UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If we are going one step further , every one agree on Ouzas and Fullerton as the goaltenders of the dynasty era ?

LaCosta too...although he just had the one really great year.

Yeomans unfortunately never got much of a chance, but his pedigree coming in was arguably better than any of them...and his numbers here were great (his record was insane), but with the caveat that he mainly played against the bottom half of the league. It’s just too bad his worst year was 08-09, when he was splitting starts with Fullerton and got his most playing time. I believe the plan all along was for DY to be the #1 that year after backing up Ouzas the year prior, but TF had that ridiculous shutout streak and led them to a title. There was no turning back after that. For his part Yeomans was probably their best ever back-up goalie...he had a ridiculous 1.26 GAA and 0.939 save percentage in 10–11.

We harped on their goaltending pretty hard for a number of years, but in hindsight they have had a lot more good ones than not. Outside of the odd year or two they have been pretty solid between the pipes.

Last edited:

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
UNB Bruins Fan, it's kind of ironic that Chris Culligan and Kyle Bailey can't crack your "All Time Type Players" at UNB when Culligan is 1st All Time in Playoff Scoring and 2nd All Time in Total Career Scoring while Bailey is 3rd All Time in Playoff Scoring and 5th All Time in Total Career Scoring.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB Bruins Fan, it's kind of ironic that Chris Culligan and Kyle Bailey can't crack your "All Time Type Players" at UNB when Culligan is 1st All Time in Playoff Scoring and 2nd All Time in Total Career Scoring while Bailey is 3rd All Time in Playoff Scoring and 5th All Time in Total Career Scoring.

Point taken.

I didn’t mean that as a slight against those two. Don’t get me wrong, they were great, great players (in fact, Bailey is my favorite UNB player of all-time). Certainly two of the best to ever play here and in any conversation when it comes to all-time teams/players. I just feel they weren’t quite as dominant as the trio of Maillet/Tremblay/Hennigar were, who put up similar numbers in four seasons (vs. five). Those three were on a different level IMO.

Culligan/Bailey were all-AUS players...but Maillet/Tremblay/Hennigar were U Sports MVP players.

Honestly, the fact there are this many guys you can make a case for just shows how spoiled we have been over the past 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: dm8895

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
UNB Bruins Fan, you have your mind made up and that’s fine but I think we do agree that Chris Culligan had a great career at UNB.
Playoff Scoring on a pt per game basis (whether 4 yrs or 5 yrs)
Rob Hennigar 1.206, Chris Culligan 1.135, Phil Maillet 1.129, Hunter Tremblay 1.033, Kyle Bailey 0.925
Other Note-worthy Highlights
2nd Game 2011 Nationals against Western. huge shorthanded goal to break scoreless tie early in 2nd
Led 2011-12 AUS Playoff Scoring with 13 pts in 6 games. Ouelett and Faille had 9 pts in 10 games, in 2nd
Captain of AUS All Stars that won World University Championship – Had 2 G and 1 A in Gold Medal game

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
They have obviously had their share of top players over the last 20 years that’s for sure. However, with all due respect to the latter three guys, the first three are “all-time” type guys...I think they are on a level all by themselves.

We can say this year’s team doesn’t have a “the guy”, but those guys don’t grow on trees. We have just been lucky/spoiled to witness a handful of them over the last decade. I think that’s the exception and shouldn’t be considered the norm.

In terms of some of the lesser known guys, I especially liked Stonier, Boisvert, Dickson, Todd, Wiebe, Pridham, Carroll, Brace, and Boudens.
Daryl Boyce would go on to play in the NHL.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
Why is the UNB game vs Acadia on November 9th at 4pm?

Trial run to see what attendance would be for 4pm weekend games? I could actually see attendance being higher with people being able to go and still attend Saturday night commitments. It actually works out well for those that like to attend the basketball games as well as the games are usually at the same time leaving fans and students to choose 1.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Trial run to see what attendance would be for 4pm weekend games? I could actually see attendance being higher with people being able to go and still attend Saturday night commitments. It actually works out well for those that like to attend the basketball games as well as the games are usually at the same time leaving fans and students to choose 1.

In the rare afternoon games I’ve been to, I don’t recall the attendance being better than the 7PM games.

Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I talked to John Richard, the UNB AD. Indeed, the hockey team wanted to try a 4 pm start for a couple of games this year to see if freeing up Saturday evenings would encourage more folks to come to a late afternoon game. And it just happens to avoid a conflict with basketball. Ideally, it might have been better to do the afternoon game on Nov. 23rd, when they are having the Teddy Bear Toss, but the women have a game that afternoon at 3.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
The challenge with Saturday at 4pm is that the target audience of younger families is generally tied up with basketball, hockey and volleyball tourneys and other activities. Us old farts and/or those of us who have worn out our welcome at home will go at 7pm any night! But the Buster Harvey peewee tourney will have a number of teams in town that may benefit. Hope it works out well but an Acadia v unb match would be nice in prime time.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The whole CW used to always be at 7:00 on Saturday. Then Alberta went to 6:00. Then teams started with 2:00 or 3:00 for travel reasons. Afternoon games don't draw as well out here. Families usually are busy on Saturday afternoons. Even now, I find Saturday afternoon games to be a pain.

Reactions: dm8895

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to Findlay, defenseman and former Penguins 3rd round NHL draft pick Connor Hall will be joining the team after Christmas.

Looks like he is a big guy (6’2”, 203 pounds), but not really a point producer (23 points in 115 career OHL games). Only played 68 games with Kitchener the last three years so assume he has battled injuries.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Game against UPEI postponed. I wonder if they'll have time to squeeze it into the first half?

Noticed that the Reds are 0-3 on their last three two man advantages. Two last night against Moncton. The other against SMU.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yup, and Windsor plays Moncton as well so probably can’t add a game against the Lancers.

Might be tough to add anything at this point...gotta think most teams have their schedules set in stone. Although, I believe some other AUS teams have games available as well so might be able to do something there in a pinch.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Nice article in the Gleaner about MacDougall.

It was finally confirmed he signed another 5 year extension in the summer. No surprise that Richard has said he can basically stay as long as he wants.

The article also touches on something I’ve been thinking about recently...the Hockey Hall of Fame. Gotta think if he has another 10 or so years at this current level he will eventually get enshrined.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Maybe I’m wrong, but I have got the impression Seitz is more of a “just in case” guy than a for sure addition at this point. Will probably depend on how recruiting over the next month goes.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Seitz’ grit and character will be a welcome infusion. Unb has always had that edge player that has played a role. Lots of passive play in first half. Talent will only carry you so far.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Seitz’ grit and character will be a welcome infusion. Unb has always had that edge player that has played a role. Lots of passive play in first half. Talent will only carry you so far.

I tend to agree. I know nothing about Seitz or the kind of player he is, but hopefully he fills that Boudens/agitator role that has been missing so far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad