Unfortunate we will never know the outcome of the 2020 Canucks

Nov 1, 2011
TSN just did a segment about a 68 game roll-back, since every team has played 68 games.

Canucks would be in.

Now they just need to rent a private island like the UFC.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
TSN just did a segment about a 68 game roll-back, since every team has played 68 games.

Canucks would be in.

Now they just need to rent a private island like the UFC.
If the reports on Sportsnet or TSN have any credibility, this scenario is shaping up as the most 'likely'. So that means the story of the Canucks 2019-20 season is still to be written.

But even if the season is totally abandoned, you'd have to say that overall, the season has been a qualified success. Young players took major steps; Markstrom proved he's one of the top goalies in the NHL; and J.T. Miller surpassed all expectations and proved that sometimes you can trade a first rounder, and have it work out. Other players had career years.

Still lots more work to be done with team-building and shedding some awful contracts. But overall the Canucks were 'playing meaningful games in March' and probably ticked off most of their boxes they had at the start of the season.

The teams I feel for, are some of the veteran teams who might have had only one more shot at the Cup before their rosters aged out.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Sorry if this questions been asked/answered lately but can please advise as to what is going to happen with our conditional pick that we let go of in the Miller trade if the season is done for? (which it most likely looks like it is). How are they going to determine that?

Personally I would rather pick this year and give up our pick next year as this draft seems deeper and it would be one year closer to us getting a player. If anyone can advise on this would appreciate it. Thanks!

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Sorry if this questions been asked/answered lately but can please advise as to what is going to happen with our conditional pick that we let go of in the Miller trade if the season is done for? (which it most likely looks like it is). How are they going to determine that?

Personally I would rather pick this year and give up our pick next year as this draft seems deeper and it would be one year closer to us getting a player. If anyone can advise on this would appreciate it. Thanks!

The tl;dr answer is no one knows, not even the NHL. All we can do is speculate, but at least it makes for interesting thought experiments.

I'm going to assume the regular season is cancelled (which looks more and more likely each passing day). I think the obvious main kicker is whether there will still be playoffs this season or not. If the playoffs happen, the Canucks likely make the playoffs due to point percentage, so we'd forfeit our 1st this year to New Jersey.

If the playoffs are cancelled as well, then this gets a bit messy. I think pushing the terms of the trade back 1 year makes the most sense, since the terms of the trade are contingent on a playoff berth. So basically the trade resets beginning next season and we forfeit either the 2021 or 2022 pick. I can't imagine New Jersey liking that as our team will have hopefully improved with our core having an additional year of development, but it beats out the alternatives IMO.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
The tl;dr answer is no one knows, not even the NHL. All we can do is speculate, but at least it makes for interesting thought experiments.

I'm going to assume the regular season is cancelled (which looks more and more likely each passing day). I think the obvious main kicker is whether there will still be playoffs this season or not. If the playoffs happen, the Canucks likely make the playoffs due to point percentage, so we'd forfeit our 1st this year to New Jersey.

If the playoffs are cancelled as well, then this gets a bit messy. I think pushing the terms of the trade back 1 year makes the most sense, since the terms of the trade are contingent on a playoff berth. So basically the trade resets beginning next season and we forfeit either the 2021 or 2022 pick. I can't imagine New Jersey liking that as our team will have hopefully improved with our core having an additional year of development, but it beats out the alternatives IMO.

Ok thanks for the answer...........At this point i'm extremely dubious as to whether or not there will be any playoffs.........that just doesn't seem at all probable.

Assuming that's the case I like your thoughts however I doubt that they would do that. (push the terms back a year). I could see this being messy - I mean how are they going to determine draft seeding? By points % is the only fair way that I could see. Going to be very interesting to find out.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Ok thanks for the answer...........At this point i'm extremely dubious as to whether or not there will be any playoffs.........that just doesn't seem at all probable.

Assuming that's the case I like your thoughts however I doubt that they would do that. (push the terms back a year). I could see this being messy - I mean how are they going to determine draft seeding? By points % is the only fair way that I could see. Going to be very interesting to find out.

Yeah same here - or the 68 games played rollback (which I think is less fair, but still an option). I've seen some ideas thrown around on the main boards about having different lotteries for different team placements (i.e. a lottery for 24 -30th teams, a lottery for 18-24th teams, etc.).

The other option for the Miller trade that would make sense is that the Canucks just get to choose between giving up the 2020 or 2021 1st without any playoff stipulations, that might be more fair. Kind of like the Ballard trade where we elected to give up the 2010 1st round pick (Howden) instead of the 2011 1st round pick which we retained.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
What conditions are necessary for the playoffs to take place? Large public gatherings may be forbidden until we have a vaccine or at least mass testing to see if people have the virus or had the virus and have recovered. A vaccine might not be available until next year. I think the tests for antibodies are coming along but we have a long way to go before we get to the level of testing we need.

Maybe the NHL is considering setting up a "quarantine area" where games can be played, possibly without spectators. What's the minimum number of people you need to have a televised game? They'd all need to be tested, retested at some interval, and kept away from untested people for the duration. That seems improbable to me but desperate times and all that.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Maybe the NHL is considering setting up a "quarantine area" where games can be played, possibly without spectators. What's the minimum number of people you need to have a televised game? They'd all need to be tested, retested at some interval, and kept away from untested people for the duration. That seems improbable to me but desperate times and all that.

This would be kind of hilarious based on the impact it has on Aquilini. He's been pushing for the playoffs every season, at the expense of mortgaging the future of this team, because he wants the additional playoff revenue. Then the team finally makes the playoffs....but no playoff revenue is made based on the empty arenas :laugh:. It's actually a very poetic ending for the Canucks' chase to make the playoffs.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You've got 5 teams in the NY, NJ, Mass area. Those cities are not going to be allowed to hold large gatherings until testing has been enhanced to a level that all those who had the disease can been tested to prove they have the antibody. Those states are not even going to end the lockdown rules until that can happen. Those people will then be allowed to go back to work to get some of the local economies going. The actual sound medical practice would be to have a test available for all members of the population and I doubt we see that. Therefore, if you allow people to all of a sudden come out of their shelters and mix with one another once again, you can pretty much assure the return of the problem.

Detroit and Chicagoare also in bad shape. Florida's governor led them into the mess with his idiotic behavior. Every NHL city in the US is having serious problems, but some are better off than others, but the coronavirus guidelines are being followed in all of those states and are responsible for where most of them are standing right now. Ontario and Quebec are not in good shape. California, who believes they are on the lower end of the spectrum due to their quick decision to lockdown are not going to throw that success away in order to hold NBA, NHL, and MLB contests in huge venues with 10's of thousands of fans sitting on top of each other being doted upon by parking attendants, ushers, cheerleaders, concession workers, janitorial staff, etc. These venues are petri dishes for this virus to just sprout wings.

You can bet that the governors of most of the hard hit US locales are not going to prematurely lift their restrictions, particularly on large gatherings, just so they can watch it all happen all over again. Trump has no power to tell them to do anything different. He can say, "Open up!" and they can say, "Pound salt."

A cure or vaccine will have to be found before the general population can SAFELY return to "normal" activity. The vaccine is at least a year away. Who knows about a cure. The real question mark for both of these possibilities is whether or not this virus mutates enough to make the cure/vaccine worthless.

If any of these leagues decide to play, it will be without fans. Even then you will have a mess of people required to make that happen besides the players, coaches, and officials. Do they travel all over the continent. How do you keep the players isolated from the world. How do they eat and where are they quartered? This is a logistical and minute by minute scheduling nightmare. They need to just suck it up, listen to the medical and national health experts, and wait until it's actually proven safe to do this. Listening to wealthy owners and political hacks who want to use the American and Canadian populations for personal and political fodder is ludicrous. This would only be about money and the common people and their lives be damned.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think you have to toll playoff stipulations if there is no playoffs, which seems the most likely scenario at this point.

There is certainly going to be some push from political powers to get pro sports leagues running again to distract the population. Hockey seriously lags on TV revenue and is locked into contracts, so they can't just switch to PPV or something to replace gate revenue. The NFL I could see playing without fans just because of how big it is on TV. Possibly MLB as well, although you have to think that the luxury teams are going to take a massive hit. The rush will be on to provide some kind of entertainment to a demanding audience and to be the first league to do it to get undivided attention. The temptation is too big...

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Yeah same here - or the 68 games played rollback (which I think is less fair, but still an option). I've seen some ideas thrown around on the main boards about having different lotteries for different team placements (i.e. a lottery for 24 -30th teams, a lottery for 18-24th teams, etc.).

The other option for the Miller trade that would make sense is that the Canucks just get to choose between giving up the 2020 or 2021 1st without any playoff stipulations, that might be more fair. Kind of like the Ballard trade where we elected to give up the 2010 1st round pick (Howden) instead of the 2011 1st round pick which we retained.

Ohhhh that sounds like a good idea - probably more fair. I think your last proposal for the Canucks re Miller is best. If that's the case I would assume they take the pick this year.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

Ohhhh that sounds like a good idea - probably more fair. I think your last proposal for the Canucks re Miller is best. If that's the case I would assume they take the pick this year.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Dom "Not enough vowels" Luszczyszyn's playoff simulation (paywall) has the Canucks sweeping the Wild to advance to the 2nd round where they will play Vegas who defeated Calgary in 7.

Quarter final matchups:

Boston - Tampa
Washington - Pittsburgh

Canucks - Las Vegas
Nashville - Colorado

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad