Injury Report: Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) | Neal (concussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Its starting to get annoying with there lack of updates with Sid its been 2 weeks and the only updates we have gotten is that hes in good spirits and hes able to eat mash potatoes

Why would they? I can only think of downsides for putting out a timeline.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I think the third line really should be:

Jokinen-Sutter-Morrow

It's not like Cooke is bringing that much to the table 5 on 5. His value has primarily been on the PK. Running a 4th line of Cooke-Adams-TK would be an extreme luxury.

Though I do agree with the idea of Cooke to the 4th line, he has been fairly productive at even strength. Cooke has more ES goals and points than Malkin, only 1 fewer ES point than Iginla, and only 2 fewer ES points than Neal.

If fully healthy, I'd go:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Iginla - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Jokinen
Glass - Adams - Cooke

You can give Cooke additional shifts with Sutter & Jokinen if needed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
While you may be right, Adams leads the team's forwards in SHTOI per game and Glass is fourth. As long as they continue to play that role, they'll stay in the lineup.

I want Adams to play. But there's no reason Jokinen shouldn't take Glass's PK time. Having another good faceoff guy out there would be huge. Really, this argument annoys me in general. Using PK ice time as a reason Bylsma is right to leave Glass in the line-up is ridiculous because Bylsma is the reason Glass has that PK ice time. His bad coaching decision all season (not having Vitale or now Jokinen kill penalties) isn't a good argument to make bad coaching decisions now.

Sutter
Cooke
Dupuis
Adams
Jokinen
Vitale
Crosby

That's a list of players who are both better at hockey than Glass and who are also more than capable of filling our PK. Let's even ignore Vitale because he hasn't done it in the NHL and once we're healthy I'd sit him too. That's still a 6 person deep group of PK guys. We do not need Glass on the PK. He's not even very good at it. I would rather every one of the guys I listed above play over him even on the PK.

and I've said it a few times now, but I don't mean to bash Glass. Nothing against the guy. But he's not one of our 12 best forwards. He's probably our 15th when healthy and 13th today.

And I will never be happy with a line-up where Adams is playing center considering the other options available.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I completely disagree with this. He is better than at least 5 forwards on our roster. TK, Glass, Adams, Vitale and Jeffrey. Two of those 6 players (counting Bennett) will play when healthy. He deserves to be one of them if the spots are earned based on merit.

Glass and Adams are two the the top PK forwards on the team. Adams leads them in SHTOI per game and Glass is fourth. Bennett isn't going to take a spot away from them, unfortunately, because of the very distinct role they play.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Glass and Adams are two the the top PK forwards on the team. Adams leads them in SHTOI per game and Glass is fourth. Bennett isn't going to take a spot away from them, unfortunately, because of the very distinct role they play.

the role they play because Bylsma puts them there. Adams deserves it. Glass doesn't. He is not one of our best PK guys. see above.

I know they don't have to give a timeline but hes the face of the NHL there should be some type of obligation to let the hockey world know when hes coming back.

and if they don't know? should they just make something up?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Agreed. I don't get it...

It's simply, really. Until the screws in his jaw set, he can't do anything that could jeopardize his recovery. If he were to go out for a skate and lose an edge, it could mean the end of the season for him.

It seems that since he can now eat mashed potatoes, he's no longer a high risk for infection. If so, then that's very good news. Now we wait for the screws to finish setting so he can get back on the ice.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I want Adams to play. But there's no reason Jokinen shouldn't take Glass's PK time. Having another good faceoff guy out there would be huge. Really, this argument annoys me in general. Using PK ice time as a reason Bylsma is right to leave Glass in the line-up is ridiculous because Bylsma is the reason Glass has that PK ice time. His bad coaching decision all season (not having Vitale or now Jokinen kill penalties) isn't a good argument to make bad coaching decisions now.

Sutter
Cooke
Dupuis
Adams
Jokinen
Vitale
Crosby

That's a list of players who are both better at hockey than Glass and who are also more than capable of filling our PK. Let's even ignore Vitale because he hasn't done it in the NHL and once we're healthy I'd sit him too. That's still a 6 person deep group of PK guys. We do not need Glass on the PK. He's not even very good at it. I would rather every one of the guys I listed above play over him even on the PK.

and I've said it a few times now, but I don't mean to bash Glass. Nothing against the guy. But he's not one of our 12 best forwards. He's probably our 15th when healthy and 13th today.

And I will never be happy with a line-up where Adams is playing center considering the other options available.

Don't misinterpret me - I don't think it's right either. I'm fine with Adams staying in there, but I think the team would be much better served with Glass watching from the press box. I just don't think it's going to happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Don't misinterpret me - I don't think it's right either. I'm fine with Adams staying in there, but I think the team would be much better served with Glass watching from the press box. I just don't think it's going to happen.

I hate that I think you're right.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I know they don't have to give a timeline but hes the face of the NHL there should be some type of obligation to let the hockey world know when hes coming back.

Come on!! I doubt they truly know when he is coming back and they are under no obligation to anyone besides the Penguin organization. He will be back soon enough. All info received so far has been encouraging and that is good enough for me.

qc

Aug 23, 2011

I think the Pitt organization is very smart in how they handle injuries. I'm sure it must be frustrating from a Pen fan's perspective, but as an outsider I have always admired them in this regard.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I'm surprised they dont also have Sid hooked up to IV and an EKG monitor as well. I still think they're being TOO cautious with him right now.

Even if that's true, can you blame them? He's the best player in the world and the team is essentially playing meaningless games right now. If there's even a chance that he's not fully healthy, why risk it? I doubt the team(or Crosby for that matter) value his scoring championship anywhere near as much as they value him being 100% healthy for the playoffs.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
and if they don't know? should they just make something up?[/QUOTE]

Its not a concussion where theirs no timeline its a broken bone, I have a hard time believing they don't have atleast a broad timeline right now something like 3 to 5 weeks or 4 to 6 weeks.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Its not a concussion where theirs no timeline its a broken bone, I have a hard time believing they don't have atleast a broad timeline right now something like 3 to 5 weeks or 4 to 6 weeks.

Relax, Sid's fine. Even broad timelines are often inaccurate. Each piece of news we have gotten so far has been very positive. Remember, he is supposed to start skating sometime in the coming week. Just because there's no 'date set' doesn't mean it won't happen.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
and if they don't know? should they just make something up?

Its not a concussion where theirs no timeline its a broken bone, I have a hard time believing they don't have atleast a broad timeline right now something like 3 to 5 weeks or 4 to 6 weeks.[/QUOTE]

He's 2-6 weeks away from returning. Cool?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Relax, Sid's fine. Even broad timelines are often inaccurate. Each piece of news we have gotten so far has been very positive. Remember, he is supposed to start skating sometime in the coming week. Just because there's no 'date set' doesn't mean it won't happen.

According to DB there is no date set for Sid to start skating.

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
Even if that's true, can you blame them? He's the best player in the world and the team is essentially playing meaningless games right now. If there's even a chance that he's not fully healthy, why risk it? I doubt the team(or Crosby for that matter) value his scoring championship anywhere near as much as they value him being 100% healthy for the playoffs.

Yeah, I actually wouldn't mind dropping into second place to avoid Lundqvist in the first round.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

He's 2-6 weeks away from returning. Cool?[/QUOTE]

2 to 6 more weeks would really suck means he could miss 2 rounds of playoffs.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
According to DB there is no date set for Sid to start skating.

I know. I'm the one who posted that tweet. On Thursday after the game it was reported that Sid hoped to begin skating next week. Next week is this coming week.

A set date would "Sidney is going to begin skating on Tuesday"

Just because they don't know the EXACT day he will begin skating doesn't mean he won't start skating this coming week.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Those who think the Pens are being "too careful" with Sid...you're all aware that it's the doctors who determine when he is and isn't allowed to start skating, right?

I don't understand this fixation with timelines. He'll be back when he's ready.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think the Pitt organization is very smart in how they handle injuries. I'm sure it must be frustrating from a Pen fan's perspective, but as an outsider I have always admired them in this regard.

There very inconsistent what they tell us, When Geno got concussion they tell us his exact symptoms, Neal gets concussion they don't say any of his symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad