Unfortunate we will never know the outcome of the 2020 Canucks

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
You don't know they aren't going to try to play more regular season games. You don't know they are going to go with points percentage if they don't play anymore. Nobody knows what the plan is, not even Gary Bettman. It's a fluid situation.

You're claiming a victory when the situation is still unknown. But you do you, I'm done with this stupidity.

The situation is known. If the season is to recommence (which it likely isn’t), then the playoffs will start right away as to prevent any further delays. Canucks = playoffs. Benning Bro’s = celebration. Tankers = drawing board.

Reactions: SpiritOf82

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The situation is known. If the season is to recommence (which it likely isn’t), then the playoffs will start right away as to prevent any further delays. Canucks = playoffs. Benning Bro’s = celebration. Tankers = drawing board.

I really don't get why the team's success this year depends on if they make the playoffs because of a pandemic. There were a lot of positives this year. Pettersson, Hughes, Markstrom and Miller could of all been named team MVP this year and I wouldn't disagree with it. Tanner Pearson had a career year. Tyler Toffoli Played very well even if don't agree with giving up those assets for a rental. There were also plenty of negatives and questions though too. The team was first place in the division and fell out of a playoff spot. I Question how this team will do if Jacob Markstrom isn't performing at a Vezina Level. I also question if Travis Green and Nolan Baumgartner should be replaced. There are too many games where we start out flat, or get outplayed 5v5.

These negatives should not be overlooked if we make the playoffs. Neither should the positives if we don't make it

Reactions: Hammer79

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Let's assume that somehow they find a way to make the playoffs happen. The league isn't going to eliminate 9th place teams based on point percentage, especially if they have enough points to be in the playoffs. The NHL made their playoff system about points over games played, which leads to this ridiculous situation.

One way to do it would be to have a best of 3 with the 3rd place team from each division (on point %) play against 12th and 11th, WC1 vs 10th, WC2 vs 9th. Then reseed for the next round.

Stars vs Blackhawks
Canucks vs Coyotes
Preds vs Wild
Flames vs Jets

Penguins vs Canadiens
Leafs vs Rangers
Canes vs Panthers
Islanders vs Blue Jackets

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Congrats to your Pyrrhus victory. Cherry on the cake is spending a 2nd rounder and Madden for 10 games of Tyler Toffoli.

Reactions: Jyrki21

member 290103

What becomes of the JT Miller 1st rounder if the season ends and there are no playoffs? The way this COVID thing is going, you have to think that's a real possibility.

Are the Canucks a lottery team then?

Saw PK Subban saying he was good with every team in the NHL making the playoffs this year.....yeah, wonder why he would be "good" with that?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
What becomes of the JT Miller 1st rounder if the season ends and there are no playoffs? The way this COVID thing is going, you have to think that's a real possibility.

Saw PK Subban saying he was good with every team in the NHL making the playoffs this year.....yeah, wonder why he would be "good" with that?

I think that you toll all of the conditional picks by one season and throw everyone into a draft lottery and draw every position.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Funny thing is PK Subban got a slot on first take one of the most popular shows on ESPN. Meanwhile, Gray Bettman got a 2-minute segment on the morning "get up" that nobody watches when he explained what was going on with the NHL. Subban definitely knows how to market himself too bad he's no longer a star.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I really don't get why the team's success this year depends on if they make the playoffs because of a pandemic. There were a lot of positives this year. Pettersson, Hughes, Markstrom and Miller could of all been named team MVP this year and I wouldn't disagree with it. Tanner Pearson had a career year. Tyler Toffoli Played very well even if don't agree with giving up those assets for a rental. There were also plenty of negatives and questions though too. The team was first place in the division and fell out of a playoff spot. I Question how this team will do if Jacob Markstrom isn't performing at a Vezina Level. I also question if Travis Green and Nolan Baumgartner should be replaced. There are too many games where we start out flat, or get outplayed 5v5.

These negatives should not be overlooked if we make the playoffs. Neither should the positives if we don't make it

I think one of the narratives is to get our core group (aside from Horvat) some playoff experience and see if they can use that experience to take another step. Playoffs also allows for better evaluation of the team whether it is the players or coaching.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think one of the narratives is to get our core group (aside from Horvat) some playoff experience and see if they can use that experience to take another step. Playoffs also allows for better evaluation of the team whether it is the players or coaching.

Look how well that evaluation went last time...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Which would most likely mean Markstrom or Tanev is gone.

Yes, that is correct. For me personally though, I’d rather see what we could get for Boeser to clear cap space. I think trading Boeser would allow the Canucks to recoup the first lost in the Miller deal, or recoup a Tyler Maddenesque calibre prospect. Perhaps Boeser would be able to land us both pieces. I doubt that Benning will go this route (I think Benning will try and move Virtanen so that he can keep both Boeser and Toffoli).

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
In the Athletic's simulated reality, the Canucks have clinched the Pacific division. Winnipeg is out. Edmonton is in 8th with Nashville trailing by 1 point, each with one game to play.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 8.33.32 AM.png

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

And that's why it's so unbelievably weird for a wealthy businessman to make a binary decision based on what side of the playoff line the team falls slightly to as though it matters. Like "93 points? All's good! 91 points? We need a change!" The fact that the interrupted season should become a lifeline here is just mind-boggling when we have the information we need.

Reactions: IAMGROOT

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Yes, that is correct. For me personally though, I’d rather see what we could get for Boeser to clear cap space. I think trading Boeser would allow the Canucks to recoup the first lost in the Miller deal, or recoup a Tyler Maddenesque calibre prospect. Perhaps Boeser would be able to land us both pieces. I doubt that Benning will go this route (I think Benning will try and move Virtanen so that he can keep both Boeser and Toffoli).

What is this horseshit? You hope a pick 6-10 becomes as good as Boeser now.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What is this horseshit? You hope a pick 6-10 becomes as good as Boeser now.

I was attempting to be conservative. In reality, I think a 1st round pick + a Tyler Madden esque prospect would be fair value. Toffoli becomes our new top line RW while Virtanen becomes our 2nd/3rd line RW until Podkolzin is ready to step in and be that key cog on the 2nd line with Horvat (perhaps Leivo can be that filler until Podkolzin is ready).

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I was attempting to be conservative. In reality, I think a 1st round pick + a Tyler Madden esque prospect would be fair value. Toffoli becomes our new top line RW while Virtanen becomes our 2nd/3rd line RW until Podkolzin is ready to step in and be that key cog on the 2nd line with Horvat (perhaps Leivo can be that filler until Podkolzin is ready).

I think you’re underselling Boeser here if you look at PPG he’s average 65pt/game over his career if he plays a full 82 games. That’s the kind of production you hope for a top 10 pick. You really think a mid first and a decent but not amazing prospect in madden can match that? I mean Madden’s good but he’s not even 100% to make the show and I’m pretty sure the percentage that the first round pick matches boeser is also extremely low. If you trade Boeser it’s for a young D that’s just as established and fits the age group of our core IMO.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I think you’re underselling Boeser here if you look at PPG he’s average 65pt/game over his career if he plays a full 82 games. That’s the kind of production you hope for a top 10 pick. You really think a mid first and a decent but not amazing prospect in madden can match that? I mean Madden’s good but he’s not even 100% to make the show and I’m pretty sure the percentage that the first round pick matches boeser is also extremely low. If you trade Boeser it’s for a young D that’s just as established and fits the age group of our core IMO.

I hope you’re right and would be ecstatic if Boeser could fetch more than what I’m projecting, but I don’t think fans from the rest of the league share your viewpoint (if my Boeser proposal on the T&R board from a few weeks back is of any indication).

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I hope you’re right and would be ecstatic if Boeser could fetch more than what I’m projecting, but I don’t think fans from the rest of the league share your viewpoint (if my Boeser proposal on the T&R board from a few weeks back is of any indication).

I mean young top line right wingers like Boeser rarely come along. I think best case scenario for the Canucks regarding the first they lost is that if the season doesn’t continue and they use standings instead of point percentage which sees us 12th instead of 16th in which we keep our first and hopefully him and Podkolzin are ready to step in when Hughes and Petterson new deals kick in. It’s a deep draft we can get a good player at 12 especially if there’s a faller.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gary Bettman hinting today that the regular season may never be resumed....if so, they're going to have to come up with some sort of playoff format and decide which teams get in. Bound to make some GM's and owners unhappy.

They're even talking about 'neutral zone' playoff games in empty arenas, in out-of-the way states like North Dakota, where the Pandemic is less severe.

But if the social distancing and restrictions on crowd sizes remain in place until the end of June, it's hard to see how even a playoff structure can be salvaged. Might be better to just put an asterisk next to the season, and report directly to training camps in September.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Gary needs to talk to Dana about his island guy.

tradervik

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
In the Athletic's simulated reality (paywall), the Canucks finish first in the Pacific and will face Minnesota in the first round. Edmonton has shockingly crashed out of the playoffs.

In real life, I've seen some people advocating using 68 games as the cutoff for the final standings (all teams have played at least 68 games). This is based on the expectation that it will be impossible to have teams come back to play the same number of games (e.g. 72) let alone finish out the complete 82 game schedule. Under this rule, the Canucks squeak in as the 2nd wildcard team.

If they can't play more games for the regular season, I don't see any other way to see who qualifies for the playoffs other than this approach or points percentage. Maybe they'll add a 1 game "play in" scenario but, no matter how you slice it, if there are playoffs for the 2019/2020 season, the Canucks should be in.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
If they can't play more games for the regular season, I don't see any other way to see who qualifies for the playoffs other than this approach or points percentage. Maybe they'll add a 1 game "play in" scenario but, no matter how you slice it, if there are playoffs for the 2019/2020 season, the Canucks should be in.
If the season actually resumes before 2021 (I'm very doubtful) they will want to make up lost revenue wherever they can and I'd guess they would probably just expand the number of teams who are eligible, whether through play-ins or round robins or whatever.

I also think it's completely academic and that any of the sports leagues are delusional to think these seasons aren't done. But I guess there's always some hope and I'd be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: tradervik

tradervik

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
If the season actually resumes before 2021 (I'm very doubtful) they will want to make up lost revenue wherever they can and I'd guess they would probably just expand the number of teams who are eligible, whether through play-ins or round robins or whatever.

I also think it's completely academic and that any of the sports leagues are delusional to think these seasons aren't done. But I guess there's always some hope and I'd be happy to be wrong.

Maybe they can wrap up the players in some protective gear:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad