GDT: UFC 252: Miocic vs. Cormier 3

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
They seriously need to do something about eye pokes in this sport especially after this one, DC threw one in each fight and it caught up to him, I don’t want to say it was intentional but Stipe is a pretty clean fighter and I don’t think he’s ever landed an eye poke on any other fighter other than DC. DC will probably never be the same even if his vision comes back.

Maybe Pride gloves? Or a point taken right away?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah they need to figure out something with the gloves imo

we are gonna see an eyeball dangle at some point if something isn’t done

Reactions: crazychimp

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
RE: Lesnar's aborted comeback vs DC

After the ESPN deal, Lesnar reportedly demanded more money due to the expected decrease in PPV buys, said to be in the region of $10 million. UFC of course balked at such a number, even though that's the kind of payday that fighters who can draw like Lesnar should probably be getting in the first place.

What a lame fight.

Truthfully, most heavyweight bouts that don't result in a knockout are lame fights.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Around 2:58 of the fight Vera lands a side kick to O'Malley's right knee. O'Malley actually reaches down and touches his right knee for a second and immediately switches stances and is leaning heavily on his left leg. A few seconds later O'Malley tries to put weight on his right leg and the foot just gives way leading to a brief but noticeable slip. Rewatching it now the reason this wasn't more noticeable on the broadcast is probably because the camera is to the left and a little bit behind O'Malley and only showing him from the chest up so it's not clear from that angle what caused the stumble. It also doesn't help this happened right while Rogan and Cruz were marveling at Anik telling them that both Vera and O'Malley have longer legs than Stipe which distracted them from actually calling the fight in front of them for about a minute. This slip was well before the ankle roll that everyone, including the commentators, noticed and this is the moment Okamoto mentioned in the post fight commentary but even he wasn't really sure what he saw as he hadn't rewatched the fight. When it happened Vera kind of taunts O'Malley like "what's wrong?" while pointing to his right leg. That injury was definitely caused by that kick by Vera.

Crazy the broadcast didn't replay that moment.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Looked more like the injury was caused because O'Malley was trying to feint and landed on an awkward part of his foot and rolled his ankle really badly.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Around 2:58 of the fight Vera lands a side kick to O'Malley's right knee. O'Malley actually reaches down and touches his right knee for a second and immediately switches stances and is leaning heavily on his left leg. A few seconds later O'Malley tries to put weight on his right leg and the foot just gives way leading to a brief but noticeable slip. Rewatching it now the reason this wasn't more noticeable on the broadcast is probably because the camera is to the left and a little bit behind O'Malley and only showing him from the chest up so it's not clear from that angle what caused the stumble. It also doesn't help this happened right while Rogan and Cruz were marveling at Anik telling them that both Vera and O'Malley have longer legs than Stipe which distracted them from actually calling the fight in front of them for about a minute. This slip was well before the ankle roll that everyone, including the commentators, noticed and this is the moment Okamoto mentioned in the post fight commentary but even he wasn't really sure what he saw as he hadn't rewatched the fight. When it happened Vera kind of taunts O'Malley like "what's wrong?" while pointing to his right leg. That injury was definitely caused by that kick by Vera.

Crazy the broadcast didn't replay that moment.

pretty sure Marlon said in the post-fight interview it happened when he checked one of those kicks, which makes sense since O’Malley is saying it’s a foot injury (what he had last time)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I know Jones is 'undefeated', but I had Gustafsson winning their first fight and Reyes winning the last one. Santos didn't win but that fight was hugely disappointing for Jones.

I've seen people stop fighting for less. Half his finger is buried in there.

The best was when Cormier complained about it and the ref was like 'it was a punch, go sit down'.

I had Gus winning the first fight as well, and think you can easily make a case he dropped his last two as well.

Reactions: YNWA14 and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For my next morning thoughts...

First, congrats to Stipe. Dude doesn't get the respect he deserves and I don't know why. He can box, he can wrestle, he moves well for a HW, he goes in there to throw down and has been in some wars, he knocks guys out, he can eat a shot, he has great cardio, he seems like a genuinely nice dude. I don't know if it's the lack of shit talking or the lack of that freakish power like Francis or what, but he's the UFC GHWOAT for a reason and has been in some awesome fights.

For DC, it sucks. He's one of the best to ever do it, but he was here at a time with the GOAT and the GHWOAT. He's the runner up again which has unfortunately happened a lot in his athletic career. I'm not 100% certain he's done with him saying he wouldn't fight again unless it was for a championship. He admitted he probably wasn't going to get another shot so that's it, but while the door might be closed, it might not be locked.

As far as the fight goes, it kind of played out how I thought it would for once. Stipe was more active both with his feet and with his combos. DC didn't wrestle much. Stipe clinched him against the cage. DC's adjustment to those liver shots was to keep his arms down instead of grabbing at Stipe's hands. That left more openings to his head and made it harder for him to get through Stipe's hands to land shots of his own. Just a great gameplan and performance from Stipe. A lot of the talk is about the eye poke. Listen, it sucks, but I'm not shedding any tears for DC. He went knuckle deep in Stipe's eye in the first fight and then KO'ed him on that side, poked him multiple times in the second fight to the point Stipe had to get eye surgery, and then poked him again in the third fight. So I'm not happy it happened, but what goes around comes around. DC's eye was getting f***ed up even before the poke, too. You could also argue the 4th round was DC's best round anyway and it was immediately after the poke. For the people saying the UFC needs to do something about the gloves or taking a point away or something because of this fight, welcome, but you're late to the party. This is just another example in a long, long list.

Dana said Francis is next even when reporters brought up Jon Jones. As I said before the fight, if I was Stipe, I'd push for Jones or retire. I think he can beat Francis again, but it's obviously a huge risk and there's not much upside. He already beat him and I don't think that PPV does all that well.

Seems that maybe Vera did cause O'Malley's injury, so that makes it a more legit win for him. Still, I'd be concerned about O'Malley's foot or ankle or whatever it is. Seems like it could be a reoccurring problem like Cruz's injuries.

Easily Rozenstruik's best win. I think Blaydes is the only fight that makes sense for him next. Speaking of retirement, JDS should think about hanging them up soon. That's 3 KO losses in a row. He's only 36 which isn't that old for HW, but he's got a lot of miles on him. I don't see him getting back to the title, so I guess it's a question of what is he fighting for? If he keeps going, an Overeem rematch might make sense for both guys.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
In the post-fight presser, Dana said he's interested in talking to Chandler and was complimentary towards him. Doesn't mean it will get done, but that's a positive sign. I was half expecting Dana to say "We are only looking for young, hungry lions".

Reactions: YNWA14

member 51464

DC should've retired after the first. He had finally overcome the "always finishing 2nd" mentality by being temporary double champ and could've ridden off into the sunset. Oh well.

Hopefully his eye isn't long-term f***ed up and we still have him around to enjoy on broadcast for a long time to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I feel a sense of vindication for saying back on the first page that I wasn't really looking for to the main event...

There was nothing special about this fight other than the unwarranted hype leading up to it...

Cormier is supposed to be an all-time great wrestler, but he wasn't able to wrestle Stipe...

Stipe is supposed to be an all-time great heavyweight striker, but he wasn't able to dominate a short, out of shape wrestler on the feet...

It's embarrassing that this fight was marketed to decide the GOAT heavyweight in UFC history!

And can someone please explain to me why Stipe wasn't peppering DC's face with jabs all night?

Go back and re-watch the fight... it's nothing but openings for Stipe to land jabs, and he barely threw any!

I hope they both retire...

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don’t think the main event was lame at all
Me neither, I thought it was a good back and forth for a while until Stipe started taking over. I would have liked to see DC use his wrestling more but credit to Stipe maybe he’s just hard to take down.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
IMO, O'Malley's loss doesn't change anything... he wasn't exposed... he wasn't out-classed...he got injured... he lost... it happens...

Hopefully he's not out for too long...

Reactions: pistolpete11

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I feel a sense of vindication for saying back on the first page that I wasn't really looking for to the main event...

There was nothing special about this fight other than the unwarranted hype leading up to it...

Cormier is supposed to be an all-time great wrestler, but he wasn't able to wrestle Stipe...

Stipe is supposed to be an all-time great heavyweight striker, but he wasn't able to dominate a short, out of shape wrestler on the feet...

It's embarrassing that this fight was marketed to decide the GOAT heavyweight in UFC history!

And can someone please explain to me why Stipe wasn't peppering DC's face with jabs all night?

Go back and re-watch the fight... it's nothing but openings for Stipe to land jabs, and he barely threw any!

I think both of their skill sets sort of cancelled each other out, just evenly matched fighters, DC’s boxing is underrated even though he’s the wrestler he’s good at that dirty boxing and when he steps in and out quick but Stipe kept the distance better in this fight with better footwork and used his reach, and DC couldn’t shoot in. I don’t think you can deny Stipe as the GOAT heavyweight he’s had the most title defences in the history of the UFC at HW, that’s one more than Fedor with Pride.

I think the Ngannou matchup is next, last time Ngannou’s wrestling was non existent, I don’t see it being any better if they were to fight again that’s why I want to see Jones skip the line and fight Stipe.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

To each their own, but I thought it was a good fight. There was momentum swings, DC won the first round, then Stipe started taking over, then DC started coming back. Stipe got rocked. DC got rocked. Without knowing how the judges were scoring it, it could have been anyone's fight going into the 5th. The only thing it didn't have was a finish. I mean it wasn't an all time classic, but it was a high level MMA fight.

'Unwarranted hype"? 2 of the best to ever do it in a HW trilogy for the belt? That doesn't warrant hype?

Cormier is a great wrestler and Stipe is a good boxer, but what makes both of them so good is that they are well rounded. Expecting either of them to dominate the other was foolish and on you, not them. And as I said before the fight, DC is 41 years old, 236lbs, and going against a big, strong guy. Expecting him to wrestle for 5 rounds was not in the cards.

To answer your question, it's easy to say use your jab. But every time you throw a jab, or anything for that matter, it leaves an opening. So is landing a jab worth possibly having to eat a right hook from DC?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
DC should've retired after the first. He had finally overcome the "always finishing 2nd" mentality by being temporary double champ and could've ridden off into the sunset. Oh well.

Hopefully his eye isn't long-term f***ed up and we still have him around to enjoy on broadcast for a long time to come.
For his legacy, sure. But he also made millions of dollars between the Lewis fight and Stipe 2 and 3.

I wonder how things would have been different if Brock was never on the table, too. He was hanging on trying to get that Brock payday and then kind of got suckered into the other fights.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To each their own, but I thought it was a good fight. There was momentum swings, DC won the first round, then Stipe started taking over, then DC started coming back. Stipe got rocked. DC got rocked. Without knowing how the judges were scoring it, it could have been anyone's fight going into the 5th. The only thing it didn't have was a finish. I mean it wasn't an all time classic, but it was a high level MMA fight.

'Unwarranted hype"? 2 of the best to ever do it in a HW trilogy for the belt? That doesn't warrant hype?

Cormier is a great wrestler and Stipe is a good boxer, but what makes both of them so good is that they are well rounded. Expecting either of them to dominate the other was foolish and on you, not them. And as I said before the fight, DC is 41 years old, 236lbs, and going against a big, strong guy. Expecting him to wrestle for 5 rounds was not in the cards.

To answer your question, it's easy to say use your jab. But every time you throw a jab, or anything for that matter, it leaves an opening. So is landing a jab worth possibly having to eat a right hook from DC?

I just don't think Cormier is among the best to ever do it, so maybe that's the sticking point for me...

As for the jabs...

Stipe has an 80 inch reach, Cormier's is 72.5

It would seem physically impossible for Cormier to land counter hooks if he's on the end of Stipe's jab

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I just don't think Cormier is among the best to ever do it, so maybe that's the sticking point for me...

As for the jabs...

Stipe has an 80 inch reach, Cormier's is 72.5

It would seem physically impossible for Cormier to land counter hooks if he's on the end of Stipe's jab
DC's fought at the highest level of MMA and only ever lost to Jon Jones who is probably the GOAT and Stipe who is unquestionably the greatest HW in UFC history. It's really not even close at this point. DC's got wins over Stipe, Lewis, Rumble (x2), Gus, Henderson, Mir, Barnett, Bigfoot who was coming off a win against Fedor. Besides beating Jones or Stipe again, what more could he have done?

If Stipe sticks him with it, sure. But the more you throw it, the more chances you give DC to time it, slip it, and crack you.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
DC's fought at the highest level of MMA and only ever lost to Jon Jones who is probably the GOAT and Stipe who is unquestionably the greatest HW in UFC history. It's really not even close at this point. DC's got wins over Stipe, Lewis, Rumble (x2), Gus, Henderson, Mir, Barnett, Bigfoot who was coming off a win against Fedor. Besides beating Jones or Stipe again, what more could he have done?

If Stipe sticks him with it, sure. But the more you throw it, the more chances you give DC to time it, slip it, and crack you.

Don't get me wrong, his resume is solid, I'm speaking more about his skills as a fighter...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad