News Article: (UPD Official Now) Winnipeg White Out Street Party

bek816

Mar 17, 2012
I don't understand this fixation with holding at at the Forks. Part of the fun is having it literally next door. I don't want to pre-game at the party, walk halfway across downtown, and then head back to the Forks. Not to mention the poor transportation and parking options. No to the Forks! It's perfect where it is.

Could not agree more. 27,000 tickets sold. Only 15,000 at the street party. Nearly 1/2 of the tickets went unused. Massive fail by TNSE and the City of Winnipeg. Hold it at the Forks to avoid this problem.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I never thought of that but why don't they have the whiteout parties at the forks? Can fit way more people and they would be removed from the streets of downtown. Also there would be grass to sit on.

Because True North has business ventures in the Donald and Graham area. That trumps the amount of grass available to sit on.

bek816

Mar 17, 2012
Because True North has business ventures in the Donald and Graham area. That trumps the amount
of grass available to sit on.

Moxies and Shark Club? I think Shark Club would be busy regardless and Moxies is always busy.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Moxies and Shark Club? I think Shark Club would be busy regardless and Moxies is always busy.

Nah, they actually own a lot of the properties around that area. The big construction project is them. They have big plans for that area, and want to make that the go to place for winnipeg.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Can't wait until True North square is done , then there will be a permanent spot for this , no question . 2 years ago i was in Los Angeles for a Jets game and the set up they have there is awesome , restaurants , bars , huge screens with the game on , hope True north does something close to this .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I never thought of that but why don't they have the whiteout parties at the forks? Can fit way more people and they would be removed from the streets of downtown. Also there would be grass to sit on.
If you did the Street Party at the Forks you would virtually eliminate any cross over from those going to the game and those going to the Street party. Part of my game day fun along with many others has been to get things started at the street Party and then go in for the game. No way people will go to the Forks and then make the hike to the arena.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This was the original plan back in 1995. The Spirit of Manitoba group wanted to put an 18,000 seat arena on that parcel of land, but as we all know, the group could not raise the necessary funding to build it. Sam Katz then proposed a plan to build a new baseball park instead, for the Goldeyes, and for the Pan Am Games. The ballpark was completed (sans right field seating) in spring 1999.

I don't believe there was the "political will" at that time with Glen Murray who was Mayor at that time [mod]

Now things are different expect the "new arena " issue to come up again --and I'd like to see it at the Forks. Maybe I'll run for Mayor :)

We need 18,000 to 20,000 seats--with good parking--"at the Forks"

Last edited by a moderator:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I don't believe there was the "political will" at that time with Glen Murray who was Mayor at that time [mod].

Now things are different expect the "new arena " issue to come up again --and I'd like to see it at the Forks. Maybe I'll run for Mayor :)

We need 18,000 to 20,000 seats--with good parking--"at the Forks"

From what I can see, there is no area large enough at the Forks to accommodate an arena even as small as BMTSP. Unless you tear down the baseball stadium.

There used to be a nice, large available space but building the CMHR pretty much messed that up. Oh wait, speaking of things you could tear down and nobody would care... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
From what my mom told me Transcona Biz wanted to show the game in the square on Regent but couldn't get the rights to show the game.
Sometimes smaller scale is much better. 10 small parties scattered throughout the town would probably do more for the community than one massive party.

Missed opportunity

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Sometimes smaller scale is much better. 10 small parties scattered throughout the town would probably do more for the community than one massive party.

Missed opportunity

I would have much preferred that. I got the experience downtown but almost getting knocked over so someone can get a beer isn't worth it. Atmosphere was amazing though.

bek816

Mar 17, 2012

Missed opportunity

Disagree. I know people from Headingley & St. Norbert that have gone out of their way to get downtown. When you consider all of the exposure, fun, and business it's created downtown, it would have been a huge mistake to have some smaller regional block parties. And I haven't even gotten to the booze regulations and security concerns. Good luck trying to get the LC to license the park nextdoor to my condo lol

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't understand this fixation with holding at at the Forks. Part of the fun is having it literally next door. I don't want to pre-game at the party, walk halfway across downtown, and then head back to the Forks. Not to mention the poor transportation and parking options. No to the Forks! It's perfect where it is.

The Forks is built to handle over 50,000. There is tons of parking there, as much as for anywhere downtown. It has a stage where screens can be set up that a large crowd can see plus perfect for setting up sound.

They are at the point where there could be multiple events going. They could have a pre-game event on Donald & Graham mainly geared towards people heading to the game (as people will want to be outside in this weather) and maybe a few thousand during the game.

I've heard from several people who have gone to the Street Party once that they wouldn't go again because they couldn't see the screens.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I would say last nights WOSP was much better organized. We were at a massive screen at a good height in the parking lot behind The Pint. Even a friend who is 5’0” said she was able to clearly watch the entire game.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The ticket thing just needs to be scrapped. I had tickets but didn't go because coordinating with people who needed to get them on game day was a hassle. I would of had to meet them at the gate mid game and I had no desire to do that.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg

I totally agree with this poster's location for the Bell Mts Center- and that would be the Forks-where the Goldeyes play.Would be way better for parking, and outdoor events.

The guy that pushed for this arena was Mayor Glen Murray, and he did not have Hockey in mind, but more of an arena for concerts. It was thought at the time, we were to small a market to get the team back.

I think this "present location" will eventually be replaced by a "new arena" at the Forks.

Totally. I’m sure they’re spending half a billion dollars on TN square, just to move the arena well away from it :help:

Next arena will be right around there. If you’re worried about parking, do what I do. Hop on da bus. It drops me off right in front of the building.

BellMTS place is in a perfect location. If it was built at the Forks, even though close, downtown would not have seen the rejuvenation it has, since the Jets returned. An arena needs to be central. Especially in a tiny market like ours. Much more important than parking.

Last edited:

y2gray

Jul 27, 2011
I have up to 4 tickets to the street party tonight that I don't need and can transfer to a ticketmaster account, free of charge of course! Message me if you need em!

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Economic Development of Winnipeg said 11,000 fans came yesterday out of 37,000 tickets distributed. About 30%.

So, the point of the ticket distribution system was so they could predict how many people will show up. Seems like they're "estimates" were much closer to matching actual attendance prior to introducing the ticketing system.

Admit the mistake and go back to the organic roots of the party ... it's a damn street party, allow people to show up ... if you reach capacity turn people away ... seems like a better plan than having people not show up at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad