News Article: (UPD Official Now) Winnipeg White Out Street Party

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
They have ruined this thing.

Maybe beyond repair.

Not for the 11,000 people that went. I'm sure they still enjoyed themselves. TNSE didn't ruin this... it's the people that thought they could flip free tickets for money so they horded all the tickets... they "ruined" it.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I heard there's a big screen setup near the police station/post office where you can bring a chair to watch the game - is this true, and if so, how was that? (as someone earlier said they went home from the main area as they couldn't see the screen)

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg

Maybe beyond repair.
I guess we'll find out soon if changes are coming...

Thousands of tickets left unused for Monday's Winnipeg whiteout party | CBC News

Matt Schaubroeck, spokesperson with Economic Development Winnipeg, said the stakeholders are meeting on Tuesday to debrief.

"We're reviewing whether it's possible to have other options all stakeholders are happy with," he said when asked whether future parties would be adjusted in some way.

Organizers have disagreed publicly over the ticketing policy. Economic Development Winnipeg said police mandated the tickets, but police said they simply wanted capacity to be limited.

Reactions: purdy44

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Not for the 11,000 people that went. I'm sure they still enjoyed themselves. TNSE didn't ruin this... it's the people that thought they could flip free tickets for money so they horded all the tickets... they "ruined" it.
I was there. Compared to the others it was a lifeless waste of effort to be out there before the game.

The ticketing is stupid and unneccessary, and it took 20 mins to get through the metal detector search.

Stupid decisions all around. Fixing something un-broken.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
I heard there's a big screen setup near the police station/post office where you can bring a chair to watch the game - is this true, and if so, how was that? (as someone earlier said they went home from the main area as they couldn't see the screen)

Its just west of the Pint. It basically backs onto the wall where the old St Regis Hotel was. This is the best TV out of all of them

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
I was there. Compared to the others it was a lifeless waste of effort to be out there before the game.

The ticketing is stupid and unneccessary, and it took 20 mins to get through the metal detector search.

If they want to do tickets just print them and have everyone pick up a "free" one before you enter. It will still be 27,000 people

As or searches they need that for security reasons as weapons will get in more frequently

Reactions: purdy44

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The problem seems to be that they were free tickets, so people just grabbed the maximum that they could "just in case".

I think the easiest solution is, sadly, to charge for tickets. Make it $5 or $10 per ticket - and make sure it goes to charity so people don't feel like they're being nickle and dimed But that way people won't buy more tickets than they will use, and as well police can keep track of numbers.

High Society

Apr 13, 2015
WhatsApp Image 2018-05-14 at 8.28.33 PM.jpeg

The big screen is pretty nice on Smith. There were people with lawn chairs in the back and the view was pretty decent as well.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The problem seems to be that they were free tickets, so people just grabbed the maximum that they could "just in case".

I think the easiest solution is, sadly, to charge for tickets. Make it $5 or $10 per ticket - and make sure it goes to charity so people don't feel like they're being nickle and dimed But that way people won't buy more tickets than they will use, and as well police can keep track of numbers.

Or perhaps they could remove the stupid ticket requirement, and leave it an organic grassroots movement.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON

The easiest solution is to print out 27k tickets and hand them out at the street party, first come first serve. None of this online purchasing days in advance. Did NO ONE organizing think this was going to play out exactly how it did? If we get to the SCF, they better get the Pavilion at the Forks going as well.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Or perhaps they could remove the stupid ticket requirement, and leave it an organic grassroots movement.

It was never an organic grassroots movement. It is and was a party centrally organized by True North, Economic Development Winnipeg and the Police.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Police presence last night was absurd. I didn't attend the street party but went to the game and viewed it from the skywalk. I get the worry about terrorist attacks, but I'm not sure they need the show of force they had there last night, both in number and automatic weapons.

Reactions: robertocarlos

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

Maybe beyond repair.

I agree they just might of wrecked it beyond repair, I sure as heck don’t wanna go back again.

If TNSE didn’t this this stupidity come with issuing tickets online they are bigger fools down there they we think, especially from the logistics stand point.

It’s just really Disappointing and if they don’t come up with a viable solution then they sure know how to kill a party atmosphere not unlike being trapped in that building this season. And I don’t care what other clubs in the league do.

Let’s see how they screw up that square once it’s finished now.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegr8one66

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
10s of thousands of people coming downtown, buying beer and food from local vendors and pumping money into the local economy and they figure out a way to screw even that up. This is literally of people saying "shut up and take our money" and they are ruining it with this ticket nonsense. Just scrap this ticket business and move on.

Also can the city even restrict people from coming to a public place at an event that is atleast partially funded by the taxpayers (even if the tickets are free)?

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There seems to be plenty of blame going on as to who was behind the policy change. I think they know they messed up and hopefully they scrap the ticket garbage and come up with a better way to measure the capacity.

I have no issue with tight security, as unfortunatey as we have seen attacks can happen anywhere. I would rather stand an extra few minutes in line to get in and know that they are taking the appropriate lengths to ensure mine and everyone else' safety.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
There seems to be plenty of blame going on as to who was behind the policy change. I think they know they messed up and hopefully they scrap the ticket garbage and come up with a better way to measure the capacity.

I have no issue with tight security, as unfortunatey as we have seen attacks can happen anywhere. I would rather stand an extra few minutes in line to get in and know that they are taking the appropriate lengths to ensure mine and everyone else' safety.

Nothing is ensured. Security at ground level won't stop a well positioned sniper a la Vegas.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

you have a case of organizations wanting to show their value/worth and that they deserve funding. so they stick their crooked noses into other people's business.
one hopes they'll back off.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
you have a case of organizations wanting to show their value/worth and that they deserve funding. so they stick their crooked noses into other people's business.
one hopes they'll back off.
I mean , if you want to tell metal detectors are neccesary I would disagree but agree to disagree (my buddy tells me he was at a giant crowd event at Time Square and there were no metal detectors).

The hassle of the ticket system definitely feels like some group wanting to get their impact felt on what had been organic, and to get patted on the back.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I mean , if you want to tell metal detectors are neccesary I would disagree but agree to disagree (my buddy tells me he was at a giant crowd event at Time Square and there were no metal detectors).

The hassle of the ticket system definitely feels like some group wanting to get their impact felt on what had been organic, and to get patted on the back.

Right or wrong I'd guess the thinking is metal detectors are used to get into MTS Center so they're being used for the street party.

Pickle Rick

Nov 11, 2016
If there can be 2 million people in Times Square for New Years Eve with no ticketing policy, I'm preeeeeety sure we can have a Whiteout Street Party without the stupid ticket crap. To me, the only reason this is an issue is because alcohol is being sold and consumed in the streets meaning the area needs more control. I guarantee if there was no beer on the streets this policy would never have happened.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I can live with the metal detectors. They have to leave it free to come and go though without tickets.
yeah I was going to say they should just print off all the tickets and hand them out to those who want them. Would they be worried about a stampede? haha

I guess it'll be interesting to see what if anything different they do for the next one. Unfortunately probably not much, they've made their bed and will continue to lie in it.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If there can be 2 million people in Times Square for New Years Eve with no ticketing policy, I'm preeeeeety sure we can have a Whiteout Street Party without the stupid ticket crap. To me, the only reason this is an issue is because alcohol is being sold and consumed in the streets meaning the area needs more control. I guarantee if there was no beer on the streets this policy would never have happened.

So what you're saying is get rid of the beer... ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->