UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm not blaming anyone here, but I've seen a few Twitters about last night's shutout being the "greatest" in UNB history, because of the 11-0 score. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a shutout the same value regardless of the winning score? I could understand if the goalie made 100 incredible saves for the shutout. Then you could put that in a different category than your ordinary 11-0 win.

Just my thoughts on a grey morning.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
AUS
The top two spots, which obviously get the first round playoff bye's, are basically all but set.
I had expected SMU to push these two teams, but IMO, they have been inconsistent.
There is only a 5 pt difference between third place Moncton and 6 place X.
IMO, SMU and Moncton are the best of those 5 teams.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I'm not blaming anyone here, but I've seen a few Twitters about last night's shutout being the "greatest" in UNB history, because of the 11-0 score. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a shutout the same value regardless of the winning score? I could understand if the goalie made 100 incredible saves for the shutout. Then you could put that in a different category than your ordinary 11-0 win.

Up there with maybe the greatest blowouts, but from a goaltending perspective, there would be lot's of playoff shutouts that would top that, matter of fact "all of them"!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
AUS
The top two spots, which obviously get the first round playoff bye's, are basically all but set.
I had expected SMU to push these two teams, but IMO, they have been inconsistent.
There is only a 5 pt difference between third place Moncton and 6 place X.
IMO, SMU and Moncton are the best of those 5 teams.
Sorry,This was intended for the AUS thread.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I wonder if Seitz will get into the lineup? It would interesting to see him in a physical game, such as against Acadia or X.

Who does he replace though? I don’t like the idea of putting him into important games at this point just because he is big...especially if the rumors of his conditioning not quite being there yet are true.

They won last year after essentially trading out their grinding, physical 4th line of Thomas/Willick/Lewis with more skilled offensive guys. I would prefer to keep that philosophy.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008

Perfectly fair observation I had the same thought. A blowout is a blowout and this just happened to be a shutout. Dal came to town before Xmas and put in a similar stinker. I fully expect the real UPEI to resurface Tuesday night. Forbie will expect no less.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I'm not blaming anyone here, but I've seen a few Twitters about last night's shutout being the "greatest" in UNB history, because of the 11-0 score. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a shutout the same value regardless of the winning score?

Yes - agreed. I reported it because it was interesting and answers the question - "I wonder if this is the biggest?" from the casual fan. I used 'biggest' rather than 'greatest' - a 4-0 shutout in UCup finals would be 'great' (Fullerton '11). This game was more a testament to UNB's offense rather then Parenteau's skill in nets - he only had 22 shots. An interesting observation that gives Bruce (Daily Gleaner) an extra column inch of content.

The team didn't really care - they got the win - that's all their interested in. Parenteau didn't even keep the puck, he tossed it over the boards to a kid.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Curious to see how many games he might get into or was this just a matter of having an extra space on the roster.
Seitz has been practicing with the team for quite a while. They hinted in the official release about how much his conditioning and skill has improved while practicing, which supports those who say he had conditioning issues. Gardiner had to activate him by the 15th (?), or he couldn't play at all this season. I heard through a source that Gardiner was working on another stud player over the holidays, but the target elected to continue playing pro. So maybe Seitz getting to play this season was Plan B all along (once they discovered his conditioning issues)?

My hunch is that Seitz will get worked into a few games, giving whomever might be banged up a night off. That gives him a chance to show what he can do at the AUS level. Then he becomes a Black Ace, and waits until next season to get a regular spot (if he can earn it). You may have noticed, Gardiner has been platooning his defence a bit so that Conner Hall can play (although LeBlanc is out due to that cheapshot he took in Antigonish).

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Wouldn't surprise me to see him in vs X, maybe to introduce himself to Cuomo perhaps. I didn't realize that LeBlanc was going to be out.
I heard LeBlanc should be back after this coming weekend. At the game tonight , nasty hit on Boland right in front of me. Looks like he could be out a while, have to believe he will be out a while ... Pilon deserves multi games for that...

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It was hard to tell on the webcast, but the announcers were saying Pilon hit Boland’s body and that impact is what caused his head to hit the glass...as opposed to the point of contact being the head. If so, that would seem less likely to cause a major injury (hopefully).

Either way, it sounds like they dodged a massive bullet.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It was hard to tell on the webcast, but the announcers were saying Pilon hit Boland’s body and that impact is what caused his head to hit the glass...as opposed to the point of contact being the head. If so, that would seem less likely to cause a major injury (hopefully).

Either way, it sounds like they dodged a massive bullet.

Well, if it was a "body" check, why was he given a major? Or, was that another hit?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Well, if it was a "body" check, why was he given a major? Or, was that another hit?

Nope, same hit. Both announcers were pretty sure he was getting five and a game misconduct, but one of them mentioned he thought the injury was from the head hitting the glass on the check rather than Pilon hitting him in the head. As I said, it was hard to tell on the webcast...it may have been one of those instances where big hit + loud noise + injury = major penalty. However, you raise a good point, perhaps it shouldn’t have been a major.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It was a late hit. Boland was in a vulnerable position. On the webcast it happened in a flash, but my original thought right after the hit was that it should be five minute major for boarding or checking from behind. I was surprised that the announced call was checking to the head. I guess that's why the broadcasters were debating it.

Even though Boland came back in the third period, I would not be surprised if he is out this weekend. Post-concussion symptoms don't all happen right away, and it was pretty apparent he got his bell rung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad