Injury Report: Updates in Post #1: Crosby (jaw) | Martin (hand) | Neal (concussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd sit Geno for the remainder of the regular season. We are in the playoffs. Let him get that shoulder in good shape.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I'd sit Geno for the remainder of the regular season. We are in the playoffs. Let him get that shoulder in good shape.
Agreed. It's obviously not fully healed yet, so he might as well rest it as much as possible. A few weeks could really help in the long run.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Just a quick question. Are you guys not worried with the approach of "just come back to dominate in the playoffs"?

You can't just turn on a switch. I think most players would benefit from some playing time in the last 3-5 regular season games, so you are sharp for the playoffs.

I fully understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that Sid managed to put up 37 pts in just 22 games last season after missing almost a year of action due to his concussion. Needless to say the idea of "rust" doesn't seem to apply to him.

I'm also very weary about the intentions of some of these teams that we're facing heading into the post season. The Habs aren't a "dirty" team per say, nor do I think they'd try anything iffy towards our star players. However keep in mind that as potential playoff opponents I'm sure that both the B's and the Habs would feel MUCH more comfortable in their own chances knowing that the two best players in the game are out of commission. This applies to the B's especially, consideirng the fact that they're facing some tough injury concerns of their own.

As for the Sens and potentially getting payback for what happened to Karlsson, I don't think that even theyd be that stupid. If anything happens to one of our stars then the league will immediately see it as being a retaliatory act, which will surely lead to some stiff suspensions and fines. Cooke will however likely be a marked man though...

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I fully understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that Sid managed to put up 37 pts in just 22 games last season after missing almost a year of action due to his concussion. Needless to say the idea of "rust" doesn't seem to apply to him.

I'm also very weary about the intentions of some of these teams that we're facing heading into the post season. The Habs aren't a "dirty" team per say, nor do I think they'd try anything iffy towards our star players. However keep in mind that as potential playoff opponents I'm sure that both the B's and the Habs would feel MUCH more comfortable in their own chances knowing that the two best players in the game are out of commission. This applies to the B's especially, consideirng the fact that they're facing some tough injury concerns of their own.

As for the Sens and potentially getting payback for what happened to Karlsson, I don't think that even theyd be that stupid. If anything happens to one of our stars then the league will immediately see it as being a retaliatory act, which will surely lead to some stiff suspensions and fines. Cooke will however likely be a marked man though...

He problem with the 37 points in 22 games for Sid last season is tyhat while yeah, he jumped in and produced right away, the team also unraveled.

I think its just as risky to keep healthy players out just to not risk injury and go into he playoffs wih a lineup that hasn't ever played together.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
He problem with the 37 points in 22 games for Sid last season is tyhat while yeah, he jumped in and produced right away, the team also unraveled.

I think its just as risky to keep healthy players out just to not risk injury and go into he playoffs wih a lineup that hasn't ever played together.

I'm with you here. There's no time for an adjustment period in the playoffs.

Sid needs to play with these guys, and geno needs to play period...he sucks hard this year and more time off is only gonna make it worse

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Hey guys. Sabres fan in peace here. Any updated status on Neal for this week. He is available in my fantasy week and I am in the championship. Looking to pick him up if hes playing this week. Thanks all! =)

Ray Shero*

Hey guys. Sabres fan in peace here. Any updated status on Neal for this week. He is available in my fantasy week and I am in the championship. Looking to pick him up if hes playing this week. Thanks all! =)
There hasn't been an update recently, sorry.

I'm 90% sure he won't be coming back this week.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Out of curiosity, why are people so sure he won't be back this week? We haven't heard anything either way because the team has been on a road trip. Did I miss additional info?

ETA: By "he" I mean Neal. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Stars

Mar 25, 2013
The depth, how well the new guys are playing and the look of the playoff match ups are all coming together for the penguins.
Its the goaltending that can be the difference in a cup run.
I think its a great to be in a position of having so many different line combos.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Out of curiosity, why are people so sure he won't be back this week? We haven't heard anything either way because the team has been on a road trip. Did I miss additional info?

ETA: By "he" I mean Neal. Sorry, should have been more clear.

I was wondering why everyone was so sure of that as well. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if he played by Saturday, same with Sid.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm with you here. There's no time for an adjustment period in the playoffs.

Sid needs to play with these guys, and geno needs to play period...he sucks hard this year and more time off is only gonna make it worse

If he's injured then playing is only going to make it worse.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Sid got his points on his second return last season because he's Sid, but he never looked like himself, especially along the boards. He was missing a gear.

hadrian

Sep 2, 2011
Crosby absolutely suffers from rust as much as anyone. It always takes a stretch of games before he gets into true Crosby form. Always.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sid got his points on his second return last season because he's Sid, but he never looked like himself, especially along the boards. He was missing a gear.

Crosby admitted he was 5-6 pounds over optimal playing weight and couldn't exert himself 100% coming back last year.

This ones completely opposite, he'll be a little underweight but shouldn't miss a beat once he gets his strength back.

CrozJawz*

All the injuries are the biggest concern heading into the playoffs. To all those claiming that everyone should just sit out until the playoffs and then come back fully healthy, be careful what you wish for.

Whoever snatches the 8th seed, will have been playing like they had nothing to lose right up until the last game. The teams in position to grab it are not dealing with injuries right now. Their lineups are set. So they will roll into the playoffs, knowing who they are playing with, what their tendencies are, and what works and what doesn't.

The Pens will roll into the playoffs, still juggling and jumbling lines, with rusty guys just coming back and getting used to new line mates, trying to get back into game shape, trying to get their timing back, etc, etc.

So what I am basically saying is that they will likely head into the 1st round, out of sorts to a certain degree, trying to get guys back up to speed, and could easily get out worked by the 7th or 8th seed. So while we want everyone to be healthy when they come back, having Martin, Crosby, Neal, and Geno out until the 1st game of the POs will certainly throw a wrench into team chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad