Unfortunate we will never know the outcome of the 2020 Canucks

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's actually unfortunate. Benning hater, or not, team tank or team playoff, it's sad for the Canuck fan base to never know it's outcome of our 50th season. We were 1 spot out of the playoff spot when the season got suspended, We would have gotten Markstrom back last week. We missed the playoffs 4 years in a row, team was playing their asses off to try to secure a playoff spot, regardless of how bad they were actually playing down the stretch. Don't get me wrong. I love this team, they frustrate me, and I think it would have been better for them to have actually make the playoffs this season, Petey, Horvat, Hughes would have been given an eye opener and expierence to know what it it really has to take to win and it would have helped this team long term. Yes I will gladlyl admit, they've been playing like crap at least since the Chicago Sedin retirement number game, but I would have perferred them to be in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, we would have never know the outcome, this will be a record franchice record 5 straight seasons without a playoff. Next up is talking prospects the draft. We don't even know how this will be organized.

the NHL can go by the current standings of what it was when the season ended
or
they can go by how the 2005 draft was conducted which was determine by how many times a team missed or made the playoffs the last 4 seasons etc etc.

either way it's sad.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The NHL is quietly approaching hockey writers and reporters to see if they are available to work in July and August. I think we could still have a Stanley Cup tournament if contracts are extended past July 1st and free agency/draft happen Sept 1st.

That said, if there are no playoffs, I'm not sure we missed much. We might have already been out of a playoff spot before Markstrom came back this week. If not, we would have been playing St Louis, Colorado or Vegas in round 1, as we were trending towards the WC. Maybe Markstrom lights it up and we steal a round. I think it would have just been a learning experience and a quick first round, but it would have been a stepping stone to build on.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's actually unfortunate. Benning hater, or not, team tank or team playoff, it's sad for the Canuck fan base to never know it's outcome of our 50th season. We were 1 spot out of the playoff spot when the season got suspended, We would have gotten Markstrom back last week. We missed the playoffs 4 years in a row, team was playing their asses off to try to secure a playoff spot, regardless of how bad they were actually playing down the stretch. Don't get me wrong. I love this team, they frustrate me, and I think it would have been better for them to have actually make the playoffs this season, Petey, Horvat, Hughes would have been given an eye opener and expierence to know what it it really has to take to win and it would have helped this team long term. Yes I will gladlyl admit, they've been playing like crap at least since the Chicago Sedin retirement number game, but I would have perferred them to be in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, we would have never know the outcome, this will be a record franchice record 5 straight seasons without a playoff. Next up is talking prospects the draft. We don't even know how this will be organized.

the NHL can go by the current standings of what it was when the season ended
or
they can go by how the 2005 draft was conducted which was determine by how many times a team missed or made the playoffs the last 4 seasons etc etc.

either way it's sad.

On the contrary, I think after close to 70-games played we have a pretty good idea of how the Canucks 50th season would have played out. A herculean effort from Demko and Markstrom down the stretch might have allowed them to squeeze in.

But teams that bleed scoring chances and shots on goal don't tend to last very long in the post-season. And of course as one of the two wildcard teams, they'd have been forced to play one of the top two teams in the Western Conference.

Canucks have some great young pieces; an overpaid, underachieving bottom-six, and serious problems on the blueline despite the emergence of Hughes. And don't forget that Tanev was hurt before the virus hit and would have missed an undetermined amount of time. They'd have been forced to move Myers up in the rotation, which never worked whenever they tried it.

So the rebuild is a long way from finished.....that would likely have been the official take on the Canucks for their 2019-20 season.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Aquilini will no doubt take the same inane approach he has with "make it in and anything can happen!" and determine that we are none the wiser in mid-March despite having played out the majority of the season and having had several years of prior evidence to assess. We know exactly what this team is within a very small margin of error - a bubble team, as we've known all along.

Reactions: rypper

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
On the Athletic they are running a simulation to play out the rest of the regular season. It's a bit like running the draft lottery simulator exactly once, so you can get some strange results. In the case of the Athletic's simulation, they have the Canucks on something like a 9 game winning streak and in 1st place in the Pacific Division. So there you go, now you know how the season would be playing out!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
On the Athletic they are running a simulation to play out the rest of the regular season. It's a bit like running the draft lottery simulator exactly once, so you can get some strange results. In the case of the Athletic's simulation, they have the Canucks on something like a 9 game winning streak and in 1st place in the Pacific Division. So there you go, now you know how the season would be playing out!
And Gary Valk on TSN 1040 predicting that with their talent and power-play, Canucks would have won at least two rounds in this year's playoffs.

Things would have been rockin' at the Rog....but all a moot point now.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
And Gary Valk on TSN 1040 predicting that with their talent and power-play, Canucks would have won at least two rounds in this year's playoffs.

Valk is also a pretty bad analyst.
The Canucks might not have even made the playoffs ffs. No Markstrom, Hughes and Pettersson injured, lots of other teams surging in the West (Minnesota was on quite the roll). The most likely scenarios in order of likelihood, IMO, would have been 1st round exit > no playoffs at all > 2nd round exit.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015

When did gary valk come back?

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Funny but after being a fan of them since before they were in the NHL I really don’t care anymore. Weird.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Funny but after being a fan of them since before they were in the NHL I really don’t care anymore. Weird.

It's the stress doing that to you, way bigger things to stress about than Calgary, Edmonton and Vegas winning last night. The last hockey game we played feels like a year ago. I've already closed the book on the season. I think this July-August Stanley Cup is a pipe dream at this point.

Reactions: Tuck Frump

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My prediction is that the Canucks would have squeaked into the playoffs (last wildcard), and would have lost to St.Louis in 6.

Although the Canucks hadn’t been playing their best hockey, and had squandered their 9 point playoff cushion, they were slowly starting to come out of it. They had won 2 of their last 3 games.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
It's the stress doing that to you, way bigger things to stress about than Calgary, Edmonton and Vegas winning last night. The last hockey game we played feels like a year ago. I've already closed the book on the season. I think this July-August Stanley Cup is a pipe dream at this point.
At this point even the 20-21 season is in jeopardy.
Public health Canada just stated that we’re in for “months, many months”. The virus is exploding in the US, it will be be many times worse there.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If we are lucky, we *might* get half a season in for 2021 starting in January. This season is completely and utterly down however. The rest of 2020 should be focused on combating Covid19.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
At this point even the 20-21 season is in jeopardy.
Public health Canada just stated that we’re in for “months, many months”. The virus is exploding in the US, it will be be many times worse there.

I think Canada wrangles it under control quicker, since we closed our borders to the US, have less cases and live in cities less congested with foot traffic, our cities are more isolated from each other and we have a centralized health delivery system in each province with federal oversight.

The problem is that we are going to have to keep the US border closed until the Americans get a handle on it. Also, all of the NHL players returned home, many to Europe. The NHL can't start back up until international flights are allowed again, let alone Canada-USA routes.

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
I think Canada wrangles it under control quicker, since we closed our borders to the US, have less cases and live in cities less congested with foot traffic, our cities are more isolated from each other and we have a centralized health delivery system in each province with federal oversight.

The problem is that we are going to have to keep the US border closed until the Americans get a handle on it. Also, all of the NHL players returned home, many to Europe. The NHL can't start back up until international flights are allowed again, let alone Canada-USA routes.

Canada mismanaged this equally and is on the same trajectory. Just behind. There wont ve a difference between Canada and the US. At this point it's not about stopping the virus because it wont be stopped. It's about slowing it so health care systems are not overwhelmed. Vaccines are two years away at minimum if we can even develop any and herd immunity if it works is also far away unless you want to accept millions of extra deaths (hundreds of thousands in Canadas case). So restrictions are going to be arround for quite a while and frankly I am more inclined to think the 2020 - 2021 season doesnt happen at all as well. Atleast not with fans. This is unprecedented in modern times and not going away anytime soon.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Some Oilers fan on the main board was questioning why people think the Canucks have such a bright future.

Don’t worry, I set them straight. I got you.

upload_2020-3-28_17-41-58.gif

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Some Oilers fan on the main board was questioning why people think the Canucks have such a bright future.

Don’t worry, I set them straight. I got you.

View attachment 339568

They are questioning it likely due to jealousy. Outside of 2006, a playoff upset in (2017?), and 1-2 playoff upsets during the late 90’s, the Oilers have been irrelevant to the NHL since 1992. Most of the posters on the Oilers section of this site weren’t around during the glory days of the 80’s and so the fire burns deep. The Canucks on the other hand, have done everything under the kitchen sink since 1992 except for winning a cup. The Canucks have also had many respectable and notable players enter their organization since 1992. In my opinion, Edmonton’s jealousy of Vancouver extends even beyond hockey. Vancouver is a globally respected and relevant international city. We also hosted the 2010 Olympics where we got to see Canada win gold up and close. Edmonton on the other hand, has relatively little relevance outside of Western Canada. Even within the province of Alberta, they are clearly the Luigi to Calgary’s Mario. Most people that want to live in Edmonton and the Fort McMurray area are blue collar workers (nothing wrong with that mind you, but most white collar professionals opt for greener pastures).

Long story short - if you see Edmontonians chirping ya in here, just nod your head and smile. ;)

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'm mostly disappointed that Quinn Hughes didn't get a chance to finish up his excellent season and break some records. I also think that with the remaining games he would have locked up the Calder.

Reactions: dps and lawrence

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Canucks go on a losing streak and end up dropping to 11th in the West. You get the sense the team was seriously fading and Hughes and EP were looking fatigued. Also Green was getting seriously exposed.

Green would have been fired.

Unfortunately...the status quo likely delays the inevitable.

Meanwhile I think the Leafs would have gotten destroyed by the Bruins again.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I mean, if Benning is still somehow GM in the upcoming years, then they have a fair point. He's already mortgaging the future on moves like the Toffoli trade and most of his UFA signings.

You guys don’t have much faith in Benning?

The Hughes/Petterson picks were game changers. And the Miller trade looks great.

But, I’ll definitely defer to you guys on Benning. You would know the ins and outs of his moves better than I would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad