Confirmed with Link: (Updated) Chris Kelly signs with Ottawa. 1 YR @ 900K

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Never shortchanged us on the effort, his line held us in that first round in 2011 so we could win it in 7, not his fault he was kept for too long at the expense of others.

So thanks Chris, always a Bruin, but definitely time for us to move on.

Agree with all of this, and I'm ecstatic they didn't bring him back. Not because he's a bad guy, but because he can't stay healthy any longer.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
I think Kelly is a better free agent signing at 900 k for one year , then Liles at 2 Mill for one year. Liles benefits because he plays 'd', I just think Kelly will be more effective for what he brings for one year then Liles.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Very relieved Boston didn't sign him. Appreciate what he contributed to the Bs when he was healthy and effective. Now he can take his smiles and tunes back to the Sens

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
So another part of the cup winning team gone. Sad to see that I loved that team. It was time to move on though and I am happy he got to sign on somewhere else.

Don Cherry*

As we speak Claude is looking at a huge Chris Kelly picture in a heart shaped frame as a tear rolls down his cheek.
Riley Nash will be in the role of over-used plug that becomes the sixth attacker down by a goal with two minutes remaining by Nov. 1st.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As classy as they come. Really wish he would have retired here, because I wanted him in the organization for the next 30 years.

L00CH

Jun 28, 2010
Nothing left in the tank as of 2 years ago. It's stupid they held on this long. Goodbye and Good luck!

Last edited:

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Loved Kells. I was in the minority (very minority) of posters who would have welcomed him back this year at a similar deal. Once I saw the Nash acquisition though coupled with Backes (veteran leader) I didn't see much of a fit anymore. Thanks for everything Chris!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Bruins considered bringing back veteran forward Chris Kelly for the 2016-17 season, but Ottawa negated that possibility Thursday when they signed the former Senator to a one-year deal worth $900,000.

Kelly, 35, was one of ex-Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli’s shrewdest pickups, acquiring Kelly from Ottawa for a second-round pick (Shane Prince) just prior to the February 2011 trade deadline.

A smart, aggressive center/wing, Kelly was a key third-liner and vital penalty-killer during Boston’s championship run that spring vs. Vancouver. He was again essential in helping the Bruins make it back to the Cup Final two years later.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ly-senators/dxcfWn0Zk749RltL4ef6fJ/story.html

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Another member of the 2011 team gone. Even if it's for the best, it's bittersweet. I remember the night we traded for him. The press was kept way after the game for an announcement and a lot of people thought it was finally Kaberle. When it was announced as Kelly for a 2nd, a lot of people were pissed. In hindsight, that was an awesome deal.

Thanks for everything Kells

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Great guy and a huge part of 11 but with backes coming in and bringing leadership Kellys remaining assets can be replaced by a younger kid who can develope. I'm glad he got a gig though

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I think Kelly is a better free agent signing at 900 k for one year , then Liles at 2 Mill for one year. Liles benefits because he plays 'd', I just think Kelly will be more effective for what he brings for one year then Liles.

Defense is making the top dollar including the old D-men

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Gonna miss Kelly. Great part of the 2011 team that brought us the Cup - you just can't forget that. I wouldn't really have minded Kelly at $900K....so Ottawa's got, stochastically speaking, a good deal. Yeah, there's a reasonable chance that he might not be the same after literally getting a hat trick of leg fractured bones. But it's not a large price to pay for veteran presence and a player who may bounce back.

The thing that makes me kidna glad we didn't sign him is we've already got a backlog of centers, with Bergeron, Krejci, Spookes (Backner?) as a top 3, and the slew of rookies/new blood we have going for the fourth slot.

Nash, Vatrano, Acciari, Griffith, and Koko (he's still technically ours) are all listed as center. While I'm sure they have the flexibility to move to the wing (remember, Pasta was a center IIRC before he was drafted, and he transitioned to the wing well), it also means they could slide into a 4th line center position. I couldn't tell you if any of them have already played center in the NHL - it's known to be harder than the wing. But in a pinch (and I'm sure we'll be in a pinch many, many times next year), they should be able to play center.

And those are just the ones that have already played in the NHL.

The Bruins may have problems next year, but (at least at this point) it's not because of their strength down the center. If anything, it's DESPITE their strength down the center.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

The horror

Fans always call out Daughavins but this was worse.

Kelly was a good leader but devoid of offensive talent especially towards the end. Good to see him with another chance but very glad it is not Boston.

He played a major part in our Cup and we will be grateful for that!

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00