UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I feel UNB is really missing Boudens. Seitz maybe can fill that role. Hall should be an asset on the PK back-end, if he can stay healthy. Btw, Seitz and Hall played together in Kitchener for one year.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Interesting that UNB remains number 1 in the calculated top 10 ranking. Under the historical system I would think they would have at least fell the third behind Alberta and Acadia..maybe even lower.

Reactions: Drummer

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Interesting that UNB remains number 1 in the calculated top 10 ranking. Under the historical system I would think they would have at least fell the third behind Alberta and Acadia..maybe even lower.

Agreed. It's also worth noting that two weeks ago, when Acadia was #1 in the AUS, they weren't even in the top 10. Human ranking wouldn't have let that happen.

The ELO obviously didn't punish UNB for losing on the road, but it also didn't reward Acadia for beating #1 and Alberta got nothing (at very much at least) for winning two over UBC.

Week 10
1. 1799 (--) UNB 13-4-0
2. 1787 (12) Alberta 14-2-0
3. 1712 (87) Carleton 15-2-1
4. 1709 (90) Toronto 14-2-0

Week 9
1. 1811 (--) UNB 12-3-0
2. 1773 (38) Alberta 12-2-0
3. 1733 (78) Carleton 14-2-0
4. 1665 (146) Toronto 12-2-0

Delta
1. 1811 to 1799 (-12) : UNB (1-1)
2. 1773 to 1787 (+15) : Alberta (2-0)
3. 1733 to 1722 (-11) : Carleton (1-1)
4. 1665 to 1709 (+44) : Toronto (2-0)

If the ELO is strength of schedule, it must also include playoffs and UCup. UNB shouldn't be 1st based on regular season alone.

The thing I hate more, is how 3-4 teams drop out of the top ten each week, like they're so bad and these other 3-4 teams come out of now where to replace them - then in-turn get replaced the following week. The rankings should be more stable than that.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Agreed. It's also worth noting that two weeks ago, when Acadia was #1 in the AUS, they weren't even in the top 10. Human ranking wouldn't have let that happen.

The ELO obviously didn't punish UNB for losing on the road, but it also didn't reward Acadia for beating #1 and Alberta got nothing (at very much at least) for winning two over UBC.

Week 10
1. 1799 (--) UNB 13-4-0
2. 1787 (12) Alberta 14-2-0
3. 1712 (87) Carleton 15-2-1
4. 1709 (90) Toronto 14-2-0

Week 9
1. 1811 (--) UNB 12-3-0
2. 1773 (38) Alberta 12-2-0
3. 1733 (78) Carleton 14-2-0
4. 1665 (146) Toronto 12-2-0

Delta
1. 1811 to 1799 (-12) : UNB (1-1)
2. 1773 to 1787 (+15) : Alberta (2-0)
3. 1733 to 1722 (-11) : Carleton (1-1)
4. 1665 to 1709 (+44) : Toronto (2-0)

If the ELO is strength of schedule, it must also include playoffs and UCup. UNB shouldn't be 1st based on regular season alone.

The thing I hate more, is how 3-4 teams drop out of the top ten each week, like they're so bad and these other 3-4 teams come out of now where to replace them - then in-turn get replaced the following week. The rankings should be more stable than that.

That's why the world has been blessed with this!
2019-20 Official Hollywood Top 35

Reactions: AUS Fan

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB also linked to Ben Hawerchuk, who played in Brampton this year with Dubeau/Clapperton/Petgrave.

Should be an interesting week or so with Lauzon/Hawerchuk/Seitz all possibilities and two spots to work with.

Lauzon (80 points, defensive forward of the year) seems to be the big fish out of that trio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Former NHL draft pick, that will give UNB a physical upside to go along with shutdown pk capability.
On the back end, Hall and Mcivor may give the Reds the best 2 way defensive punch in the CIS.

I love bringing in the big point producers as much as anyone, but I think they really need a guy like Hall and his skill set to complement the current group. I have found this year they have been just a bit more sloppier than usual in their own end and a big, defensive-minded guy should help clear up those issues. We saw how much worse they were defensively last year when Gazzola was out injured vs. when he was in the lineup so not terribly surprising they haven’t been quite as good defensively this year.

This probably means Gagne and Carroll are the odd guys out.

Also, as MacDougall mentioned, Hall seems like a natural replacement for McIvor next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddtFoyle

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
I love bringing in the big point producers as much as anyone, but I think they really need a guy like Hall and his skill set to complement the current group. I have found this year they have been just a bit more sloppier than usual in their own end and a big, defensive-minded guy should help clear up those issues. We saw how much worse they were defensively last year when Gazzola was out injured vs. when he was in the lineup so not terribly surprising they haven’t been quite as good defensively this year.

This probably means Gagne and Carroll are the odd guys out.

Also, as MacDougall mentioned, Hall seems like a natural replacement for McIvor next year.

Seitz has been at UNB since early in the fall and taking online courses until he could enroll full time at Christmas - I think it is telling that he has not been announced yet by UNB and that Hall who also was at UNB for a while but has been announced came though much later. I think the two spots are still up in the air - and have also heard that Seitz fitness level is behind - hard to crack that lineup if you can't match the intensity of the guys already in the lineup.

However it shakes out looks like some pretty nice black aces for the REDS in the second half.

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Seitz has been at UNB since early in the fall and taking online courses until he could enroll full time at Christmas - I think it is telling that he has not been announced yet by UNB and that Hall who also was at UNB for a while but has been announced came though much later. I think the two spots are still up in the air - and have also heard that Seitz fitness level is behind - hard to crack that lineup if you can't match the intensity of the guys already in the lineup.

However it shakes out looks like some pretty nice black aces for the REDS in the second half.
There will be a big second half coming for the REDS - they know its a marathon and not a sprint. We got this!

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It could be that Gardiner is looking at bringing in more players than his three openings (well two now that Hall is official). If that's the case, whomever isn't at peak fitness (Seitz?) might have to redshirt the rest of this season. Just a hunch.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I know that it has no bearing on anything, thought it was funny that UNB had three goalies dressed for yesterday's game, nice gesture.
Yes,, every UNB player was dressed. All the skaters got into the game, except Seitz, who did however skate in the warm up wearing #34. It was a crowded bench. My hunch now is that Seitz still has some academic issues to sort out, and they're waiting for the Registrar's office to reopen on Thursday.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Btw, it was interesting to hear Ben Hawerchuk explain yesterday that he played in Brampton up til Christmas to be closer to home. His father Dale is battling cancer. His family gave him the go ahead to come to UNB now as apparently Dale is doing better.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I know that it has no bearing on anything, thought it was funny that UNB had three goalies dressed for yesterday's game, nice gesture.

I noticed that. I thought maybe they were going to give each of them a period.

On that note, Harvey seems to be taking over as the go-to guy. He has been great since his first start against Acadia.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Home sick so I had to watch the 11-0 thumping of UPEI online. One quick question. Did at least one person throw their hat out on the ice when Boland scored his hat trick? I remember when Boucher got his hat trick and there was not a single hat thrown.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Home sick so I had to watch the 11-0 thumping of UPEI online. One quick question. Did at least one person throw their hat out on the ice when Boland scored his hat trick? I remember when Boucher got his hat trick and there was not a single hat thrown.

I don’t think so, but in my experience that is the case more often than not at the AUC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad