Unfortunate we will never know the outcome of the 2020 Canucks

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think Canada wrangles it under control quicker, since we closed our borders to the US, have less cases and live in cities less congested with foot traffic, our cities are more isolated from each other and we have a centralized health delivery system in each province with federal oversight.

The problem is that we are going to have to keep the US border closed until the Americans get a handle on it. Also, all of the NHL players returned home, many to Europe. The NHL can't start back up until international flights are allowed again, let alone Canada-USA routes.

It's a virus that can spread easily in large gatherings and people can be asymptomatic for up to two weeks or just asymptomatic outright. I don't know the details of the science & math of the numbers but I can't see how it's not just a matter of wrangling it under control quickly enough but rather smothering it for long enough until you can get some sort of vaccine or treatment out for it. Otherwise say things seem good in a few months so we ease up and all go back to normal, there's still likely going to be a few asymptomatic cases out there and you're just going to be a few months away to being right back to where we are now.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Canada mismanaged this equally and is on the same trajectory. Just behind. There wont ve a difference between Canada and the US. At this point it's not about stopping the virus because it wont be stopped. It's about slowing it so health care systems are not overwhelmed. Vaccines are two years away at minimum if we can even develop any and herd immunity if it works is also far away unless you want to accept millions of extra deaths (hundreds of thousands in Canadas case). So restrictions are going to be arround for quite a while and frankly I am more inclined to think the 2020 - 2021 season doesnt happen at all as well. Atleast not with fans. This is unprecedented in modern times and not going away anytime soon.

I think you could infect all 37M Canadians, and the death toll would be in the hundreds to thousands, not hundreds of thousands. We know the numerator, but not the denominator. The official figures for hospitalizations and death tolls are easy to count. It's not so easy to count all of the asymptomatic people that never knew they had it, or those that had mild symptoms like a mild cough that went away in a couple days. Therefore, the percentage of serious cases is most certainly being over-represented. Of course, if everyone in Canada was infected on the same day, the death toll would rise because of lack of ventilators and other equipment, not because it's particularly deadly in of itself.

Reactions: dps

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It's a virus that can spread easily in large gatherings and people can be asymptomatic for up to two weeks or just asymptomatic outright. I don't know the details of the science & math of the numbers but I can't see how it's not just a matter of wrangling it under control quickly enough but rather smothering it for long enough until you can get some sort of vaccine or treatment out for it. Otherwise say things seem good in a few months so we ease up and all go back to normal, there's still likely going to be a few asymptomatic cases out there and you're just going to be a few months away to being right back to where we are now.

Covid-19 isn't airborne. It 'lives' in droplets of water vapour which we exhale. Sometimes this exhaled vapour can fall onto surfaces which we touch. But in order to get infected, it still needs a path into your body. An open cut or rubbing your face with the vapour would do it. Also, this water droplets fall to the ground. This 2 meter thing is just an abundance of caution. With 60% of Canadians treating other people like they have the Bubonic plague, and the other 40% who don't care have nowhere to go out anyway to get exposed. With the border closed and these measures in place, this virus will fade quickly. It's just that the US and Europe aren't going to have their houses in order for next fall.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think you could infect all 37M Canadians, and the death toll would be in the hundreds to thousands, not hundreds of thousands. We know the numerator, but not the denominator. The official figures for hospitalizations and death tolls are easy to count. It's not so easy to count all of the asymptomatic people that never knew they had it, or those that had mild symptoms like a mild cough that went away in a couple days. Therefore, the percentage of serious cases is most certainly being over-represented. Of course, if everyone in Canada was infected on the same day, the death toll would rise because of lack of ventilators and other equipment, not because it's particularly deadly in of itself.

no if you go that way many more people die. Right now we see a 1% mortality rate. If too many people get it a 1 time that mortality rate jumps like it is in Italy, and the healthcare system is overwhelmed. Your mortality rate spikes.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
You know, I don't think this team was going to do anything special if they did make the playoffs... however we could have used that experience 100%. Now our push to the cup is delayed by at least another year.

The kids will be more mature, and hopefully stronger/quicker next season. We should be excited if you're asking me. The only real question mark is what that defense is going to look like.

Petey-Miller-Toffoli
Pearson-Bo-Boeser
MacEwen-Gauds-Virt
Rous-Beagle-Motte

Hughes-UFA?
Edler-Rafferty
Myers-Juolevi?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think based on the latest stretch of games played, we can have a pretty good idea of how things would've turned out.

Reactions: mathonwy

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think based on the latest stretch of games played, we can have a pretty good idea of how things would've turned out.

"Dying seconds in the elimination game. Canucks down 2-3. They desperately need a goal here. Hughes passes to Boeser. Boeser passes to EP. EP passes back to Hughes. Hughes......SHOOTS...REBOUND...ERIKSSON FANS ON THE SHOT!!!! *buzzer sounds*. Canucks have been eliminated from playoff contention with 6 games to go."

Reporter: "What happened in the final 4 minutes? Your team surrendered 3 goals in a span of 1min and 30 seconds. The 4th line was a collective -7"
Green: "Guys played good. Deserved a better fate"

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Not sure if anyone has expressed this but I find the Canucks 50th anniversary pretty ironic.

The Canucks and several other teams decided to hold their anniversary seasons a year early to avoid a possible lockout due to a lockout or strike. Ironically the 50th season has now been written off due to a global pandemic. These outcomes seem so Canuck.

Reactions: racerjoe

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
"Dying seconds in the elimination game. Canucks down 2-3. They desperately need a goal here. Hughes passes to Boeser. Boeser passes to EP. EP passes back to Hughes. Hughes......SHOOTS...REBOUND...ERIKSSON FANS ON THE SHOT!!!! *buzzer sounds*. Canucks have been eliminated from playoff contention with 6 games to go."

Reporter: "What happened in the final 4 minutes? Your team surrendered 3 goals in a span of 1min and 30 seconds. The 4th line was a collective -7"

giphy.gif

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Covid-19 isn't airborne. It 'lives' in droplets of water vapour which we exhale. Sometimes this exhaled vapour can fall onto surfaces which we touch. But in order to get infected, it still needs a path into your body. An open cut or rubbing your face with the vapour would do it. Also, this water droplets fall to the ground. This 2 meter thing is just an abundance of caution. With 60% of Canadians treating other people like they have the Bubonic plague, and the other 40% who don't care have nowhere to go out anyway to get exposed. With the border closed and these measures in place, this virus will fade quickly. It's just that the US and Europe aren't going to have their houses in order for next fall.

Really. The number of cases is continuing to skyrocket in the US. My guess is 1 M dead in the US, and 20 M world wide. India is going to be destroyed. Canada is handling tolerably well, but we are running at about 8% new deaths a day right now, where as the US is at 15%.

go to

Coronavirus Update (Live): 928,566 Cases and 46,517 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

if you really want the math involved.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Really. The number of cases is continuing to skyrocket in the US. My guess is 1 M dead in the US, and 20 M world wide. India is going to be destroyed. Canada is handling tolerably well, but we are running at about 8% new deaths a day right now, where as the US is at 15%.

go to

Coronavirus Update (Live): 928,566 Cases and 46,517 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

There are a couple of issues with the statistics in the link you provided, though.

1. It likely doesn't factor in people who experienced COVID-19 but did not get tested and/or just assumed it was the flu, but still recovered. As a result, both the total number of cases and the total number of recovered cases would be higher. Who really knows how much this would change things? You'd think quite a few younger people would have just shaken it off.

2. The total number of cases includes people who are currently sick and have not recovered or died. So if you were to try to extrapolate from that data - for example, determining the % of people who die - this wouldn't be accurate as the total cases involve people who do not fall under either category for deaths/recovered cases.

Just some food for thought.

Reactions: dps and Canucks5551

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Meanwhile over in the Athletic's simulated reality, the Canucks are pretty much a lock to finish first in the Pacific.

AthleticSim.png

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Points percentage wise, the Canucks qualified for the playoffs. If the season were to be restarted (it won’t by the way, nor should it), and an abbreviated playoffs were to take place between 16 teams, the Canucks would be in. Period. Simply put, the “tank” crowd on here were wrong while the guys that supported this management’s vision had their faiths rewarded. Now having said all that, the Canucks do need some significant work. They’ve made great progress, but more progress and improvements need to be made. All in all though, this was a successful season! We were on pace for 93 points and would have had the last wildcard spot.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
There are a couple of issues with the statistics in the link you provided, though.

1. It likely doesn't factor in people who experienced COVID-19 but did not get tested and/or just assumed it was the flu, but still recovered. As a result, both the total number of cases and the total number of recovered cases would be higher. Who really knows how much this would change things? You'd think quite a few younger people would have just shaken it off.

2. The total number of cases includes people who are currently sick and have not recovered or died. So if you were to try to extrapolate from that data - for example, determining the % of people who die - this wouldn't be accurate as the total cases involve people who do not fall under either category for deaths/recovered cases.

Just some food for thought.

I could go into my reasoning for an hour. In fact I did in my conversations with my brother. All of those things were discussed and a lot more. Just look at the India deaths per M. Clearly its a lack of testing, and that is true in many countries. The scary number is that the US has 5 times per capita death rate that Canada does ...

