GDT: UFC 252: Miocic vs. Cormier 3

member 51464

guys he is fighting probably the best UFC heavyweight ever with one eye for more than half the fight and he was still landing a bit, you’re not gonna get a maestro performance at that point

I thought he looked fine when he had both eyes
Fine in the sense he wasn't outclassed? Sure, I agree.

But DC didn't at any point seem like he was a threat to take the fight. Like I said upthread, Stipe seemed arrogant saying the first fight was a fluke, but sure enough his chin has looked pretty damn solid in the nine rounds since.

Maybe DC would've guessed trying to wrestle, but like....idk man. That's your bread and butter. Even before the eye poke, he just seemed not up to the task.

I will say I'm glad for him he didn't get knocked out or embarrassed in his last fight. I'm not a huge fan of his personality, but he deserved a better fate, and I'm happy he at least got to go all five.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
not after that tweet lol
That tweet is telling.

On the other hand, remember when Brock Lesnar came into the ring once and got into a shoving match with Cormier?

That never resulted in anything. Probably due to money.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I will give DC credit for one thing and that's that he sure talked me into him being at his best for this fight over the last few weeks. I know a month or two back I had 100% confidence that Miocic would win the fight pretty easily in the manner he did tonight, but then over the last couple of weeks DC started talking like the "old" DC again. And while he was okay tonight, it was really apparent that this version of DC isn't as good as Miocic.

That said, if this is the end then congrats on a great career DC. Will probably end up a bit underrated because of how good Jones/Miocic are in the same divisions as him but DC is in my top 5 of all-time.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Fine in the sense he wasn't outclassed? Sure, I agree.

But DC didn't at any point seem like he was a threat to take the fight. Like I said upthread, Stipe seemed arrogant saying the first fight was a fluke, but sure enough his chin has looked pretty damn solid in the nine rounds since.

Maybe DC would've guessed trying to wrestle, but like....idk man. That's your bread and butter. Even before the eye poke, he just seemed not up to the task.

I will say I'm glad for him he didn't get knocked out or embarrassed in his last fight. I'm not a huge fan of his personality, but he deserved a better fate, and I'm happy he at least got to go all five.

stunned stipe pretty good in that first round

Agreed on the wrestling

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
That tweet is telling.

On the other hand, remember when Brock Lesnar came into the ring once and got into a shoving match with Cormier?

That never resulted in anything. Probably due to money.

Or steroids.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I will give DC credit for one thing and that's that he sure talked me into him being at his best for this fight over the last few weeks. I know a month or two back I had 100% confidence that Miocic would win the fight pretty easily in the manner he did tonight, but then over the last couple of weeks DC started talking like the "old" DC again. And while he was okay tonight, it was really apparent that this version of DC isn't as good as Miocic.

That said, if this is the end then congrats on a great career DC. Will probably end up a bit underrated because of how good Jones/Miocic are in the same divisions as him but DC is in my top 5 of all-time.

DC isn't young anymore so he isn't getting better with age. If he stays he will be worse off.

Reactions: m9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dunno if I have DC top 5 all time, but he's definitely top 10.

I wonder if Stipe will start getting a bit more respect.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
That strategic adjustment to push to the fence rather than trying to fight for position in the open won him that fight
Maybe. But can you blame him? When you are way ahead in both strikes and significant strikes, then why try to trade shots with someone in the centre of the cage?

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Jon doesn't want Reyes or Ngannou so if he's going to get back into the sport Stipe makes a lot of sense for him. Not saying he wins but that's a huge opportunity for him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I definitely think Santos beat Jones.

Same. I thought Jones lost to both.

Seems like secret to beating jones is not to fight at his pace and push back and be aggressive.

Guys like Reyes would go for volume and push the pace. Santos didn't care about a damaged leg, he kept pushing too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Or steroids.

It looked like he got off the gas around that time and then I think he chickened out because he started to have a little bit of a dad bod (by his standards) on TV, wouldn’t shock me if Vince paid him extra to pass on the ufc and go back on the gas lol

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Santos didn't beat Jones, and if you think that then you just really hate Jones.

Reyes? Yeah, he probably beat Jones.
Yeah, Santos didn't beat Jones. It was just a very underwhelming win for Jones considering Santos blew out his knee in what R2 or something?

Reactions: m9 and Avs_19

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I know Jones is 'undefeated', but I had Gustafsson winning their first fight and Reyes winning the last one. Santos didn't win but that fight was hugely disappointing for Jones.
yeah honestly it was one of the worst I’ve ever seen, crazy it didn’t get caught

should have had his time to regroup
I've seen people stop fighting for less. Half his finger is buried in there.

The best was when Cormier complained about it and the ref was like 'it was a punch, go sit down'.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think everyone here hates him but man, I love Uncle Chael.

Nah, love Chael. He's like a pro wrestler who actually fights, its great.

Even Colby, a lot of people hate him but he's actually a good guy with a gimmick. I don't even believe he and Jorge hate each other because Jorge refuses to fight him despite how money it would be.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, Santos didn't beat Jones. It was just a very underwhelming in for Jones considering Santos was blew out his knee in what R2 or something?

Probably just felt like Santos beat Jones because they were super close(split decision) and Jones did f*** all against a guy on one leg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad