Heavyweight bout: Chris Daukaus vs. Parker Porter
Women's Strawweight bout: Felice Herrig vs. Virna Jandiroba

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Featherweight bout: Herbert Burns vs. Daniel Pineda
Featherweight bout: T.J Brown vs. Daniel Chavez​

Reactions: pistolpete11

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The main event is great and one of my favourite fights this year. I think DC is the better fighter and he has shown that over the course of two fights now. The first one was a quick KO and the second one he controlled for three rounds before getting finished. So he has won 4 of the 5 rounds so far and that's without even using his wrestling. If he actually goes to his wrestling like he has been saying in the lead up, I like him to control most of this fight and win either via a UD or maybe late TKO. If it stays standing then I still like DC's chances but those body shots have to be a concern and Stipe still has the power to knock him out.

Good step up in competition for O'Malley. It'll be a good test but it's also a winnable fight. I said the exact same thing with Shahbazyan/Brunson and it didn't go well for the prospect but I don't see a repeat of that happening. I think O'Malley will finish Vera.

JDS/Rozenstruik should be a fun HW fight that doesn't go the distance. I'd lean JDS if he fights smart but either one of them can get KO'd.

Overall I think this is a weak main card for a PPV. As good as O'Malley might be, they're missing a proper co-main. Dodson/Dvalishvili has no business being on the main card. The Ankalaev/Cutelaba rematch could be entertaining again.​

member 51464

If DC doesn't do any eye poking, I am fine if he wins. If he does, I hope he ends up getting embarrassed and crying in the ring.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My criteria for a co-main is "would it be a good Fight Night headliner?" and I'm not there with O'Malley yet. Actually I'm probably there with him, but Vera just isn't interesting at all to me. It's an appropriate fight though.

On the other hand JDS/Rozenstruik would meet my co-main criteria. I like JDS as an underdog here - he looks in amazing shape and Rozenstruik didn't look great v Overeem and obviously Ngannou.

I like Miocic to win but I'm not as confident as I was a few weeks back. DC has said everything right the last few weeks so hopefully we see the best version of him. I like both guys - it's one of those fights where I'm not betting any money and will be happy for whoever wins.

The Dodson fight should be on the undercard - we're one PPV fight short here.

The prelims are a pile of crap other than Miller/Pichel.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm really excited for the main event. Outside of Khabib-Tony, this was the only other fight that I thought needed to happen in 2020. I really don't know who's going to win, but I think I'm starting to lean Stipe. I think the first 2 fights were closer than people remember. Obviously he got KO'ed in the first one, but he had early success in the round. DC put it on him in R1 of the second fight, but R2 and R3 were pretty close. I'd probably still have given them to DC, but they were more competitive than I remembered watching live. R4 was all Stipe until he finally got the KO.

People keep talking about DC's wrestling and I agree he's the better wrestler, but he's 41, carrying more weight, has had back problems, and Stipe's a big, strong guy who's got some wrestling himself. DC used his wrestling in R1 of the second fight, but he didn't really go back to it. I guess you could say it was because he was winning on the feet, but like I said above, round 2 and 3 were close. If you're that confident in your wrestling, why not go for the takedown and secure those rounds? I think it's because he was starting to gas whereas Stipe looked to be only getting stronger as the fight went on.

So, it's been a year. I think Stipe's chin will be recharged and he'll be able to eat DC's shots again. He'll have the better cardio and I think he'll go back to those body shots earlier to deplete DC faster. His corner was also asking him to move his feet and throw more combos. Once he did, he started having more success. I think he'll do that earlier this time, too. Eventually, I think he's going to wear him down with that immigrant mentality and get the finish late again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
As for the rest of the card, O'Malley is just electric. He's exciting in fights you expect him to win easily, so this one should be interesting. It's the perfect step up for him and it's a big name for Vera if he can get the win. Good match making.

JDS-Rozenstruik is a good one. I think JDS is better, but Rozenstruik has that equalizer. The last time I thought JDS would be smart and play it safe against a big powerful guy, he somehow ended up turning his back on the feet to Francis and getting KO'ed. So who knows.

It's missing one more fight to make it a really good PPV. I think Frankie-Munhoz was talked about for this card at one point. That would have been a good one to bump the Dodson fight to the prelims. Still, the main event is worth it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Looking forward to Merab repping LI.

I thought DC made a notable comment that Stipe was losing the fight until he made the adjustment in the fourth round. An excellent adjustment mind you that finished the fight but that he played his card and now DC has prepped for body shots.

So while we know Stipe needs to move his feet more, what adjustments offensively can we see? Also, any shot he initiates any wrestling?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I thought DC made a notable comment that Stipe was losing the fight until he made the adjustment in the fourth round. An excellent adjustment mind you that finished the fight but that he played his card and now DC has prepped for body shots.

So while we know Stipe needs to move his feet more, what adjustments offensively can we see? Also, any shot he initiates any wrestling?

I'm not sure what adjustments Stipe would've made but he has a smart team around him so they probably came up with something different. I can't imagine they think they're just going to come in and do the same thing this time around.

As for DC, he has been saying and apparently doing the right things that give more optimism for his chances. Maybe it's excuse making but him and his coaches said his recovery from back surgery impacted his training last time leading to the cardio issues but he has been healthy in this camp. He has had Cain training with him for this entire camp unlike last time when he was hurt and unable to help. He has also worked with Mark Henry to improve his striking and defense in addition to having all of his usual coaches.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

DC also told Jon Jones that he knew he was going to be looking for the left high kick and that it wasn't going to work....and then Jones kicked him in the head with a left high kick and TKO'ed him. I'm not saying he won't have an answer for the body shots, but knowing something is coming and stopping it are 2 different things. There's also the question of what openings will be created by the adjustments DC does make to the body shots.

As far as the wrestling, Stipe did take him down in the second fight. I know the general consensus is that DC is the better wrestler and I agree with that, but I think Stipe would be smart to wrestle, clinch, and make DC work early. I think Stipe has a better gas tank and DC is faster, but the longer the fight drags on, the more that speed advantage gets evened out, I think.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm not sure what adjustments Stipe would've made but he has a smart team around him so they probably came up with something different. I can't imagine they think they're just going to come in and do the same thing this time around.

As for DC, he has been saying and apparently doing the right things that give more optimism for his chances. Maybe it's excuse making but him and his coaches said his recovery from back surgery impacted his training last time leading to the cardio issues but he has been healthy in this camp. He has had Cain training with him for this entire camp unlike last time when he was hurt and unable to help. He has also worked with Mark Henry to improve his striking and defense in addition to having all of his usual coaches.

That's good for DC, it's his last fight so going all out on trainers for his best looks is great.

DC also told Jon Jones that he knew he was going to be looking for the left high kick and that it wasn't going to work....and then Jones kicked him in the head with a left high kick and TKO'ed him. I'm not saying he won't have an answer for the body shots, but knowing something is coming and stopping it are 2 different things. There's also the question of what openings will be created by the adjustments DC does make to the body shots.

As far as the wrestling, Stipe did take him down in the second fight. I know the general consensus is that DC is the better wrestler and I agree with that, but I think Stipe would be smart to wrestle, clinch, and make DC work early. I think Stipe has a better gas tank and DC is faster, but the longer the fight drags on, the more that speed advantage gets evened out, I think.
Oh great point on the Jones fight, I forgot about that.

I agree with Stipe wrestling, he's got skills there too and can't be overlooked. DC told him to bring is wrestling shoes and Stipe will be fine with that. He isn't Francis

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think much of this is DC just saying stuff to get in Miocic's head. Miocic was doing fine early in the first fight (from what I remember) and then probably won Round 3 in the rematch. Obviously he finished DC off in Round 4. Point is, the fights have been fairly even if you look at the full 20+ minutes they've spent in there together.

To me the most important thing Miocic needs to do is stay at range with his boxing. Don't get too close to DC to let him hold onto you or land his power punches. Just stay outside and move your feet. The variable with this gameplan is that they are fighting in the smaller cage so it will be a bit more difficult for Miocic.

But yeah, I like Miocic. This will be the dumbest breakdown ever, but as long as he doesn't let Cormier punch him in the head really hard he will win.

Reactions: h2 and pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I'm curious what he weighs in at.

He made some comments recently that this was a grueling camp and that he's never felt this way even when he was fighting 3 times a year. He sounded worn out. Maybe he was working that hard and his weight and cardio will be improved or maybe he's just getting old.

...or maybe he's just creating storylines and talking points. He's into the announcer side of things and WWE, so I wouldn't put it past him to be acting.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Hopefully DC wins by another eyepoke so the weirdos who hate him in the way they should hate garbage people like Jon Jones get big mad again.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I gotta admit, I'm not that pumped for the Cormier vs Stipe trilogy fight...

I'll watch it, of course, but I don't care who wins...

member 51464

Hopefully DC wins by another eyepoke so the weirdos who hate him in the way they should hate garbage people like Jon Jones get big mad again.
...or it is possible for someone to simultaneously hold the view that Jon Jones is an awful person and that DC shouldn't eye poke.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
As much as I like DC, I've gotta go with Miocic on this one. The smaller, fatter, older guy that lost the last one probably isn't going to win.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I predict DC is gonna grapple f*** him for 5 rounds In that small cage in a fight that’s not particularly entertaining

Stipe can wrestle but there are levels to it

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm really excited for the main event. Outside of Khabib-Tony, this was the only other fight that I thought needed to happen in 2020. I really don't know who's going to win, but I think I'm starting to lean Stipe. I think the first 2 fights were closer than people remember. Obviously he got KO'ed in the first one, but he had early success in the round. DC put it on him in R1 of the second fight, but R2 and R3 were pretty close. I'd probably still have given them to DC, but they were more competitive than I remembered watching live. R4 was all Stipe until he finally got the KO.

People keep talking about DC's wrestling and I agree he's the better wrestler, but he's 41, carrying more weight, has had back problems, and Stipe's a big, strong guy who's got some wrestling himself. DC used his wrestling in R1 of the second fight, but he didn't really go back to it. I guess you could say it was because he was winning on the feet, but like I said above, round 2 and 3 were close. If you're that confident in your wrestling, why not go for the takedown and secure those rounds? I think it's because he was starting to gas whereas Stipe looked to be only getting stronger as the fight went on.

So, it's been a year. I think Stipe's chin will be recharged and he'll be able to eat DC's shots again. He'll have the better cardio and I think he'll go back to those body shots earlier to deplete DC faster. His corner was also asking him to move his feet and throw more combos. Once he did, he started having more success. I think he'll do that earlier this time, too. Eventually, I think he's going to wear him down with that immigrant mentality and get the finish late again.
I love DC but I tend to share this opinion. I watched back Stipe-DC 2 and even though DC took round 2, Stipe actually landed quite a bit more than I remembered, as I thought DC had dominated that round but in reality he just edged it out. The commentary team was pretty biased as they're DC's guys (you could hear how disappointed Cruz was when DC lost) and spent the majority of the fight praising him. Round 3 Stipe actually won on the judges cards, and he was controlling round 4 so it would've been 2-2 going into round 5 if DC wasn't finished; in other words, a super close fight.

I do think DC was admiring his striking a little too much last time, he seemed to be a little overconfident because he KOd Stipe so quickly the first time and was trying to get that early KO again, at least that's how it seemed to me. But like you said, it's not just an easy switch to go with a wrestle focused gameplan, especially with his age, the miles on his body and his declining cardio.

If DC can somehow maintain his gas tank better than last time he has a chance, but if Stipe starts ripping him with body work from the get go it's going to be a tough night for DC.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think Stipe has already said he plans to keep fighting win or lose.
I believe there was some confusion because of this tweet below:

He obviously means that he would've been the one to make DC retire, but on first read myself and many others thought he meant he'd have retired himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->