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Points percentage wise, the Canucks qualified for the playoffs. If the season were to be restarted (it won’t by the way, nor should it), and an abbreviated playoffs were to take place between 16 teams, the Canucks would be in. Period. Simply put, the “tank” crowd on here were wrong while the guys that supported this management’s vision had their faiths rewarded. Now having said all that, the Canucks do need some significant work. They’ve made great progress, but more progress and improvements need to be made. All in all though, this was a successful season! We were on pace for 93 points and would have had the last wildcard spot.

How can they be wrong if their prediction was interrupted by a global pandemic? What an idiotic, hindsight argument that lacks any appreciation for context and nuance. You realize a global pandemic can constitute as an act of God, which has the ability of legally rendering some contracts as void, right? This point is just to demonstrate that even the courts can rule that a pandemic changes circumstances so drastically that agreements are no longer enforceable.

The playoffs are starting to look like they might not even happen, anyways. So no playoffs for this franchise since 2015. Yep, tank crowd looking so dumb these days.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

go to

We can't really project a death toll because we don't know how many Covid-19 cases are minor or asymptomatic. We only have the numbers for the bad consequences, while underestimating the gross infection rate. We know that no country has the capacity to test everyone, so we really don't know how widespread it is, or specifically why some people react badly to it while others shrug it off.

Reactions: dps and Canucks5551

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I could go into my reasoning for an hour. In fact I did in my conversations with my brother. All of those things were discussed and a lot more. Just look at the India deaths per M. Clearly its a lack of testing, and that is true in many countries. The scary number is that the US has 5 times per capita death rate that Canada does ...

I'm not trying to challenge any of your views. I actually somewhat agree with your assessment.
I'm just saying that the data is incomplete and has flaws based on the reality of the situation, so any extrapolation of said data will not paint the whole picture either.

Reactions: dps

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
How can they be wrong if their prediction was interrupted by a global pandemic? What an idiotic, hindsight argument that lacks any appreciation for context and nuance. You realize a global pandemic can constitute as an act of God, which has the ability of legally rendering some contracts as void, right? This point is just to demonstrate that even the courts can rule that a pandemic changes circumstances so drastically that agreements are no longer enforceable.

The playoffs are starting to look like they might not even happen, anyways. So no playoffs for this franchise since 2015. Yep, tank crowd looking so dumb these days.
Yeah but they were at least trending up at the time, supporting his post. Oh wait.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Pretty sure it goes:

Go on a .725 roll down the stretch and rolling over the coyotes in round 1. Round 2 is a legendary 7 game series vs the Oilers and despite 17 points by McDavid the Nucks win game 7 double OT. Onto a hard fought 7 game series and heartbreaking OT loss in game 7 vs the eventual cup winning Blues. Not wanting to break up a certain cup favourite core for next year Marky, Tanev and Toffoli all sign good term/club friendly deals...made possible by voluntary retirements of Eriksson, Beagle, Baertchi and Ferland. Congrats on the Calder ,Hughes!

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

This is pure good right here lol

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

"Dying seconds in game 7 against the Bruins. The score is tied 3--3. Hughes passes to Boeser. Boeser passes to EP. EP passes back to Hughes. Hughes......SHOOTS...REBOUND...ERIKSSON SCORED!!!! *BUZZER SOUND*. The Canucks have won their first Stanley Cup.

Reporter: "What happened in the final 4 minutes? The Bruins have once again surrendered 3 goals in a span of 1min and 30 seconds. The 4th line was a collective -7"
Green: "Guys played good. This is what we deserved."
Benning extended for life.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
From Jim Bennings perspective I’d change the title of this thread to “Fortunate we will never know the outcome of the 2020 Canucks.”

Wishful thinking on your part.

The Canucks had won 2 of their last 3 games, and the points percentage suggested that we were headed for the playoffs as the 2nd Wildcard team (finishing with 93 points). I’m sorry to be the o e to tell you this, but this Canucks team was playoff bound. The Tank crowd, to put it nicely, were incorrect.

member 290103

Wishful thinking on your part.

The Canucks had won 2 of their last 3 games, and the points percentage suggested that we were headed for the playoffs as the 2nd Wildcard team (finishing with 93 points). I’m sorry to be the o e to tell you this, but this Canucks team was playoff bound. The Tank crowd, to put it nicely, were incorrect.

you must not have been watching the games. As soon as Markstrom went down they imploded. What was their record since he went out? 2 of the last 3 is your measuring stick? Cmon...you can spin better than that.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
you must not have been watching the games. As soon as Markstrom went down they imploded. What was their record since he went out? 2 of the last 3 is your measuring stick? Cmon...you can spin better than that.
Markstrom would have been back last week. Yeah, Vegas and Edmonton went on hot streaks before the 'pause', but both teams looked like garbage at various points of the year. Vegas got a servicable backup goalie but still hadn't fixed their D while Edmonton leans on 2 franchise forwards and their goalie with no supporting cast. Let's not pretend that the teams we were chasing were world-beaters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad