Unfortunate we will never know the outcome of the 2020 Canucks

member 290103

Markstrom would have been back last week. Yeah, Vegas and Edmonton went on hot streaks before the 'pause', but both teams looked like garbage at various points of the year. Vegas got a servicable backup goalie but still hadn't fixed their D while Edmonton leans on 2 franchise forwards and their goalie with no supporting cast. Let's not pretend that the teams we were chasing were world-beaters.

Let’s also not pretend that the Canucks were looking like a strong playoff bound team either. When Markstrom went down, the curtains got pulled back on the group Benning had assembled...a conglomerate of overpriced underperforming vets, sprinkled with some solid young players that resulted from his five previous seasons of failing to attain his goals...and a group wholly dependent on Vezina caliber goaltending to compete.

That doesn’t sound like the “lock” they are being made out to be here.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Wishful thinking on your part.

The Canucks had won 2 of their last 3 games, and the points percentage suggested that we were headed for the playoffs as the 2nd Wildcard team (finishing with 93 points). I’m sorry to be the o e to tell you this, but this Canucks team was playoff bound. The Tank crowd, to put it nicely, were incorrect.

How do the Canucks fare with no Tanev or Markstrom?

I strongly suspect the Tank crowd is closer to correct on this one.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
How do the Canucks fare with no Tanev or Markstrom?

I strongly suspect the Tank crowd is closer to correct on this one.

the stats speak for themselves.

point percentage wise, we had ownership of the 2nd wildcard spot.

We had won the last 2 of 3 against good playoff caliber opponents (although I might be wrong about the Islanders, I haven’t checked).

Tanev got injured, but we got Boeser back.

Demko started off shaky when Markstrom went down, but was starting to find his confidence as a #1 and his play was starting to reflect that.

This season was a win, and the Canucks would be in the playoffs if the NHL decided to have an abbreviated tournament (they won’t by the way, nor should they).

End result? The Benning Bro’s won this season and the Tankers were wrong. Period. Look at the points prediction thread. Most tankers had us pegged with finishing with mid 80’s point totals. @y2kcanuck predicted 83. I predicted 91. We were on pace for 93.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
How severe was Tanevs injury? Because as of today ferland is totally healthy and no reports of tanev ever being injured.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Wishful thinking on your part.

The Canucks had won 2 of their last 3 games, and the points percentage suggested that we were headed for the playoffs as the 2nd Wildcard team (finishing with 93 points). I’m sorry to be the o e to tell you this, but this Canucks team was playoff bound. The Tank crowd, to put it nicely, were incorrect.

You can't say this team was playoff bound. They were out of a playoff spot and had the worst 10 game stretch of the teams fighting for a playoff spot( Nashville, Winnipeg, Minnesota, and Calgary). Realistically, Nashville and Minnesota win the wild card spots and we are fighting for last place in the Pacific with Calgary.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
You can't say this team was playoff bound. They were out of a playoff spot and had the worst 10 game stretch of the teams fighting for a playoff spot( Nashville, Winnipeg, Minnesota, and Calgary). Realistically, Nashville and Minnesota win the wild card spots and we are fighting for last place in the Pacific with Calgary.

all teams go through slumps and streaks. To assume that we would have kept slumping for the rest of the year is just wishful thinking on your part. The Canucks winning two of their last three also serves as evidence that the slump may have been ending.

At the end of the day, we can speculate all we want in order to argue our points (for or against the Canucks), but the only relevant fact to take into consideration is that based on points percentage, we were headed to the playoffs. In a completely hypothetical situation, we would be playing the St.Louis Blues if the playoffs were to start tomorrow. Due to that, the Tank Crowd on here were defeated for this season.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Not to mention we lost Tanev to injury. If the season continues, we would have been playing without Tanev and Markstrom, that is a big blow to our defense. We will not able to win much with this lineup.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If the playoffs happened today we would miss regardless of points percentage. We're tied with Nashville in points percentage and they have the tie breaker in regulation wins.

So before you go taking your victory lap, that you're basing on a complete unknown, recognize it's an incomplete outcome.

The pro Benning people didn't "win" nor did the anti Benning or whatever you want to call them. And to parade around either way makes you look ridiculous.

Reactions: PM and racerjoe

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If the playoffs happened today we would miss regardless of points percentage. We're tied with Nashville in points percentage and they have the tie breaker in regulation wins.

So before you go taking your victory lap, that you're basing on a complete unknown, recognize it's an incomplete outcome.

The pro Benning people didn't "win" nor did the anti Benning or whatever you want to call them. And to parade around either way makes you look ridiculous.

How the NHL standings would look based on points percentage | Offside

In the event of any tie breaker, points percentage is the first criterion used.

So yes, In this instance, the “Benning bro’s” were the winners because we had predicted that the Canucks would make the playoffs.

member 290103

all teams go through slumps and streaks. To assume that we would have kept slumping for the rest of the year is just wishful thinking on your part. The Canucks winning two of their last three also serves as evidence that the slump may have been ending.

At the end of the day, we can speculate all we want in order to argue our points (for or against the Canucks), but the only relevant fact to take into consideration is that based on points percentage, we were headed to the playoffs. In a completely hypothetical situation, we would be playing the St.Louis Blues if the playoffs were to start tomorrow. Due to that, the Tank Crowd on here were defeated for this season.

no matter how many times you proclaim victory, it doesn’t change the fact that there was no winner...and that the the was trending downward in disturbing fashion when the season ended.

Reactions: racerjoe

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
no matter how many times you proclaim victory, it doesn’t change the fact that there was no winner...and that the the was trending downward in disturbing fashion when the season ended.

we had won 2 of the last 3 games and likely would have won 66.6% of our games from there on out. If you think that’s a ridiculous argument, then I would hope that you realize that it’s no more ridiculous than yours. Why? Because streaks are irrelevant. All teams have peaks and valleys. To assume that the Canucks would have slumped the rest of the year is absurd....especially in light of the fact that Boeser had just returned to the line-up.

Canucks vs. Oilers = 1st round!

member 290103

we had won 2 of the last 3 games and likely would have won 66.6% of our games from there on out. If you think that’s a ridiculous argument, then I would hope that you realize that it’s no more ridiculous than yours. Why? Because streaks are irrelevant. All teams have peaks and valleys. To assume that the Canucks would have slumped the rest of the year is absurd....especially in light of the fact that Boeser had just returned to the line-up.

The trend of the team at the time the season stopped is highly relevant. It fits your narrative to ignore it and hang you hat on two wins in three games, but it doesn’t change the fact that the team was imploding, and that their success was clearly reliant on Markstrom and super human goaltending.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

nope, I am correct. Points percentage supersedes everything in this instance since teams wouldn’t have the opportunity to play the same number of games (if the NHL decided that the playoffs should start immediately). Sorry Buck Dancer. Advanced Analytics and JD Burke aren’t going to save you on this one.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The trend of the team at the time the season stopped is highly relevant. It fits your narrative to ignore it and hang you hat on two wins in three games, but it doesn’t change the fact that the team was imploding, and that their success was clearly reliant on Markstrom and super human goaltending.
Wrong!

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I didn't say they would slump the rest of the year. My guess is that they would play at around .500. 5-8 win's with a loser point or two.

This team would of been a few point above or below the playoff bar, unless it won 9+ games or lost 9+ games.

They very well could of made the playoff's but they weren't "playoff bound".

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I mean, we were playing at a 92 point pace. This board had the team pegged as a 90 point fringe team under the assumption that Hughes or Miller weren't going to be top line players. Without Markstrom for a few more weeks prior to league closure, who knows whether they hit 90.

Nothing really surprising to see here as the board was right on the team projection and that Benning would make moves to save his job. We were also right that these shit contracts doled out to average or fringe players were going to be a mistake and they were.

Reactions: Jyrki21

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
How the NHL standings would look based on points percentage | Offside

In the event of any tie breaker, points percentage is the first criterion used.

So yes, In this instance, the “Benning bro’s” were the winners because we had predicted that the Canucks would make the playoffs.

That article is based on a hypothetical "fun" scenario where the playoffs will be made by points percentage. That hasn't been decided yet, so pump the brakes on the victory lap.

just for fun (we need a little bit of fun right now, don’t we?) let’s take a look at which teams would make the playoffs based on points percentage (to level the playing field), seeing that some teams have played more games than others.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
That article is based on a hypothetical "fun" scenario where the playoffs will be made by points percentage. That hasn't been decided yet, so pump the brakes on the victory lap.

His hypothetical fun scenario was based on the rules that explicitly state that percentage points supersedes everything. The Benning bro’s victory lap is completely and utterly justified. :)

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
His hypothetical fun scenario was based on the rules that explicitly state that percentage points supersedes everything. The Benning bro’s victory lap is completely and utterly justified. :)

That's only if teams are tied.

Winnipeg has more wins and points so they take one wildcard.

Nashville is tied with Vancouver in points and points percentage, so it goes to the next tie breaker, regulation wins, which Nashville has one more.

Back to the main point, nobody knows how the playoffs will work yet, so pump the brakes.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
That's only if teams are tied.

Winnipeg has more wins and points so they take one wildcard.

Nashville is tied with Vancouver in points and points percentage, so it goes to the next tie breaker, regulation wins, which Nashville has one more.

Back to the main point, nobody knows how the playoffs will work yet, so pump the brakes.

nope.

Vancouver has a higher points percentage than Calgary. Nashville and Winnipeg are irrelevant to the conversation. Canucks play Oilers in the first round and the Benning Bro’s win. Team Tank goes back to the drawing board in this instance.

the “that’s only if teams are tied” argument is nullified in this instance because this would be a unique situation where the playoffs would begin without teams having played the same number of games to end the regular season.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
because this would be a unique situation where the playoffs would begin without teams having played the same number of games to end the regular season

And this hasn't been decided yet. As it stands with the current rules, the Canucks are out. Maybe the league goes with points percentage and they find themselves in, but the point is that hasn't been decided yet and you're acting like it has.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
And this hasn't been decided yet. As it stands with the current rules, the Canucks are out. Maybe the league goes with points percentage and they find themselves in, but the point is that hasn't been decided yet and you're acting like it has.

If the playoffs were to start immediately without any more regular season games to be played, then points percentage would be the only logical decision to make since the teams with lower point totals (due to a lower number of games played) would be *severely* screwed in this hypothetical.

Canucks/Oilers = 1st round. Benning bro’s = win. Team Tank = back to the drawing board. It’s that simple.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
If the playoffs were to start immediately without any more regular season games to be played, then points percentage would be the only logical decision to make since the teams with lower point totals (due to a lower number of games played) would be *severely* screwed in this hypothetical.

Canucks/Oilers = 1st round. Benning bro’s = win. Team Tank = back to the drawing board. It’s that simple.

You don't know they aren't going to try to play more regular season games. You don't know they are going to go with points percentage if they don't play anymore. Nobody knows what the plan is, not even Gary Bettman. It's a fluid situation.

You're claiming a victory when the situation is still unknown. But you do you, I'm done with this stupidity.

Reactions: PM and racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad