with an extension, I'd easily pay a 1st and a prospect for him. He's exactly what that 2nd pair needs, the Penguins top-4 becomes absolutely stacked with Dumoulin, Letang, Edler and Schultz in it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
dhaliwal talks to agents. shah does not normally play the rumour mill.
and that is pretty specific.

i'd say edler's agent is getting out in front of the risk he does not re-sign or get traded so he can say it is not edler's fault.

yikes.

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
This is something both the Canucks and Penguins should do, but there's a reluctance on the part of the Canucks GM to do these sorts of trades.

I mean, if I was the Canucks GM, I'd offer Edler for Jack Johnson, a prospect, and two first round picks. Penguins could counter offer with protections on the picks, depending on the draft years. If I was the Penguins GM, I'd offer Edler either a three or four year front-loaded contract upon trading for him. Nothing egregious, but something for Edler to think seriously about.

But it probably won't happen, as the Canucks' GM has never done this before. I could be wrong, but it's unlikely.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do Edler's demands for a 3rd protected year remain the same if he's dealing with Pitt vs Vancouver?

That's a major sticking point with Vancouver. They don't seem to want to do that 3rd year protected.

I always figured Edler didn't want to move twice. If he leaves the Canucks, his next stop will be his final one in the NHL.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
not sold on this being a solid rumour, Dhaliwal is usually that guy for Canuck rumblings. But I would be more than happy if Canucks somehow moved Edler for a return

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This is probably why Benning has said in the past he doesn’t see a situation where they trade Edler at the deadline and re-sign him in the off-season as being realistic. Since it sounds like both sides are at an impasse, maybe now Benning is exploring trade options where Edler would be willing to waive for given a contract extension in place?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad