Confirmed with Link: UPD Morrissey Suspended One Game by DOPS

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
One of the things I find most interesting I've found is how often we are referred to as a dirty team now on other boards an in the comments of the athletic by wild fans.

We haven't dressed a fighter all season and by my count we only have had 3 players on our roster ever suspended.

Buff- 4 games for cross checking
Trouba- 2 games for a high hit
Lowry -1 game for boarding

That's 7 games on the whole roster of suspensions.

After watching Malkin nearly kill Wheels with a late hit that directly targeted the head and Little getting his neck broken and neither even recieved fine.... Honestly I'm at a loss for words

None

Feb 22, 2012
BB was even trying to say that Buffs hits have been illegal.

What does it say about an NHL team's head coach if they don't know the rules regarding blindside hits?

For the record, the NHL only penalizes blindside hits with regards to head contact and boarding. Neither of which Buff's committed during this series. In the case of boarding I'm not even sure there's any official language about blindside hits being more egregious than boarding where the player knows the hit is coming.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
My summation is after reading thru the comments is that most people are OK with this (1) game suspension handed down by DOPS. It is also apparent that posters feel that other types of incidents that have happened to our players, should be penalized as well, and maybe DOPS should really assess this, and clean up the game, and make it a little safer for all players ?

I think "all" posters will agree that if you go thru a "red light" with your car, you should get a ticket, whether "intentional or not." If we had no order on the streets, there would be massive accidents and casualties. We have to have "rules and order" for safety. If these rules are broken, they have to be policed with "penalties" to enforce them, and ensure they are respected. This is the system we all live under, and accept, to ensure safety for everyone.

In the game of Hockey -- I just don't think we can allow cross checking to the neck, face or head area, so I'm ok with this 1 game suspension. I want to see the Jets win as much as anyone, but we have to have rules, and they have to be enforced.

The Jet's have to accept this, and move on. They have lot's of depth, and Morrow has played great, and a good aquisition by Chevy, and also Chiarot has really come into his own and likely will be a permanent starter for the Jets. Poolman was also good in his last game. They may call up Melchiori or Niku-lot's of options, and the Wild are without key players as well. We should be fine-- especially if Myer's returns-that be great.

Note --it may be a good idea to try and play Joel Armia back on defense. He plays with a defensive style, and is a very good puck handler and has great size. I believe this was done with Buff, as he was once a forward. I personally think Armia would be a great defenseman -- be interesting to see how it would work.

I think the Jet's have a very good chance of winning this last game, and we can use this incident has "huge motivation" as the Jets will come out with bigtime intensity to prove they can beat the Wild even when playing short handed.

They may move Trouba to the left side for one game to replace Morrissey, and we also have Morrow, and Chiarot to slot in there. We should be "just fine" and I hope the Jets blow them right out of the arena -- "that just may happen." :thumbu: Odds are--the Jet's take this game, but must play hard.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So Niku plays tomorrow?
No one knows at this point. The panel on HNIC last night reported that Myers will be back Friday. So then there are 3 possibilities for the 3rd LHD. Toby is ready to return (no indication of this but best case scenario). Poolman moves over (he has some experience playing LHD but reviews are mixed). Or Niku gets inserted into the line up. Practice today will likely give us some hints, but Maurice won't confirm.

Reactions: GNP

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Quite a few posts from Wild fans stating the same. Last I heard a player with puck possession was hittable.

I've thought Buff's hit have been well timed masterpieces thus far.

Buff has done an incredible job hitting hard but cleanly.

The penalties he does get are more about him being back and doing a lot of damage rather than anything actually being illegal.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
One of the things I find most interesting I've found is how often we are referred to as a dirty team now on other boards an in the comments of the athletic by wild fans.

We haven't dressed a fighter all season and by my count we only have had 3 players on our roster ever suspended.

Buff- 4 games for cross checking
Trouba- 2 games for a high hit
Lowry -1 game for boarding

That's 7 games on the whole roster of suspensions.

After watching Malkin nearly kill Wheels with a late hit that directly targeted the head and Little getting his neck broken and neither even recieved fine.... Honestly I'm at a loss for words
Any team that is better than your own, is dirty. We should take it as a compliment.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
This is big news to Canadians in my opinion. Please consider that Eric Staal and Josh Morrissey are both Canadians and they were not polite who neither said sorry nor please or even a thank you! Our national identity is under scrutiny here!

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
One game is fair. Morrissey is not a dirty player so most possible that was just an accident, but still you are responsible for your actions.

I just hated in back in the day when one guy did a cross check straight to throat of my favourite FEL team player, in finals and got away with that with only 2 minutes penalty and no suspension. He happened to be the guy that made the GWG and as like a bad joke he was nominated with some fair play / gentleman award for that game. I guess he just had a bit similar brain fart than Morrissey, but still that was really a bad hit.

It's a completely different discussion why on earth Marchand and Malkin got away with what they did.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Note --it may be a good idea to try and play Joel Armia back on defense. He plays with a defensive style, and is a very good puck handler. I believe this was done with Buff, as he was once a forward. I personally think Armia would be a great defenseman -- be interesting to see how it would work.

Buff played D his whole life other than moving up for Chicago between 07 and 2010.

Reactions: GNP

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
I tried reading through this thread, a lot of angry fans. Why wasn't Staal, when he returned to the bench, taken to the dressing room to be checked for concussion protocols? He looked dazed.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Buff played D his whole life other than moving up for Chicago between 07 and 2010.

Well I guess I was mis-informed then, and I was told Buff played forward a lot during his life. He is best suited to play as a defenseman. I still think Armia, who has the size, and is a great defensive puck handler, should be tried out if we're short on D-men.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Why the hell would we move Armia to defence in game 5 of the playoffs when we have a Dman on the Moose that just won the Eddie Shore award for best AHL defense man?

Well you make a good point Gotaf -- as Game 5 in a playoff series is not the time to experiment, if you have more stable options. It is something to give consideration to for the future though, as I think Joel would make a great D-man.

If we were really "decimated" on defense-and needed an emergency fill in guy--I'd give this a shot.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
The only way I could ever see Army playing D is if 3 Dmen got injured in game, Maurice would be forced to move a guy back to finish the game out.
Situations like we find ourselves in right now is why they draft and develop, short a Dman bring one up.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Headbutting is an automatic 5 minute major and a game misconduct with the possibility of supplemental discipline.

The rule book is very clear on this.

I dunno man, the rule book is "clear" on lots of things that never, ever get called. Like cross checks. Do you not see cross checks constantly?

IMO the guy was provoked, it was heat of the moment and he booped Chiarot helmet to helmet. It didn't look like much to me. It would've been pretty crazy to call a game misconduct for that.

Morrisey's on the other hand was not in the middle of some scrum, unprovoked cross check to the side of the head. Staal definitely milked it but hey.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I find the DOPS situation funny.
Having George Parros heading it is like Al Capone doing tax audits.
No consistency and nobody to answer to.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Why the hell would we move Armia to defence in game 5 of the playoffs when we have a Dman on the Moose that just won the Eddie Shore award for best AHL defense man?

We wouldn't. We'd strip the Moose bare of all defensemen first.

Between Poolman, Niku (and one of Myers / Enstrom at some point), we'll be fine for one game.

Reactions: Gotaf7

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Morrissey deserved the suspension (as much as I want him to play tonight), but the DOPS is so inconsistent that its frustrating, Subban sucker punchs Mackinnon - nothing, Niederreiter headbutts Chairot - nothing. The line seems different for every team and every game. I get its the playoffs and you want to let players play (which i actually prefer over how the regular season is called) but if Morrissey deserves that Suspension I would think the others at least deserve a fine/hearing.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Not surprised by the suspension. Gut feeling says an action like that deserves a suspension. Precedent for similar plays says no. Got to give Boudreau credit. He got the whole hockey world focussed on Morrissey's crosscheck and how it cost them the game (ahem - Bullcrap). It doesn't seem right that a coach should be calling the shots for the DOPS. Why does Morrissey get held to a higher suspension standard that Marchand? Hard to understand but onward and upward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad