Confirmed with Link: UPD Morrissey Suspended One Game by DOPS

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I dunno man, the rule book is "clear" on lots of things that never, ever get called. Like cross checks. Do you not see cross checks constantly?

IMO the guy was provoked, it was heat of the moment and he booped Chiarot helmet to helmet. It didn't look like much to me. It would've been pretty crazy to call a game misconduct for that.

Morrisey's on the other hand was not in the middle of some scrum, unprovoked cross check to the side of the head. Staal definitely milked it but hey.

Then why have rules? The rules on headbutting are very clear and don't allow for referee Judgement.

An ATTEMPTED headbutt is a double minor.

An ACTUAL intentional headbutt of any kind is an automatic major.

No referee discretion.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Then why have rules? The rules on headbutting are very clear and don't allow for referee Judgement.

An ATTEMPTED headbutt is a double minor.

An ACTUAL intentional headbutt of any kind is an automatic major.

No referee discretion.

It's hockey. All of hockey is like this, I don't know what else to tell you. If they called by the rulebook there would be no 5 on 5.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that if Morrissey had received 5 and a game, he might not have received any supplemental discipline. Also, the refs would then have likely called the Niederreiter head-butt. Refs and the NHL area constantly trying to balance things out, especially in the playoffs.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I hate seeing Jets' fans turn around and go "but what about the time this guy did this and this" or "inconsistency! We should be allowed to get away with it because someone else did something before" etc. It's just blind homerism. If someone cross checked one of our players in the side of the head this board would be going nuts.

I don't think we should "get away with it" and think that 1 game for Morrissey was valid, but I will state that the levying of punishment *is* inconsistent. I don't want the Jets to get away with anything - I want all teams to be judged in a consistent manner. That's not homerism.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't think we should "get away with it" and think that 1 game for Morrissey was valid, but I will state that the levying of punishment *is* inconsistent. I don't want the Jets to get away with anything - I want all teams to be judged in a consistent manner. That's not homerism.

The league has a chance to demonstrate consistency today by suspending Kucherov and Hartman........wil they though?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
The only penalty they call objectively is delay of game. And I'm glad they do for that - because you can't get away with it you don't see nearly as many pucks over the glass. It makes a PKer's job way harder, but they've sucked it up and play within the rules.

If they started calling every cross-check for an entire season, you would see players change the way they play. You can play defensively without cross-checking, it's just a lot harder.

But it's the same thing with interference - one year the league will say they will call everything, and then they lighten up and then stop after the pre-season because people complain about too many penalties. Unfortunately it takes a while for players to change habits, and there is always an adjustment period. The NHL needs to have the guts to ignore the whiny media.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I think that if Morrissey had received 5 and a game, he might not have received any supplemental discipline. Also, the refs would then have likely called the Niederreiter head-butt. Refs and the NHL area constantly trying to balance things out, especially in the playoffs.
Yeah, it seems like it, however it makes it seem like a clown show when they do.

We all bitch about refs, however if they called a more consistent game, very few people would have issues with that.

The crux of the matter is refs not calling major infractions when they see them Headbutt, headshots etc.
In this case had they called all the ugly stuff they saw, no one here would really have an issue with JMo getting pinched by the DoPS...even though the optics make it seem there are less calls by the DoPS on the marquee players.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
League fails :(

Is there anyone who is not a Lightning fan that doesn't think this is worse than the Doughty hit? Left his skates, Vatanen was skating in a straight line (ie no last minute adjustments needed to avoid the head), elbow flies up during the hit, Vatanen is out for the game, and (with Boudreau logic) Kucherov was involved in all Lightning goals, which means had he been given a game misconduct NJ clearly would have won (sorry, couldn't resist).

I saw the NJ coach's post game interview - only 30s long, short answers. DoPS needs some drama to take action, dude. :help:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If you are a sun belt team you have a get out of jail free card. Watch Nashville will also get no hearing for Hartman as well.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'd say un f***ing believable but sadly it's completely believable with these dipshits. How does anyone take this seriously? They literally make assessments based on outside factors and influences, every one of their decisions are subjective bullshit.

The head wasn't the main point of contact?.....what the flying f***?! Well neither was JoMo's, he hit Staal's neck.

Clown show, complete clown show.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Note --it may be a good idea to try and play Joel Armia back on defense. He plays with a defensive style, and is a very good puck handler and has great size. I believe this was done with Buff, as he was once a forward. I personally think Armia would be a great defenseman -- be interesting to see how it would work.

No, this is not a good idea. I wouldn't want to see them experiment like this in pre-season, let alone a critical post-season game. They say, get the right tool for the job. I'm pretty sure there are still tools on the Moose.

That maybe didn't come out as complimentary as I had intended. :D

Reactions: GNP

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Well, Boudreau just called out the refs for being basically putting a blind eye to the cross check last game. Maybe the refs this game will have a long memory and 'miss' a few more.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'd say un ****ing believable but sadly it's completely believable with these dip****s. How does anyone take this seriously? They literally make assessments based on outside factors and influences, every one of their decisions are subjective bull****.

The head wasn't the main point of contact?.....what the flying ****?! Well neither was JoMo's, he hit Staal's neck.

Clown show, complete clown show.

Umm, maybe this should be your playoff avatar? ;)

RequiredImportantFlyingsquirrel-max-14mb.gif

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Why wouldn't he? His red faced rant has the DOPS kissing his ass. Now he wants the refs to do the same on Friday.

It's one thing to put as many eyes and ears on the cross check to sway the DOPS judgement, but I think it's another to call them out for purposely ignoring it. I could see it going the other way with the Refs for basically calling them incompetent.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Ok Jets, it’s time to put the baby to bed and his band of Nancy’s. G’nite Mild. We even have a Finnish man to play you a soft, sad melody on his violin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->