UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Maybe I have my UNB blinders on, but from where I was 3 rows back from the glass, i think it could have been a hit to the head, a hit from behind, or boarding. Even the Charlottetown locals seemed okay with the call..

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If Hall and Goulet are suspended next weekend...and Simpson/McIvor are still out, who draws in? Obviously Carroll, but do they put Seitz in (even if just to have a warm body on the bench)?

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
If Hall and Goulet are suspended next weekend...and Simpson/McIvor are still out, who draws in? Obviously Carroll, but do they put Seitz in (even if just to have a warm body on the bench)?
Pomerleau also didn’t play in the third period last night, so that could potentially be another body down...

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
He took a good whack in second that was penalized and didn’t return. Hopefully just precautionary at this stage of season. While they may be shorthanded on weekend they don’t have a pressing need to win..other than to keep carrying their momentum.

Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Big win tonight with four regulars out. They really turned it on over the last 30 minutes.
Agreed. Sloppy early powerplay led to that shorthanded goal to Acadia. In the second and third period they seemed to have their feet moving better and won most of the puck battles. UNB looked to be very good on faceoffs as well. Will have to look at scoresheet.

I was surprised Cooper didn't play.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
How about the season Gilmour had? Probably one of the youngest players UNB has had in a long time (and probably one of the youngest in the AUS this year) and he finished with 27 points (and no PIM) in 30 games this year. I thought he did a fantastic job all year running the second power play unit from the half boards. I felt he was the key in really making that unit work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob and dm8895

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Not a big fan of the article on UNB hockey, in the daily gleaner on Saturday. I spoke to a Reds player today and he also wasn't a big fan of the article. Especially in a single elimination tournament, like the University cup. Hot goaltender and you can be one and done! Ask the team that doubled Guelph in shots, in 97-98 and lost.
Ask the 2003 V-Reds who doubled UQTR in shots, 50+ I think, but ran into a super hot goaltender.
Look at Alberta's loss to Waterloo, in Saskatoon, after dominating the Warriors with over 50 shots.
Get my point!

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Are you talking about Bill Hunt's column about UNB hockey? Because that's Bill's opinion, not a news article. Bill tells anyone who listens that UNB is a lock for the UCup this year. I don't necessarily agree with his opinion, because as mentioned, anything can happen in a short tournament. But he is entitled to his opinion, and one purpose of sports columns is to get people talking. So it looks like he succeeded.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Are you talking about Bill Hunt's column about UNB hockey? Because that's Bill's opinion, not a news article. Bill tells anyone who listens that UNB is a lock for the UCup this year. I don't necessarily agree with his opinion, because as mentioned, anything can happen in a short tournament. But he is entitled to his opinion, and one purpose of sports columns is to get people talking. So it looks like he succeeded.
Yes and of coarse he is entitled to his opinion, no problem there.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It's too bad the team didn't put a team bus option for Moncton on Monday. I bet there would be lots of locals interested but don't want to drive home in the dark late Monday night.

It had been a few years since we’ve had a bus trip. I don’t think the team organizes it though. It was organized by some dedicated fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad