OT: Under Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You know, as you get older, I think you start to realize that people as a whole are just significantly more disappointing than you could possibly imagine when you are young.
The older you get the more you realize just how stupid most of the ideals are that you think sound really good when you are younger too. When you start being the one to pay for things all that " free " stuff you thought sounded great now pisses you off :laugh:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Eh we've just reached a situation where one group has been unchecked for too long and they think they can do what they want. It's the same mentality that got the Democrats completely crushed following the whole income tax deal when they thought they could just sneak in one afternoon and do what they wanted.

People will get tired of it and flush the system eventually. They just haven't done anything to really grab the whole state's attention yet.

Having spent the better part of the last eight months doing extensive research into what exactly has been going on w/r/t the political culture in the United States specifically, I can honestly say that this isn't the same-ol-same-ol cyclical political culture we've seen in the past. It isn't just one side has had power for too long. It's a confluence of events of the past several decades that have led to...

...eh, you know what? I'll save it for the book. Let's just say it doesn't look good and it has been entirely avoidable.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The older you get the more you realize just how stupid most of the ideals are that you think sound really good when you are younger too. When you start being the one to pay for things all that " free " stuff you thought sounded great now pisses you off :laugh:

Oh no, it's more like: texting someone back you asked you a question isn't "that hard"

Or how being kind is now a rarity

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Having spent the better part of the last eight months doing extensive research into what exactly has been going on w/r/t the political culture in the United States specifically, I can honestly say that this isn't the same-ol-same-ol cyclical political culture we've seen in the past. It isn't just one side has had power for too long. It's a confluence of events of the past several decades that have led to...

...eh, you know what? I'll save it for the book. Let's just say it doesn't look good and it has been entirely avoidable.
Every generation thinks that, but something happens and they push through it. This isn't the first time politics in the US has been a mess and it won't be the last.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's because democracy is broken. Votes should count one for one. The three people from some city that doesn't have running water shouldn't have a say in what we do in a city that drives the state economy.
Yeah well the US was never set up on a true democracy. It was done that way for a reason, it was because they didn't want large cities basically being able to control the entire country because things that may be good for cities may not necessarily be good for small towns in the midwest. That more or less trickled down to the States so that once again you didn't have for instance Nashville strictly making policy for them that would leave towns like Shelbyville, Tullahoma, Manchester, and Spencer hung out to dry.

The system actually works how it's supposed to oddly enough. There is some odd things here and there that could be corrected ( most of it having to do with gerrymandering ), but overall most have a voice in whatever arena that is. The problem is that at some point we all decided if we didn't get exactly what we wanted, how we wanted, and when we wanted, that the system was broken. It's setup to force varying groups to reach a compromise that benefits everyone, not just one group of people. Because as bad as you think it is now, go to a strict majority rules and you will see just how ugly true democracy can be and just exactly why the founders of the nation avoided that very thing.

If you want to get a sense of just how ugly it can get, well you can pretty much look at the South post civil war, when the majority of voters were white males and they pretty much dictated everything for everyone else. It can get real ugly real fast.

Like I said earlier though it's been worse than this in the past, just go back and look at things from the 1840's to the 1880's and also the Jacksonian era. Poilitics and the country was real freaking ugly, and there are times before then it was pretty rough too.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
What's all that about?
Nutshell (but there may be another step or two): Naughty (lecherous, not photographically explicit) texts, got caught, said it didn't happen, evidence shows otherwise, "locker room talk, everyone does it."

And (most) everyone does. But these days you'd best say so from the beginning or stay away from public office.

Edited--I don't want to sound political in any way.

Last edited:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Every generation thinks that, but something happens and they push through it. This isn't the first time politics in the US has been a mess and it won't be the last.

Well, part of my research is comparing things today to other points in American history during which we saw crises, and I disagree with the optimistic outlook that we will be fine yet again. To pull out of the tailspin it takes a lot of behind-the-scenes willingness to abide by norms that are, quite simply, dead now, and that's just part of the problem. We're looking at a Pinochet-style slide into authoritarianism, and the scariest part is over 60% of the country is either OK with it or is too fatigued by all of this to even care (this is by design).

Reactions: NNCbama

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Well, part of my research is comparing things today to other points in American history during which we saw crises, and I disagree with the optimistic outlook that we will be fine yet again. To pull out of the tailspin it takes a lot of behind-the-scenes willingness to abide by norms that are, quite simply, dead now, and that's just part of the problem. We're looking at a Pinochet-style slide into authoritarianism, and the scariest part is over 60% of the country is either OK with it or is too fatigued by all of this to even care (this is by design).

Agreed. This nation has been in some awful political situations and always come out of it, the pendulum always swings back the other way. The difference today is the divisiveness, the pendulum swings further now, sides are further apart and more entrenched than ever before, there's not really any middle ground and there's on very big reason why but I don't want to get into it here as this is already probably too much politics for HF.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Agreed. This nation has been in some awful political situations and always come out of it, the pendulum always swings back the other way. The difference today is the divisiveness, the pendulum swings further now, sides are further apart and more entrenched than ever before, there's not really any middle ground and there's on very big reason why but I don't want to get into it here as this is already probably too much politics for HF.
This nation split and went through a civil war. That is literally as divisive and far apart as you can get.

Do things stink right now? Yeah, its tiring. Is it worse than it's ever been? When states start arming themselves for a fight come and talk to me.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Alllrighty then. Gonna have to stop the political talk before it gets hostile over here. Sorry boys and girls.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Did I miss something? Tbh less about politics and more about history but okeydoke.

No, no one's done anything too out of line, but politics aren't supposed to be talked about on the boards. I'd rather head it off at the pass before we dive too far in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad