News Article: (UPD Official Now) Winnipeg White Out Street Party

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
April 6, 2018
WINNIPEG, MB – The Whiteout is headed to the streets of Winnipeg, and everyone is welcome to join in the celebration.
As part of the Winnipeg Jets playoff push, Economic Development Winnipeg announced today that it was hosting a street party, named the Winnipeg Whiteout Street Party. This event gives fans a place to cheer on the Jets while showcasing Winnipeg to the world.
“This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity. This is our chance to showcase Winnipeg to the world,” said Dayna Spiring, President and CEO of Economic Development Winnipeg. “Our city has been waiting a long time for a hockey team that has a chance for a deep playoff run. We wanted to provide a venue to channel that energy that was safe, welcoming and fun for fans.”
The Winnipeg Whiteout Street Party will take place before and during every Jets home playoff game, and will be located on Donald Street between Portage and Graham Avenues.
“Playoff fever has been building up in this city and we anticipate that fans will want a place to come together to share their energy and excitement,” said Kevin Donnelly, Senior Vice-President, Venues & Entertainment, True North Sports + Entertainment. “We’ve seen the success of similar events in cities like Calgary and Nashville and it’s our turn to put Winnipeg in the spotlight, showcase our amazing city, and give the best hockey fans in the NHL the party that they deserve.”
This free family-friendly event will feature two large viewing screens to watch the hockey action live, as well as food and beverages available for purchase on-site.
“Winnipeg’s a sports city, and hockey is a big part of who we are,” said Mayor Brian Bowman. “I want to encourage everyone to get behind our home team, show your pride in our city, and demonstrate why the Winnipeg Jets will be Canada’s team during this year’s playoffs.”
The Winnipeg Whiteout Street Party offers a safe and fun downtown setting for fans to celebrate as a community, while also providing a stage for Winnipeg to showcase the excitement and culture of our city through media who will be covering the Winnipeg Jets from across North America.
More details on the Winnipeg Whiteout Street Party will be made in advance of Game 1 of the Jets playoff series.

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

City mulling downtown street closure for potential Jets playoff party | CBC News

The city is examining whether it can close a downtown street near Bell MTS Place to serve as a public gathering spot during the upcoming Stanley Cup playoffs, when the Winnipeg Jets have the potential to enjoy a lengthy playoff run.
Officials with the city, Economic Development Winnipeg and True North Sports & Entertainment are planning some form of public event — potentially with an outdoor viewing screen — during the NHL playoffs.
The precise location for the proposed gathering space, how long it would run and the potential cost remain up in the air, as it's unclear who will foot the tab for party, never mind how long the Jets will continue to compete.
"I hope we're having this conversation in late May," said Economic Development Winnipeg president and CEO Dayna Spiring, who was tapped by Mayor Brian Bowman to co-ordinate the planning for the events.
"That's the best-case scenario. If I have to go look for money in late May, I like my chances pretty well."

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Obviously they can't close Portage ave so it would be one of the side streets , i don't know if that's enough room . Plus getting into the arena would be a nightmare , it's tough to get in during the regular season . The Forks makes the most sense , like they did for Hometown Hockey a while back .

Reactions: Cellee

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Donald makes the most sense because people can come and go from the Met. It would be really nice if they could lift the re-entry ban just for the playoffs so we could come and go from game to any outdoor activities.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
My first choice would be the Forks, just like when thousands gathered when it was announced True North had purchased the Thrashers.

What about the Corydon Village? It is the closest thing Winnipeg has that resembles Red Mile in Calgary, and Whyte Avenue in Edmonton. The high population density, bars and restaurants in the area would make it the perfect place to party.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
My first choice would be the Forks, just like when thousands gathered when it was announced True North had purchased the Thrashers.

What about the Corydon Village? It is the closest thing Winnipeg has that resembles Red Mile in Calgary, and Whyte Avenue in Edmonton. The high population density, bars and restaurants in the area would make it the perfect place to party.

Osborne Village? Or Corydon Avenue?

Both are very busy so that would be a nightmare.

We get enough interlopers in Spring/Summer as is.:laugh:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I think it has to be a street adjacent to the arena. You want the crowd to be able to come out after a win and join the fun.

Donald between Portage and Graham makes the most sense.

"A street closure alongside Bell MTS Place would pose logistical problems, however.
Hargrave Street, to the west of the arena, is a narrow two-lane thoroughfare. Carlton Street, one block over, must offer motor-vehicle access to True North Square, where construction crews remain at work.
Graham Avenue is a bus corridor, while both Donald Street and Portage Avenue are heavily used by Winnipeg Transit and personal vehicles."

source: City mulling downtown street closure for potential Jets playoff party | CBC News

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yes, it most certainly would.

This is not your suburb with big store parking lots and tons of space.

Nightmare

Calgary and Edmonton were fine shutting down several blocks on 17th Ave SW and Whyte Ave, streets arguably used more often than Corydon Avenue. I guess you are not old enough to remember the "Red Mile" in 2004.

Last edited:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Wrong.

Calgary and Edmonton were fine shutting down several blocks on 17th Ave SW and Whyte Ave, streets arguably used more often than Corydon Avenue.
You have yet to actually make a compelling point to this specific area in Winnipeg so, good day.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
"A street closure alongside Bell MTS Place would pose logistical problems, however.
Hargrave Street, to the west of the arena, is a narrow two-lane thoroughfare. Carlton Street, one block over, must offer motor-vehicle access to True North Square, where construction crews remain at work.
Graham Avenue is a bus corridor, while both Donald Street and Portage Avenue are heavily used by Winnipeg Transit and personal vehicles."

source: City mulling downtown street closure for potential Jets playoff party | CBC News
"Heavily used by Winnipeg Transit" must mean the 99 route that runs down Donald 9 times between 6pm and Midnight on weekdays. I don't think the transit system will collapse if that gets rerouted on game nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->