GDT: UFC 252: Miocic vs. Cormier 3

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
DC gave his prime years to another sport but it also made him a super-elite wrestler when he did start with MMA. If he used those elite years to fight MMA it's not assured he ever becomes the guy he ended up. It not like he was playing badminton for 10 years.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
DC gave his prime years to another sport but it also made him a super-elite wrestler when he did start with MMA. If he used those elite years to fight MMA it's not assured he ever becomes the guy he ended up. It not like he was playing badminton for 10 years.

:laugh:

Just had this image of DC being a professional badminton player with his body type. Made me laugh.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

that’s fair but being able to pick up stand up the way he has this late is very impressive. We see good wrestlers kinda do nothing all the time. He honestly has become one of the best dirty boxers in the UFC. It’s a credit to his coaching but also his work ethic/IQ

I’d also say wrestling at the levels he wrestled at puts a tremendous amount of wear and tear on your body so he came into the sport with many miles. It started to pop up towards the end of his career with his back issues. So there’s a bit of a trade off- he acquired necessary skills but at the same time it came at the expense of a physical toll on his body

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
that’s fair but being able to pick up stand up the way he has this late is very impressive. We see good wrestlers kinda do nothing all the time. He honestly has become one of the best dirty boxers in the UFC. It’s a credit to his coaching but also his work ethic/IQ

I’d also say wrestling at the levels he wrestled at also puts a tremendous amount of wear and tear on your body so came into the sport with many miles. It started to pop up towards the end of his career with his back issues

Have to think the extra weight carried around for much of his career didn't help the back either.

But yeah, DC did a great job developing his stand-up.

Reactions: 1specter and CDJ

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Has there been an update on what O'Malley's ankle/leg injury was yet?

I didn't see anything yet.

I was reading a doctor's analysis of the fight and Sean seemed to have issues planting it right after an early calf kick. Those kicks sometimes result in the nerve shutting down, basically like your foot is asleep. Later he twists it by stepping awkwardly as he had limited range of motion.

This potential nerve issue is the same foot he injured before. On Saturday I thought he did it to himself but you can clearly see after the calf kick he can't plant on it.

Last edited:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Anik and Florian's podcast today was really good. Main points are - don't sleep on Vera. Guy is an animal. O'Malley needs to do some serious prep to deal with these leg injuries because every fighter he gets moving forward is going to be zeroing in on his legs. He's 6'0 and 135 lbs.

Also, any environment where Stipe can actually hear his coaches loud and clear is going to be a huge help for him. Stipe really listens to his coaches during fights and in between rounds whereas we already know from Mendez that DC (and Khabib also) sometimes ignore what their coaches are saying.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Anik and Florian's podcast today was really good. Main points are - don't sleep on Vera. Guy is an animal. O'Malley needs to do some serious prep to deal with these leg injuries because every fighter he gets moving forward is going to be zeroing in on his legs. He's 6'0 and 135 lbs.

Also, any environment where Stipe can actually hear his coaches loud and clear is going to be a huge help for him. Stipe really listens to his coaches during fights and in between rounds whereas we already know from Mendez that DC (and Khabib also) sometimes ignore what their coaches are saying.

But what do you take from him winning a fight over a guy because he got hurt? Nothing. Even if he caused the injury it doesn't matter as its not repeatable for future fights.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Vera is an animal not for the O’Malley fight, but for running through 5 guys before beating Song Yadong (who the UFC must be paying judges for because he lost his last two fights and ended up with a split draw and a split win)

like the song-Stamann fight wasn’t even close. Worst decision I’ve ever seen imo

But that’s besides the point- Vera is legit and he’s a guy I’ve been talking about before this last fight. He’s good everywhere and is an absolute dog. I don’t think the O’Malley win says a bunch other than it showed off his vicious ground and pound. He throws hellbows, O’Malley isn’t the first guy that’s felt them

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
It's been interesting watching hype jobs getting cleaned out this year. I predicted O'Malley would get destroyed, especially with the disrespect of Vera. It's fascinating watching these undefeated hype jobs have their Come To Jesus moments when they run into legit world class talent.

Add O'Malley to the pile with Shabazyan, Gregor Gillespie, Johnny Walker who had epic come to Jesus fights this year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's been interesting watching hype jobs getting cleaned out this year. I predicted O'Malley would get destroyed, especially with the disrespect of Vera. It's fascinating watching these undefeated hype jobs have their Come To Jesus moments when they run into legit world class talent.

Add O'Malley to the pile with Shabazyan, Gregor Gillespie, Johnny Walker who had epic come to Jesus fights this year.

Gillespie and Shabazyan were similar, for sure. Both got tough tests in the top 10 but were expected to win.. and got smashed.

O'Malley got injured. Predicting he would get "destroyed" and claiming it as correct based on what happened in that fight is a bit strange.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I have a feeling Gillespie will come back strong. Guy just got caught by a pretty good fighter. Shit Happens. Imo he Doesn’t have the gaping holes in his game that Walker does, doesn’t have the injury concerns O’Malley does, and has a much better gas tank that Shahbazyan does

plus I feel like his wrestling foundation is more conducive to having major success than anything the other guys have

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The problem with Gregor compared to those other guys is that he is already 33. O'Malley (25), Walker (28), Shahbazyan (22).

I agree his skill set is best suited to have success sooner than these other guys, but he is also running out of time faster than the rest. I'd still go with O'Malley or Shahbazyan to have the best careers and probably Walker to disappear the fastest. He lost to Krylov after getting his hype train derailed, too.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The problem with Gregor compared to those other guys is that he is already 33. O'Malley (25), Walker (28), Shahbazyan (22).

I agree his skill set is best suited to have success sooner than these other guys, but he is also running out of time faster than the rest. I'd still go with O'Malley or Shahbazyan to have the best careers and probably Walker to disappear the fastest. He lost to Krylov after getting his hype train derailed, too.

gillespie fights so infrequently too, I know he hasn’t really been training due to covid and him being in NYC

dude loves to fish more than I love anything on this planet

Shahbazyan probably has the best career when it’s all said and done. I feel like his issues are very fixable

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So I missed this but no fractures for O’Malley. They have to wait for swelling to subside to do MRI’s

So it’s not what he hurt last time like he thought it was, which makes me think this may have been a result of Vera’s kick after all. If that’s the case it’s awfully hard to qualify his win with anything

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I have a feeling Gillespie will come back strong. Guy just got caught by a pretty good fighter. Shit Happens. Imo he Doesn’t have the gaping holes in his game that Walker does, doesn’t have the injury concerns O’Malley does, and has a much better gas tank that Shahbazyan does

plus I feel like his wrestling foundation is more conducive to having major success than anything the other guys have

I agree, I've been waiting for him to come back already. Big ups to Lee on the head kick but I don't think there is a lack of talent or major flaw in Gregor that can't bring him a championship one day

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So I missed this but no fractures for O’Malley. They have to wait for swelling to subside to do MRI’s

So it’s not what he hurt last time like he thought it was, which makes me think this may have been a result of Vera’s kick after all. If that’s the case it’s awfully hard to qualify his win with anything

It's not hard to qualify his win for me. Winning by injuring opponents in this way is not repeatable for future fights and it's more just luck. It's not like Chris Weidman turned into a leg breaking machine after beating Anderson Silva the 2nd time.

It was a nice opportunity for Vera to cash a nice cheque over a hyped prospect on a big stage - that part is great for him. I'm not going to read much more into it than that. It says more about O'Malley than it does Vera.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's not hard to qualify his win for me. Winning by injuring opponents in this way is not repeatable for future fights and it's more just luck. It's not like Chris Weidman turned into a leg breaking machine after beating Anderson Silva the 2nd time.

It was a nice opportunity for Vera to cash a nice cheque over a hyped prospect on a big stage - that part is great for him. I'm not going to read much more into it than that. It says more about O'Malley than it does Vera.

True but I think it could be repeatable against O'Malley and that's not good for Suga. Vera did what he was supposed to do and won the fight. It's too bad we didn't get to see a bit more between them as the injury happened early on.

With the amount of pain O'Malley was in he has to have some extensive soft tissue damage. Tendon rupture possibly, he could still need surgery.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
True but I think it could be repeatable against O'Malley and that's not good for Suga. Vera did what he was supposed to do and won the fight. It's too bad we didn't get to see a bit more between them as the injury happened early on.

With the amount of pain O'Malley was in he has to have some extensive soft tissue damage. Tendon rupture possibly, he could still need surgery.

Yeah, like I said it shows more about O'Malley than anything. Might be prone to injuries and depending on the injuries you may have to question his toughness to fight through these things. Usually adrenaline can get you through many injuries, though with his game based so heavily on movement it definitely would limit him.

It will be interesting what the injury actually is. I think I said at the time it looked like a foot sprain - if so he'll get some pretty funky bruising but should be fine within a few weeks. Kind of scary when it happens though, feels like your foot has broken in half.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
O’Malley has no significant damage, just put out a vid kinda dancing in a weed robe lol

probs just an ankle sprain from when it rolled after the nerve got kicked

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
O’Malley has no significant damage, just put out a vid kinda dancing in a weed robe lol

probs just an ankle sprain from when it rolled after the nerve got kicked
I'm not surprised he lost feeling from the nerves, i got slashed there playing ball hockey once and couldn't feel anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad