F Ilya Pautov - Krasnaya Armiya, MHL (2024 Draft)

Kase

May 1, 2016
Ilya Pautov is a very talented small offensive winger who is playing for Krasnaya Armiya in MHL. After scoring a hat trick today, his stat line so far this season is 21 gp - 7 g - 15 a - 22 pts.

NHL Central Scouting listed Pautov as 5'11" 167 lbs while MHL and EP lists him as 5'10" 165 lbs so he is definitely on the smaller side. To my eye he looks maybe even smaller than that as he looks noticeably tiny even in MHL.

What stands out in Pautov's game is his puck handling, playmaking and skating. I think he is one of the better puck handlers in this year's draft, at least from what I've seen so far. Speed wise his skating might be only good, but he is extremely elusive and when you couple that with his puck skills, it makes him a very dangerous puck carrier. Pautov is also an impressive playmaker, as he constantly and effortlessly makes play opening one touch passes and sets ups his teammates for scoring chances. He seems to have a quick mind which bodes really well for his future.

Downsides with Pautov are his size, strength and not necessarily having truly stand out speed. Also, while I think he is smart player without the puck too and plays with solid effort, I think his NHL future depends on whether he can be a difference maker offensively. If we compare him to Kovalenko for example, I think Kovalenko is the type of player who could potentially play anywhere in the lineup and have a positive impact even when he isn't producing. I don't see that in Pautov's game; his skill and production will make or break his NHL career.

If Pautov is actually as big as listed, I think he could probably go in the first three rounds, he has potential that justifies to be picked pretty high in the draft. If his measurements are exaggerated, the risks increase remarkably and that should impact his draft rankings. I think Pautov has Maccelli type upside or Garland type as a bit lower one. At the very least I'm expecting a good KHLer who is hopefully good enough to make a legit push for NHL roster spot.

Ilya Pautov at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: hockey maniac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad