GDT: UFC 252: Miocic vs. Cormier 3

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I know Jones is 'undefeated', but I had Gustafsson winning their first fight and Reyes winning the last one. Santos didn't win but that fight was hugely disappointing for Jones.

I've seen people stop fighting for less. Half his finger is buried in there.

The best was when Cormier complained about it and the ref was like 'it was a punch, go sit down'.

Yeah, that sucks. Should've given him the timeout but even then...that eye was done and Stipe did more in general.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I had it 49-46 as well.

Stipe was the better fighter from start to finish tonight. His boxing looked good and the chin held up to the big right hands from DC once again. The one thing I didn't expect coming into this fight was Stipe being the one controlling the grappling and using the cage to his advantage. I figured for sure that's one thing DC would have in his favour. Props to Luke Thomas for once again calling that in one of his breakdowns. He pointed out Stipe having some success with his strategy of grabbing DC's hand in the clinch and then using his free arm to push against his neck/clavicle to get him against the cage. He repeatedly did that again tonight and DC had no answer for it probably due to some combination of Stipe's strength/length and fatigue.

Honestly, that was a disappointing performance by DC. He landed his fair share of punches but overall I didn't like what I saw. I know it's easier said than done but to only attempt one takedown is just a losing strategy. His cardio also didn't hold up once again tonight. The eye poke by Stipe was really bad and probably even worse than any DC caught him with but it was going to be 3-0 for Stipe even before that.

Disappointing way to go out but DC still had a great career. He can't be on any of the GOAT lists because of his losses to Jones and Stipe but he's up there among the best to do it. He's great in the booth as well so he'll still be around.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I will give DC credit for one thing and that's that he sure talked me into him being at his best for this fight over the last few weeks. I know a month or two back I had 100% confidence that Miocic would win the fight pretty easily in the manner he did tonight, but then over the last couple of weeks DC started talking like the "old" DC again. And while he was okay tonight, it was really apparent that this version of DC isn't as good as Miocic.

That said, if this is the end then congrats on a great career DC. Will probably end up a bit underrated because of how good Jones/Miocic are in the same divisions as him but DC is in my top 5 of all-time.
Cormier is in my top 5 all-time too. Probably with Miocic, St. Pierre, Jones, and Nurmagomedov. In no order.

Keep in mind, this is a bit different than Conor McGregor's all-time top 5 list. Where he ranked himself 2nd all-time.

Reactions: m9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Cormier is in my top 5 all-time too. Probably with Miocic, St. Pierre, Jones, and Nurmagomedov. In no order.

Keep in mind, this is a bit different than Conor McGregor's all-time top 5 list. Where he ranked himself 2nd all-time.
No Anderson Silva?

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I had it 49-46 as well.

Stipe was the better fighter from start to finish tonight. His boxing looked good and the chin held up to the big right hands from DC once again. The one thing I didn't expect coming into this fight was Stipe being the one controlling the grappling and using the cage to his advantage. I figured for sure that's one thing DC would have in his favour. Props to Luke Thomas for once again calling that in one of his breakdowns. He pointed out Stipe having some success with his strategy of grabbing DC's hand in the clinch and then using his free arm to push against his neck/clavicle to get him against the cage. He repeatedly did that again tonight and DC had no answer for it probably due to some combination of Stipe's strength/length and fatigue.

Honestly, that was a disappointing performance by DC. He landed his fair share of punches but overall I didn't like what I saw. I know it's easier said than done but to only attempt one takedown is just a losing strategy. His cardio also didn't hold up once again tonight. The eye poke by Stipe was really bad and probably even worse than any DC caught him with but it was going to be 3-0 for Stipe even before that.

Disappointing way to go out but DC still had a great career. He can't be on any of the GOAT lists because of his losses to Jones and Stipe but he's up there among the best to do it. He's great in the booth as well so he'll still be around.

Good take. Agree completely with everything said.

I was a little surprised that Stipe went with the clinch so much in round 3 as you could see DC still visibly wobbled from the end of round 2. He didn't look good at all when round 3 started. By the end of round 3 it was looking like DC caught a second wind. I would have liked to see Stipe go for the finish more there, but other than that good execution to counter DC.

DC is an emotional guy so I don't think anything about his post fight interview. DC should probably hang up the gloves though, I think he's looking less sharp every fight, and I say that as a massive DC fan.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m not positive that DC has a choice on hanging up his gloves after seeing that eye poke and his eye after, it looked like Bispings eye looked

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I was a little surprised that Stipe went with the clinch so much in round 3 as you could see DC still visibly wobbled from the end of round 2. He didn't look good at all when round 3 started. By the end of round 3 it was looking like DC caught a second wind. I would have liked to see Stipe go for the finish more there, but other than that good execution to counter DC.

DC is an emotional guy so I don't think anything about his post fight interview. DC should probably hang up the gloves though, I think he's looking less sharp every fight, and I say that as a massive DC fan.

Yeah, same here. I agree about DC not looking good at all coming into that round and he was content with just being held against the cage. Cruz said that's just typical DC taking the 3rd round off to get a breather but I don't know about that.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
No Anderson Silva?
Silva is very close.

Probably the last part of his career has maybe hurt my perception of him, and dropped him out of my top 5. Same with Jose Aldo.

Maybe the same reason why Mark Messier ranks worse than he maybe should in a lot of all-time lists, based on the last part of his career.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

I don't think Stipe wanted to get overly aggressive at that point.

He probably looked at Cormier's eye and wobbling, and said to himself "I will have this guy over 5 rounds if I fight a smart fight".

If he got overly aggressive, even against a hobbled fighter, he leaves himself open to getting hit with a punch or getting trapped in a submission hold.

Reactions: h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I’m not positive that DC has a choice on hanging up his gloves after seeing that eye poke and his eye after, it looked like Bispings eye looked

It didn't look good at all. I hope that's not the case. Here's to a full recovery.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Stipe vs. Ngannou or Jones should be the next one. Ngannou has more than earned the rematch and deserves the next title shot. I think the only thing that could prevent that from happening is if Jones says he wants to fight Stipe next.

I'd love to see Jones finally move up to HW. I also wonder if it's too late now because he doesn't look like the same fight anymore. Maybe he'll be rejuvenated with the fresh challenge and not having to cut weight could also be a benefit.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Yeah, same here. I agree about DC not looking good at all coming into that round and he was content with just being held against the cage. Cruz said that's just typical DC taking the 3rd round off to get a breather but I don't know about that.

You can't just afford to take rounds off in a 5 round fight. I think Cruz was being silly, and that Cormier was legitimately exhausted at that point.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Stipe vs. Ngannou or Jones should be the next one. Ngannou has more than earned the rematch and deserves the next title shot. I think the only thing that could prevent that from happening is if Jones says he wants to fight Stipe next.

I'd love to see Jones finally move up to HW. I also wonder if it's too late now because he doesn't look like the same fight anymore. Maybe he'll be rejuvenated with the fresh challenge and not having to cut weight could also be a benefit.

Jones without his performance-enhancing drugs might not be the same anymore.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
You can't just afford to take rounds off in a 5 round fight. I think Cruz was being silly, and that Cormier was legitimately exhausted at that point.

That comment reminded me of Cruz pretending McGregor was trying to "gas out" Khabib while Khabib was smashing his face in.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Probably just felt like Santos beat Jones because they were super close(split decision) and Jones did f*** all against a guy on one leg.

It felt like it because it's typical for people to overscore rounds for the underdog when they are doing better than expected.

A healthy Santos is a problem for this version of Jones who doesn't use his wrestling. Hope he gets himself back into contention quickly.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Didn't notice it live but they just showed O'Malley having an awkward slip on the mat earlier in the fight involving his right leg.
Yes. I saw that on the replay right after the fight was done.

Looks like a rolled ankle, and ligament damage (a bad sprain),

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
That comment reminded me of Cruz pretending McGregor was trying to "gas out" Khabib while Khabib was smashing his face in.
That was a very bad analysis too.

It was obvious that Conor was the one who was exhausted and just hanging on to kill time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad