GDT: UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cowboy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gaethje is more deserving than Conor, that is for sure.

Let them fight each other and figure it out if Conor actually wants to drop down to 155 again (which I anticipate he will, there are nothing but for sure ass kickings for him at 170 unless he fights Diaz at 170.)

Reactions: CDJ

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
On the ESPN post fight show, Helwani and Okamoto talked about Khabib possibly not fighting again until the fall after the Ferguson fight because he might prefer a long break after Ramadan. They also mentioned Usman having a cast on his hand after apparently suffering an injury in his last fight.

Conor has already said he wants back in soon so I doubt he's waiting until the fall or even the summer for Khabib to return assuming he beats Ferguson, which is no guarantee. Conor vs. Masvidal might be the fight that makes the most sense based on timing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think we need to pump the brakes a little on this talk of Gaethje being snubbed for a title shot

His last 3 opponents:

Cerrone (4 - 7 in his last 11 fights)

Barboza (1 - 4 in his last 5 fights)

Vick (0 - 4 in his last 4 fights)

And before that, he'd been knocked out in back to back fights by Poirier and Alvarez

He noticeably changed his style after getting knocked out a 2nd time

vick stinks but who has done that to barboza? Jamie Varner like a decade ago? It’s hard to get him out of there like that

and sure it’s easy to phrase it that way for cowboy but before the Gaethje fight he was coming off a competitive loss to the #1 contender (who is on a huge win streak) and had been on an impressive 3 fight win streak prior to that

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
On the ESPN post fight show, Helwani and Okamoto talked about Khabib possibly not fighting again until the fall after the Ferguson fight because he might prefer a long break after Ramadan. They also mentioned Usman having a cast on his hand after apparently suffering an injury in his last fight.

Conor has already said he wants back in soon so I doubt he's waiting until the fall or even the summer for Khabib to return assuming he beats Ferguson, which is no guarantee. Conor vs. Masvidal might be the fight that makes the most sense based on timing.

There is no way this fight will happen.

I'd love to see it, but Dana White is not going to feed his cash cow to Masvidal.

I think Gaethje sleeps Conor as well. That dude is a Savage.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Before the fight, I personally thought Gaethje would have been even easier than Cowboy because he so willingly eats punches and Cerrone is a well rounded fighter. Hard to gauge how Cerrone would have done had he not gotten his face broken 5 seconds into the fight by those shoulders, but I still think McGregor would have murked Gaethje just as easily as he did Cerrone. Gaethje just absorbs so much unnecessary damage.

that was true, not so sure it is anymore. He’s being way more judicious with his striking and isn’t leaving himself as open as he used to. He’s using his footwork more too imo

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wake me up when he's got a win over a top 3 ranked fighter

Likewise for Conor.....

who hasn’t won against any ranked fighter at 155 since 2016. I’m pretty sure Obama was in office....

He needs to get a win there first, Dana is making a joke of his most competitive division otherwise

also feeding him to Khabib might end his career. If he loses again he tucks his tail and goes home imo

Tyron Woodley was champ back in 2016, maybe he should get the next shot at Usman regardless of what happens. Same logic. Both lost and have been entirely inactive in the division since. The only difference is Dana and fans don’t like Tyron. Conor winning a fight against an old Cowboy- coming off 2 relatively recent knockouts btw- and having this fight at 170 should impact nothing at 155. If it does it’s pathetic and I will revert back to being a pirate on the open seas for streams because I refuse to validate their decision making

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Too soon for McGregor/Khabib II.

Do McGregor/Masvidal and/or McGregor/Diaz III before. I get wanting to strike while iron is hot but at least try to make this look like anything but a joke. The risk is there where if Conor lost to Masvidal or Diaz he doesn’t have actual standing for the Khabib fight, but oh well. That’s the sport.

I love Conor, but don’t hot shot that fight. If McGregor gets through Masvidal and Diaz then you’re set up for a big fight with Khabib around the new year.

nothing changes in a rematch imo. Khabib beats Conor again. If you hotshot it you can probably still do Conor/Nate III but he loses a lot of credibility.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think people have gone from underrating Masvidal/not knowing who he is to now overrating him. I think he'd be the favorite against Conor (never know for sure with the Conor fanbois), but it's not like it's an unwinnable fight for Conor.

If he wins, you can rather easily justify the Khabib rematch and it's bigger than ever or a title shot at 155 if Tony wins (you could even justify a title shot at 170, but I don't think Conor really wants anything to do with Usman).

If he loses, he can say he's not a true WW and move back down to 155. Pick up a win there against Poirier, Gaethje, etc. and he'd probably be the next in line for a title shot again.

Oh, and it would be a massive fight.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm hoping Connor makes it clear he's not waiting for Khabib ... and we get Connor/Masvidal or at the least Connor/Diaz 3 in the short term ..

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Likewise for Conor.....

who hasn’t won against any ranked fighter at 155 since 2016. I’m pretty sure Obama was in office....

He needs to get a win there first, Dana is making a joke of his most competitive division otherwise

also feeding him to Khabib might end his career. If he loses again he tucks his tail and goes home imo

Tyron Woodley was champ back in 2016, maybe he should get the next shot at Usman regardless of what happens. Same logic. Both lost and have been entirely inactive in the division since. The only difference is Dana and fans don’t like Tyron. Conor winning a fight against an old Cowboy- coming off 2 relatively recent knockouts btw- and having this fight at 170 should impact nothing at 155. If it does it’s pathetic and I will revert back to being a pirate on the open seas for streams because I refuse to validate their decision making

This was my thoughts as well, so thanks for posting!

Conor doesn't deserve a fight with Khabib, and the timing doesn't make sense either. He should at least fight one more person (and win) before that fight happens.

I noticed some people have said Diaz. I have absolutely no interest in seeing Diaz vs. McGregor 3. Also, could people actually spell his name correctly! It is Conor, not Connor!

Masvidal makes the most sense for his next opponent imo.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Conor trained for all that and didn't even take a punch. If they want to milk him for as much money as possible. They are going to schedule Conor Diaz 3 for 248. Then Conor/Khabib 2 in Dec. Book it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This was my thoughts as well, so thanks for posting!

Conor doesn't deserve a fight with Khabib, and the timing doesn't make sense either. He should at least fight one more person (and win) before that fight happens.

I noticed some people have said Diaz. I have absolutely no interest in seeing Diaz vs. McGregor 3. Also, could people actually spell his name correctly! It is Conor, not Connor!

Masvidal makes the most sense for his next opponent imo.
To the bold: I think you're in the minority on that one, though. I don't think it's next because people will always want to see that fight, so I think they save that for when he's about to hang them up. I expect them to strike while the iron is hot with both Conor and Masvidal.

To the underlined: Yes, please.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Likewise for Conor.....

Dana is doing what he needs to in order to maximize profits for the company he runs

You'd do the same thing if you were in his position, or you wouldn't be in his position for very long

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dana is doing what he needs to in order to maximize profits for the company he runs

You'd do the same thing if you were in his position, or you wouldn't be in his position for very long

if Conor fights khabib and loses he just killed the cash cow. Would be a much smarter thing to have him fight Khabib two or three fights from now. More money that way

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
if Conor fights khabib and loses he just killed the cash cow. Would be a much smarter thing to have him fight Khabib two or three fights from now. More money that way

If McGregor loses one or more of those fights they won't be able to put him in there against Khabib if he's still holding the belt

And if Khabib loses the belt before the rematch is made, what do you think that does to the cash cow?

McGregor isn't the most popular fighter in the history of MMA because fans think he's the best fighter in the world, so I really don't think another loss to the undefeated Khabib is going to lessen his star power

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I'm not a big Khabib fan, and I love McGregor as a fighter, but the rematch should never happen. It's just going to be the same as the first fight. I don't see how McGregor wins short of a left hook that catches Khabib. Even then, Khabib will engage the clinch if he gets caught until he recovers like he did vs Johnson. I hope Ferguson destroys him.

McGregor should fight Masvidal/Gaethje/Diaz/or possibly Wonderboy next, but I prefer Masvidal.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not a big Khabib fan, and I love McGregor as a fighter, but the rematch should never happen. It's just going to be the same as the first fight. I don't see how McGregor wins short of a left hook that catches Khabib. Even then, Khabib will engage the clinch if he gets caught until he recovers like he did vs Johnson. I hope Ferguson destroys him.

McGregor should fight Masvidal/Gaethje/Diaz/or possibly Wonderboy next, but I prefer Masvidal.

That would be kind of cool actually. Although Wonderboy is so nice, it would be a strange buildup.

Reactions: h2

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
I know Conor gets a different treatment and stuff based on the eyes he brings to the sport but I think he should have to commit to a weight class at least for now.
If his next fight is against a Diaz or Masvidal then it shouldn't affect his ranking at 155 (positively or negatively).
If it's against a Gaethje or Khabib then it shouldn't affect his 170.

It's not like he's champ-champ anymore those are the only times someone should be allowed to go back and forth between divisions.

Reactions: I am not exposed

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Pretty convenient for fans, and media, and the UFC to be glossing over the RECENT, VISIBLE, damage that Cerrone accumulated in the Ferguson and Gaethje fights.

I don't mean to be hyperbolic, but this PPV and the resulting shift in public opinion is a bigger sham to me than when they moved the event for Jones' failed test.

Hats off to McGregor for proving he can put together a good camp, and show up. I'm looking forward to his next fight for sure. Wiping the dust off Ferguson and Gaethje's recent work though, there's no magic or history in that. It's closer to nepotism.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty convenient for fans, and media, and the UFC to be glossing over the RECENT, VISIBLE, damage that Cerrone accumulated in the Ferguson and Gaethje fights.

I don't mean to be hyperbolic, but this PPV and the resulting shift in public opinion is a bigger sham to me than when they moved the event for Jones' failed test.

Hats off to McGregor for proving he can put together a good camp, and show up. I'm looking forward to his next fight for sure. Wiping the dust off Ferguson and Gaethje's recent work though, there's no magic or history in that. It's closer to nepotism.

But this is what the public does and it's hard to control. Lots of people said "Conor sucks" after he lost to Khabib, when in reality Conor is a great fighter who lost to an even better one. Now people say "Conor is back" after he beats a very good (but not elite) guy in Cerrone.

So yeah, it's all overreaction. Conor lost to the guy he was supposed to lose to and then beat the guy he was supposed to beat.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
For all we know, Khabib retires after fighting Tony.

I think I saw a recent interview for where he wants to fight two more years.

I was able to watch the Connor fight again and in reference to Cowboy just taking repeated shoulder hits. It looks like he absorbs a decent amount of force from Connor's knee, it's not straight on but it appears he's trying to recover a bit in the clinch. He then gets his nose busted and it's pretty much all she wrote. We were a couple of inches from a Jorge replay.

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know Conor gets a different treatment and stuff based on the eyes he brings to the sport but I think he should have to commit to a weight class at least for now.
If his next fight is against a Diaz or Masvidal then it shouldn't affect his ranking at 155 (positively or negatively).
If it's against a Gaethje or Khabib then it shouldn't affect his 170.

It's not like he's champ-champ anymore those are the only times someone should be allowed to go back and forth between divisions.

I agree with what you are saying in theory, but I am also completely against needless weight cuts so it's a tough one.

Like in terms of Conor/Cerrone, that was two mainly 155lb guys who made the smart choice for their health and didn't do a needless weight cut. The issue is that it blurs the lines with rankings.

I'm not really sure what the answer is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad