Confirmed with Link: (Updated) Chris Kelly signs with Ottawa. 1 YR @ 900K

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
Chris Kelly has been medically and physically cleared to play. We all know Sweeney is going to sign him. How much and for how long do you think ?

My guess is 2 years at $2.5 to $3 million annually. More money that WON'T be going to fill REAL needs for the team:deadhorse.

Last edited by a moderator:

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
He should be groomed as the coach for providence maybe an assistant this year. I

liked him a lot pre 2014 but its time to move on. He had a horrific injury and we do not

need to keep blocking the next wave. Had we done this to the present wave we would

have never won the cup. They next core needs to be found, and given time or there

will be a huge experience gap. Its already overdue, refresh, repeat like the Hawks,

and Pens or be Carolina

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
He will get 1y/1m deal. Or what is the least that a veteran player can get?

I could live with 1 year at $1 million. With what they gave K. Miller though, I am thinking due to how Julien over values Kelly, he will get 2 to 3 times what he should. I will try and contain my anger until something actually happens but I think we all know what is coming.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
1 year 1 million or let him walk.

He's an important leader on the team, and if he recovered perfectly, he's a great 4th line C and PKer... anything more than 1.5m, anything more than 1 year, let Chiarelli or Benning get him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
1 year 1 million or let him walk.

He's an important leader on the team, and if he recovered perfectly, he's a great 4th line C and PKer... anything more than 1.5m, anything more than 1 year, let Chiarelli or Benning get him.

Other than leadership and intangibles, this guy brings nothing to the table on the ice. 7 pts in his last 41 games as a Bruin.

He's was slow before a leg-injury cost him a season. He's broken both legs in the last 3 years and sat out the last quarter of 2014 with a back injury.

Doesn't have the wheels anymore to play C, even on the 4th line. If he's brought back the only place for him is 4th line LW. That's it.

He's a mediocre face-off guy, always has been. Good to have on a 4th line in case the regular C gets tossed, but I wouldn't want him taking draws on a regular basis.

Now normally I detest the idea of signing any 35 year old veteran. But as it stands right now Boston's LW situation after you get past Marchand-Belesky-Vatrano(if he doesn't end up on RW) is pretty sketchy. If the season started tomorrow Rinaldo probably makes the team again, it's that bad. Their isn't anyone at LW down in Providence that appears ready to move up, Blidh maybe but he's still just a 2nd year pro.

I'd give it a month before signing Kelly. Exhaust all options to improve the LW position. Wait to see how the Vesey sweepestakes turn out

But if the LW situation is the same come Aug.15 as it is today, I'd offer Kelly 1-year, 750k. That's it, not a penny or year more. If he can find a better deal elsewhere so be it. I doubt he can, better and younger veterans than him had to take PTOs last summer just to get to a camp.

That being said, Sweeney likely offers him the 1-year, 1.2 million he would of paid Connolly on July 1.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I've been on the fence about Sweeney's performance as a GM. But if he signs Kelly to a player contract, that will push me over it. Either get a quality replacement or give a prospect a chance. With K. Miller re-signed and Seidenberg and Hayes still on the roster, it will simply be M.O.T.S. On Causeway Street.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Chris Kelly has been medically and physically cleared to play. We all know Sweeney is going to sign him. How much and for how long do you think ?

My guess is 2 years at $2.5 to $3 million annually. More money that WON'T be going to fill REAL needs for the team:deadhorse.

If Sweeney does this, I will go get in my car right now and go down there and fire him myself.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Kelly has a hat trick - broken tibia, broken fibula, broken femur. That said, a year at minimum would be reasonable - but would probably be less than what other teams offer. There are plenty of teams out there with little-to-no chance at the playoffs who might be willing to pay for veteran experience over skill...the question is cap space.

However, a two year contract at any salary would be crazy. He'll be 38 years old at the end of it....and these aren't Zdeno Chara "I'm-a-god-and-don't-get-injured" years. His body has some miles on it. And that's not even considering that he hasn't played an NHL game since November - being "cleared to play" and being "ready to play at the NHL level" are two different things.

I would love to see him in a Bs uniform in a year, at a reasonable salary. The team did seem to lose a little bit of leadership. Plus, the way he went out was awful...a lame ending to a great career. After that year, I'd still love to see him in a Bs uniform...dropping a ceremonial puck.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
we've got Bergeron and Chara yet people want to sign him for his leadership skills. If you're a pro athlete and cant get motivated by those two then Chris Kelly isn't going to help. If they let Connolly walk and sign Kelly I will be joining the group looking for Sweeney/Neely's head

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If Sweeney is moving towards a faster skating skilled team, this would be a step back. I'm all set with him. Like Wally said, give him a Coaching spot if all he brings is leadership. He's got no wheels. I won't be too happy if he gets signed.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Definitely time to move on. I wish him the best wherever he goes though. It'll be interesting to see how he rebounds. He was very reliant on his skating so I wonder how much that will be affected coming off that injury.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Old, slow and injury prone, isn't that what this team is trying to get away from?

I saw Calgary didn't offer Joe Colborne anything.

19 goals, 25 assists, 44 points, offer the guy 2 million or 2.5 and see if he wants to come back.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I do miss the leadership he brings. It is sorely needed IMO.

Having said that I'd offer him a staff position somewhere in the Org..

I agree with the second part but Kelly's leadership didn't seem to help 2 years ago.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Old, slow and injury prone, isn't that what this team is trying to get away from?

I saw Calgary didn't offer Joe Colborne anything.

19 goals, 25 assists, 44 points, offer the guy 2 million or 2.5 and see if he wants to come back.

If he can't rebound from his injury. Kelly was never slow; skating was probably his best asset.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He was horrible before the injury, and was terrible the second half of the year before that.

Why in the **** would you want to sign a guy that can't play anymore coming off of a major injury?

Why why why why why why why why why why why?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
He was horrible before the injury, and was terrible the second half of the year before that.

Why in the **** would you want to sign a guy that can't play anymore coming off of a major injury?

Why why why why why why why why why why why?

Clode Clode Clode Clode Clode Clode Clode Clode Clode Clode Clode

(Couldn't resist)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->