Confirmed with Link: (Updated) Chris Kelly signs with Ottawa. 1 YR @ 900K

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Loved Kelly, exactly the kind of game I can appreciate. This is a good move by Bruins to move on, we need to usher in some youth and speed into the bottom 6. No more fillers: Talbot, Kemp, Gagne, Pandolfo..whoever the veteran is that they invite to camp.

Nash, Acciari, Randell, Ferlin, Czarnik, Griffith, Blidh, even Colby Cave.

I wanna see those guys compete for jobs and see if any can raise their level of play and earn a roster spot.

Nice to see Kelly go back to the Sens too. That is cool!

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
Never shortchanged us on the effort, his line held us in that first round in 2011 so we could win it in 7, not his fault he was kept for too long at the expense of others.

So thanks Chris, always a Bruin, but definitely time for us to move on.

I remember watching that third-line come to life during game four against the Habs (especially during that sequence shortly before the Ryder OT winner) and thinking... "if this is our third-line, we're in a very good spot." He was definitely a Bruin in my mind since that game; however, his game has never been quite the same since 2013, despite some good complimentary play with Eriksson and Soderberg.

But alas, it's neither the '11 postseason nor the 11/12 campaign. He's not going to be putting up any 20g, +33 seasons anymore. Glad to see him earn a deal with Ottawa.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
Nothing but respect for Kelly's contribution to the cup they won. Unfortunately it's about the best team now, not five years ago. I wish him well in Ottawa.

The Zapper

Dec 22, 2015
Loved Kelly, exactly the kind of game I can appreciate. This is a good move by Bruins to move on, we need to usher in some youth and speed into the bottom 6. No more fillers: Talbot, Kemp, Gagne, Pandolfo..whoever the veteran is that they invite to camp.

Nash, Acciari, Randell, Ferlin, Czarnik, Griffith, Blidh, even Colby Cave.

I wanna see those guys compete for jobs and see if any can raise their level of play and earn a roster spot.

Nice to see Kelly go back to the Sens too. That is cool!

Blidh is an intriguing option for the forth-line IMO. Far more intriguing than Gagne or Pandolfo, anyway. Man was it frustrating to watch those two take up roster spots.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Time to move on, long time unapologetic fan of CK, can`t appreciate the contributions he made to the Cup run enough

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Farewell to yet another great piece of the 2011 run.

Hopefully he can carve out a niche with Ottawa for the final few years of his career

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
It wasn't his fault Chiarelli overpaid him in cap hit & term. It wasn't his fault Julien played him too often in in situations he shouldn't have. Good luck in Ottawa

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
DS does some crazy stuff...but re-signing Kelly would have really surprised me.

Just too much to believe.

Super psyced we can put this behind us. Thanks for the good times, Chris. You helped make a dream come true.

Now, if we could just move on from Hayes. A guy can dream.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Blidh is an intriguing option for the forth-line IMO. Far more intriguing than Gagne or Pandolfo, anyway. Man was it frustrating to watch those two take up roster spots.

Yea I've seen Blidh live a handful of times in Providence and he has always stood out. He is a major pest, a great speedy forecheck, hits everything.

The last game I saw him, he actually got hurt half way through the game on a hit and didn't come back.

Who knows how much offense he can bring, but I love the energy. He makes lots of D-man nervous with his forecheck, resulting in some poor passes and turnovers.

Excited to see what he can bring.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Very glad to hear he's getting another shot, and where he started in Ottawa.

Thanks for all the memories, Cage! All the best!

radmcfad

Apr 19, 2006
Upon hearing that Kelly had signed with Ottawa, Coach Julien left the office early complaining of migraine symptoms.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Chris Kelly, 35, will play again in the National Hockey League, but it won't be with the Bruins.

The Bruins' former alternate captain, well-respected in the dressing room for his fiery leadership, signed on Thursday with his first NHL team, the Ottawa Senators, on a one-year deal for $900,000. B's GM Don Sweeney had expressed interest in re-signing Kelly when he spoke to reporters at the draft, but a deal never materialized. When the B's added bottom-six depth with the signing of Riley Nash, as well as Tim Schaller and Tyler Randell, it seemed as though there was no longer a fit for Kelly. The addition of David Backes, known for his leadership as well, also made Kelly expendable.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...chris_kelly_leaves_bruins_to_return_to_ottawa

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I wish him all the best. He will help the Sens and it seems the fans are glad to have him. Perfect spot for him.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Nice, I called this exactly in another thread. He still lives in Ottawa, and their PK was awful. It just makes perfect sense.

Best of luck to the cage, a real warrior for us.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
A part of me was hoping he would be back for 1 more year to beat up Shaw again.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
Damn good Bruins, leader, checker, bawls. Now a 4th liner and I like acciardi there but will be missed. Took a lot of crap from people who don't know if a puck is made of rubber or chocolate but 3rd line center on championship team. Best wishes!

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Another part of the glue from the '11 and '13 Cup teams gone. A key leader and glue guy along with Boychuk, Thornton. His leadership was vastly underrated by most but it was extremely important. The players on last years team even commented on how much his voice was missed in the locker room after he was hurt. Just check out Marchand's heartfelt tweet from earlier today. This is a bigger loss that most people give credit for but I don't have a problem with it. The skill just isn't there anymore. They needed a vocal leader to go along with Chara and Bergeron who lead by example. That has been missing since Boychuk, Thornton, and now Kelly were ushered out. Backes appears to be the type who will get in a young players face. He led the Blues to the final four last year. That has to mean something. Hopefully, he will be the answer there.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
Great guy, great leadership in '11, but I am glad to see him sign with the Sens

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Chris Kelly has been medically and physically cleared to play. We all know Sweeney is going to sign him. How much and for how long do you think ?

My guess is 2 years at $2.5 to $3 million annually. More money that WON'T be going to fill REAL needs for the team:deadhorse.

Another bullseye by the Doom Squad. :naughty:

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Thanks for everything, Kells. Every successful team needs guys like that - vocal leader, rallier, versatile and smart, solid bottom 6 contributor when he was in his prime. All the best in Ottawa.
:handclap:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It's a real shame that incompetent **** Chia had to give Kelly to much term and to much $$$ to the point that even fans of his wished him gone. He deserved better. Hope that's what he finds in Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad