Management UNEDITED - Don Sweeney addresses the media on Mitchell Miller signing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
heres where something is very weird. Every contract must be certified by the league to be valid.
So did they announce before certification? Typically never done.
Did league certify and tell them sure but hes not playing in nhl?
Did league certify, say nothing, then back track when shit hit the fan?

Those are my questions.

But the process is league certified to be valid.
Yeah that’s where some of my confusion lies.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
at 14 people know that exactly that what he was doing.
not did…doing daily is wrong. Horribly, sadistically wrong.

and read the victims mother interview. There were other incidents into high school..
I was also talking about the alleged 1st grade stuff. If the kid is saying stuff like that in 1st grade, he is hearing it somewhere. You don't come up with that on your own at that age. The parents deserve blame here for either bringing him up in a bad environment or not teaching him how to respect people. I know about 99% of us would have been slapped into oblivion if we said something like that

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Sure, that makes sense. But does Sweeney need to ask the league for approval of the signing beforehand? Because that’s what the statement makes it sound like. We can rip Sweeney all over for this signing, but I’m just kinda curious about the procedure. He has obviously signed players before and knows the process.

Maybe it’s because of the circumstances of his being released by Arizona.
Pretty sure Bettman can’t just unilaterally decide someone is banned from the NHL. The NHLPA has to be part of the process.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I was also talking about the alleged 1st grade stuff. If the kid is saying stuff like that in 1st grade, he is hearing it somewhere. You don't come up with that on your own at that age. The parents deserve blame here for either bringing him up in a bad environment or not teaching him how to respect people. I know about 99% of us would have been slapped into oblivion if we said something like that

agreed.
but then again this sadist is not the victim.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Pretty sure Bettman can’t just unilaterally decide someone is banned from the NHL. The NHLPA has to be part of the process.
Actually in this case Bettman did have the right

Miller was never a member of the NHLPA prior to signing the contract and therefore not subject to their protection under the CBA.

And the PA doesn't get involved in discipline decisions. That falls under the league. The PA can appeal the league decision to an arbitrator

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Actually in this case Bettman did have the right

Miller was never a member of the NHLPA prior to signing the contract and therefore not subject to their protection under the CBA.

And the PA doesn't get involved in discipline decisions. That falls under the league. The PA can appeal the league decision to an arbitrator
Interesting. This whole thing is unnecessary

Reactions: UConn126

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I can think of 3. All currently wearing a B

Bergeron, Pasta and Krejci?

After throwing the team to the wolves like this, after their objections a week ago, I don't see how Bergy doesn't retire after this season. I also don't see Pasta taking a "hometown discount" anymore, if they can even sign him in the first place. Which then begets the question do you trade him and likely nuke your last best chance at a deep playoff run for awhile, or keep him as a "self rental" and likely lose him for nothing at the end of the season.

A lot can change between the end of the season and now, but right now there is a toxic environment between the players and upper management, as well as the fans and upper management

And it didn't have to happen.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bergeron, Pasta and Krejci?

After throwing the team to the wolves like this, after their objections a week ago, I don't see how Bergy doesn't retire after this season. I also don't see Pasta taking a "hometown discount" anymore, if they can even sign him in the first place. Which then begets the question do you trade him and likely nuke your last best chance at a deep playoff run for awhile, or keep him as a "self rental" and likely lose him for nothing at the end of the season.

A lot can change between the end of the season and now, but right now there is a toxic environment between the players and upper management, as well as the fans and upper management

And it didn't have to happen.

Bingo!

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I probably will get rip here.
Disgree and will fight against what the Michell kid did.
But reading all the anger and violent post on hfboards on the matter is not the solution imo. Hanging publicly Mitchell will not change anything. Boston will not be capable to come back on this decision no matter if the kid plays or not in pro league. If people really want to protest, kneel down, it cost Colin Kaepernick career imo. Stadium are still full.....so if you are really against the move, stop paying for the product. Vomiting your anger between 2 periods tells more on all of us and what price we really are willing to pay for our conviction. Media will surf on this for a while.... then what!

Hockey Canada is in the middle of sexual accusation.and from my understanding some players not named would be currently playing in the NHL!!! where is everyone! Canadian team arena are full!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
And the second intermission of HNIC leads off again with the Miller story. Pointing out that the diversity/inclusion report was just passed by the board of governors. Asking the obvious question about the signing --why?

The meeting with Miller later this week asking him questions needs to include showing him the long letter the bullied kid's mom wrote, then ask him to explain how this was only one incident when he was 14.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Reading this is heartbreaking and infuriating

“Every time this is brought up, it puts him right back to where he was,” said Meyer-Crothers of her adopted son. “To sit at the table with Mitchell in seventh grade, he had to say he was his N-word, or he had to sit by himself at the lunch room. It’s all this stuff that keeps replaying in his mind all the time. That he’s not of value. That his life doesn’t matter. He was told his Black mom and dad didn’t love him; that’s why he has White parents. Imagine the identity problems that Isaiah’s dealing with.

“He was already behind the eight-ball because he had fetal alcohol syndrome and drug exposure. So cognitively, he’s already behind. Then you’re adding this stuff on to a kid that just wants to have friends. Because he already knows he’s not functioning like the other kids. He was tormented. That’s where I’m struggling.”

After hearing Bergeron, Marchand and Foligno speak, Meyer-Crothers said she would welcome the players to their home. She would explain how Miller’s mistreatment affected Isaiah and her family. She would share the reports she has received on Isaiah’s mental health.

Meyer-Crothers said she is not interested in speaking with Sweeney because of how he explained the situation.

“No, I wouldn’t want to speak to him. No,” Meyer-Crothers said. “He made it known that it didn’t really matter what we had to say.”

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Will the AHL let him play, and if so why? Would look bad if the did. Why do the bruins even get involved in this?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Will the AHL let him play, and if so why? Would look bad if the did. Why do the bruins even get involved in this?
He won't play in the AHL b/c they recognize the NHL's discipline and since Bettman says he's ineligble for the NHL, the AHL has said the same thing

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Im ready to say it loud and say it proud:

This is unacceptable and I will gve this team zero dollars until they rectify this. That constitutes more than a firing, it requires real effort in the community. And F You for making me have to say this about the only god damn team I've ever loved. I hope Sweeney AND Neely are gone because of this.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Im ready to say it loud and say it proud:

This is unacceptable and I will gve this team zero dollars until they rectify this. That constitutes more than a firing, it requires real effort in the community. And F You for making me have to say this about the only god damn team I've ever loved. I hope Sweeney AND Neely are gone because of this.
I skipped tonight. But unfortunately it’s not enough. I am seriously considering NJD the Wild or the Celtics as alternative options for the near term. I am beyond sad about missing Bergy and Krejci final run. Honestly sad about this.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Makes me feel better that Bettman has said he is ineligible for the NHL. Hopefully, that means the AHL will follow suit. Plenty of talent untainted with this sort of history out there

Loved how HNIC invited Sweeney on and he 'declined'

Reactions: HustleB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad