Injury Report: Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) | Neal (concussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
LATEST INJURY NEWS (Updated 4/13)

--Per the team, Sidney Crosby will be out indefinitely after having surgery to repair a broken jaw and damage to multiple teeth on 3/30. He was struck in the mouth by a deflected puck against the Islanders.

According to Ray Shero, Crosby's jaw is *not* wired shut, which is what leads to the lengthiest of recovery times from this injury. He'll be able to return to a normal diet much faster as well return to regular workouts and skating faster because his breathing will not be restricted.

Crosby continues to experience no concussion symptoms and has returned home from the hospital.

New update from the PG:

Doctors treating Penguins center Sidney Crosby will make a determination about his return when they are confident that he has healed enough and that screws that were surgically implanted in his broken jaw are properly set, according to someone with knowledge of his recovery.

There is no timetable for that.

Crosby has had at least a couple of upper teeth replaced and faces more dental work, including additional root canals, in the coming days. He visited with teammates Thursday at Consol Energy Center and was said to be in good spirits. He has not practiced.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...must-set-before-crosby-can-even-skate-682438/

Expanding on that, Crosby spoke with reporters on 4/8 and said he's just waiting for the doctors' OK before resuming normal activities. He joined the team in Tampa on 4/11 for their Florida road trip and said he plans to resume skating next week and still remains optimistic that he will be able to play before the playoffs begin.

* * *​

--Paul Martin had surgery to repair a broken bone in his left hand on March 31 and will be out four-to-six weeks. He is on injured reserve.

Martin was struck by a shot in a game against Winnipeg on 3/28.

If Martin misses the full six weeks, it will cut into the playoffs, which will likely begin May 1 or May 2 for the Penguins. He would be in danger of missing at least part of the first round if that timetable holds.

Martin has begun skating on his own back in Pittsburgh, according to Dan Bylsma on 4/11. The 4-6 week timeframe remains unchanged.

* * *​

--James Neal took an elbow to the chin on 4/5 against the Rangers and looked dazed and wobbly as he left the ice and did not return. Dan Bylsma confirmed on 4/8 that Neal suffered a concussion.

Neal will sit out the upcoming three-game Southeast Division road trip and the team will go from there.

* * *​

--Evgeni Malkin was held out of the Florida game on 4/13 for what the team called an upper-body injury.

Dan Bylsma said that Malkin re-aggravated the shoulder that had been nagging him earlier in the season. The Tribune-Review reports that Malkin would have played had it been a playoff game.

Speculation that Malkin was out because of a severe sunburn was "vehemently denied" by the team, according to the Post-Gazette.

Last edited by a moderator:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
seems kind of pointless to call Bobo back if he's not going to play in the top 9.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Would they call him up just to let him sit in the pressbox every night? I don't see him cracking the lineup.

He is a much better defensive player than TK, but he's a rookie so I have no idea.

He's earned his spot more than TK has, but Vitale has earned his spot more than Glass and look where he is.

Who knows.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/with-titanium-plates-crosbys-jaw-expected-to-heal-quickly-681738/

"As long as he keeps his nourishment up -- and he should since he's not wired shut -- he should be good to go in three to four weeks," said David Dattilo, director of oral and maxillofacial surgery for West Penn Allegheny Health System."

If all goes well in three to four weeks, Dr. Dattilo said, Mr. Crosby won't even necessarily need special headgear to protect his jaw "because his jaw will be just as strong as before, and probably stronger because it will be metal-reinforced."

Sounds good.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeap probably will be out until the playoffs. So much for building chemistry with Iginla during the season. Needless to say, DB shuffling lines nightly during the playoffs worries me.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Crosby to come back around 5-7 games from the end I reckon to win the Art Ross again!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeap probably will be out until the playoffs. So much for building chemistry with Iginla during the season. Needless to say, DB shuffling lines nightly during the playoffs worries me.

DB isn't going to be shuffling the lines. That's why Kennedy is playing #1C.

And I don't think there was any chance that Iggy was going on Sid's line. Just how they are thinking right now.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I didn't want to make a thread of it's own but read this.

It still won't work, but just type in, "Mass holeports" without the space.

You need to scroll down some.

136491489727237_zpsf9f5639a.jpg

What put me over the top was the fact that Sidney Crosby convinced Jarome Iginla, who is known as one of the classiest guys in the NHL, to act like a total dick and accept a trade to the Penguins after the deal with the Bruins was already agreed upon.

I think Jarome knows who's better for his career, I doubt Sid had to convince him. The fact is that Feaster and Chiarelli may have had a deal, but they didn't with, Jarome.

A bit further down.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like seeing anyone get injured, but you must admit that the fact he got injured on his first shift as Jarome Iginla's teammate isnt just a coincidence. Its called karma.

Do people not understand the use of, Karma?

Karma is the Bruins getting a guy from under the noses of the Penguins, or..Iginla going down with an injury in his first game in the first couple minutes. It's called bad luck. Was it Karma that he took a puck to the face the last time he played the Islanders well before we got, Iginla? No, and it isn't this time either.

Last.

If I may put it in hockey terms: when you piss off the Hockey Gods, sometimes they piss on you. And if you are a Penguins fan, your world just crashed. Boy, does it suck to be a Penguins fan right now.

Yep, we have crashed, Crosby won't be back, I guess.:laugh:

Let us know how you really feel come playoff time.

_0023_PITTSBURGHPENGUINS-13-4.png

Last edited:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
That link doesn't work so I can't read the whole thing, but :laugh:. I hate the term 'butthurt' but that's exactly what they are right now. All of them. So hilarious.

And yeah, it tooootally sucks to be a Pens fan right now. El oh el.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Not even scared of the Bruins, whole lotta D but can't score and personally not impressed by their goalies. Frankly I'm more scared of Ottawa than anyone else.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I think he'll play a few regular season games. Knowing him he'll want to get his timing back and readjusted before playoffs.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
I know it's not my call, but do we need to have the Bruins stuff in this injury thread? I read this thread to get updates on the injured players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad