Confirmed with Link: (Updated) Chris Kelly signs with Ottawa. 1 YR @ 900K

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Leadership doesn't mean squat if you can't:

Put the puck in the opposing team's net
Stop the puck from going into yours

Chris Kelly cannot, at this stage, help either of those things. Pass on him.

Yup, you're better off with somebody like Randell on the 4th who can actually do SOMETHING.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I feel like this organization feels that it owes something to players who have helped them in the past. I get it, kinda... but when it involves the possibility of resigning a soon to be 36 year old after a severe surgery on his leg, I just shake my head.

If you can sign him cheap (less than a million) then, yes, maybe go for it. But if not, see ya.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I feel like this organization feels that it owes something to players who have helped them in the past. I get it, kinda... but when it involves the possibility of resigning a soon to be 36 year old after a severe surgery on his leg, I just shake my head.

If you can sign him cheap (less than a million) then, yes, maybe go for it. But if not, see ya.

I don't care if he's free. I don't want him taking a spot from anybody. I think he'll be worse than Kemp and Talbot were last season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Kelly at one-year, 925k (meaning his contract can be buried in the AHL with no cap implications) on the surface seems like a reasonable move.

But the fact that many have zero faith Claude will use him correctly (or scratch him if he has 12 better forwards) or Sweeney will sign him only to bury him in the minors, makes bringing Kelly back under any circumstances a bad move.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
If Sweeney makes this his priority, then I fully accept that he has no clue on what this team needs.

Bruins have plenty of leadership, we need talent, especially on the backend.

Leadership? We've had Bergeron, Chara, Seidenberg, Krejci, Talbot, Marchand, McQuaid all on various cup teams. If we need more leadership than that, then I don't know what else to say. We need talent to go with them. Not a guy that was on his last legs over a year ago.

I do not want Chris Kelly back even if he works for free, but the leadership you speak of has failed miserably when it was needed most, for 3 years in a row.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I do not want Chris Kelly back even if he works for free, but the leadership you speak of has failed miserably when it was needed most, for 3 years in a row.

Don't think Kelly would be a net positive merely because hes not someone who can pal around with young players in need of friends like Dougie. Older guy with a family who is going to contribute to the 20 guys 20 cabs culture that currently exists on the team.

We really need younger leadership.

Great player up until 2012 but he was horrible for us after that (mainly due to injury.) Just move on.

moonshot summit

Jun 30, 2015
Halifax, NS
Well, thanks for everything Kelly. A warrior. Not worth the 3 million, but a good bottom 6 forward nonetheless. Good luck in Ottawa. Glad he didn't have to retire after that horrible injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Well, thanks for everything Kelly. A warrior. Not worth the 3 million, but a good bottom 6 forward nonetheless. Good luck in Ottawa. Glad he didn't have to retire after that horrible injury.

Ditto.

I appreciate what he was, how hard he played and what he accomplished here, but I'm glad he's not on this team going forward.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Glad to see Kelly found a job for next season. Hopefully now he can go out on his own terms.

Glad his job isn't in Boston. It was time to move on.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I love what he did for the Bruins in his first few years but sometime around 2013 he turned into hot garbage.

I fully believe that if he had decided to pass to Seguin at 9:00 in this video, the Bruins would have won the Cup and it would have changed everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90BAj2erbXI

That was the exact moment I wanted him gone forever.

If it wasn't then, it was six months later. I would have waived him the day after this fiasco:

Anyway, I got my wish, so I can let it go now.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I was worried when I saw the Thread. And then noticed it was the Senators. Thank god.

Thanks Chris for all your time here. Hope you do well against everyone except us.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
:cheer:

This is good for 2 reasons. He found a job and it isn't with the Bruins.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Never shortchanged us on the effort, his line held us in that first round in 2011 so we could win it in 7, not his fault he was kept for too long at the expense of others.

So thanks Chris, always a Bruin, but definitely time for us to move on.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Good luck to you Kelly! I enjoyed your time here despite my constant cries to move you for defense.

Chris Kelly is 35 and probably going to be cooked soon. He did have a couple major injuries, though.

But, it just gets me scared because we have 18 million invested in centers that are 32, 30, and 30 years old all with varying injury histories. It can go downhill REAL QUICK

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Glad he got a deal, I'll be forever thankful for the constant effort he gave out there and his role in the cup run

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Good to see he signed on elsewhere. Helluva player in his tenure here - always gave a top notch effort. Just happened to get signed for a little too long by PC. Another SC member gone. Not many left now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad