Heavyweight bout: Aleksei Oleinik vs. Maurice Greene
Women's Strawweight bout: Cláudia Gadelha vs. Alexa Grasso
Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN, TSN 5)

Women's Flyweight bout: Roxanne Modafferi vs. Maycee Barber
Featherweight bout: Andre Fili vs. Sodiq Yusuff
Lightweight bout: Drew Dober vs. Nasrat Haqparast
Featherweight bout: Chas Skelly vs. Grant Dawson

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, UFC Fight Pass)

Light Heavyweight bout: Aleksa Camur vs. Justin Ledet
Flyweight bout: Tim Elliott vs. Askar Askarov
Bantamweight bout: Brian Kelleher vs. Ode Osbourne
Women's Flyweight bout: Sabina Mazo vs. JJ Aldrich​

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No offense to Cerrone but this seems like the perfect match up for Conor in his return. He's at his best at the beginning of fights and everyone knows he wants to strike. Cerrone is often a slow starter, doesn't mind standing right in front of his opponent and striking, and can be flat-footed at times. Cerrone obviously has a chance to win, especially at 170 lbs, because he's also a good striker and better grappler but I'm thinking he'll stand right in front of Conor and get finished early on. It'd be so much more interesting if he fights smart and actually tries taking Conor down.

They once again didn't bother stacking a Conor card because they know they're going to sell regardless. Gadelha/Grasso and Pettis/Ferreira are interesting fights. I'm looking forward to the prelims a lot more than the rest of the main card though. Smart decision putting three of their best prospects (Barber, Yusuff, and Haqparast) on ESPN prior to a Conor card. Barber is rightfully a massive favourite and should win rather easily but the other two are up against solid veterans. Dawson is another guy off the contender series they seem to like.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It’s absolutely a good matchup for Conor, probably his best possible matchup in the division. I wish he would’ve fought Gaethje but hell I wish everybody would fight Gaethje every night. His fights are the GOAT

That said Vegas is really making Cerrone tempting. I think if he survives the first 2 rounds he will win. Easier said than done though, Conor had a death touch when he was less jacked up. Can’t see him hitting any less hard at a shredded 170 lol

Pettis/Ferreira is sweet, Ferreira is underrated. Fili/Yusuff too. Fili is starting to come along, he’s looked good his last few times out. Maycee is a future star for them, hopefully she gets a quick one and continues to ascend. Askren has been coaching her wrestling

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No offense to Cerrone but this seems like the perfect match up for Conor in his return. He's at his best at the beginning of fights and everyone knows he wants to strike. Cerrone is often a slow starter, doesn't mind standing right in front of his opponent and striking, and can be flat-footed at times. Cerrone obviously has a chance to win, especially at 170 lbs, because he's also a good striker and better grappler but I'm thinking he'll stand right in front of Conor and get finished early on. It'd be so much more interesting if he fights smart and actually tries taking Conor down.

They once again didn't bother stacking a Conor card because they know they're going to sell regardless. Gadelha/Grasso and Pettis/Ferreira are interesting fights. I'm looking forward to the prelims a lot more than the rest of the main card though. Smart decision putting three of their best prospects (Barber, Yusuff, and Haqparast) on ESPN prior to a Conor card. Barber is rightfully a massive favourite and should win rather easily but the other two are up against solid veterans. Dawson is another guy off the contender series they seem to like.

Agree with everything here, I have nothing else to even really add. Looking forward to Conor being back.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Love him or hate him, it's hard not to get excited for Conor fights. I'm trying not to though, because I think it is going to be disappointing. As @Avs_19 said, Cowboy has the skills to be a problem for Conor, but he's probably going to "give the fans what they want" and stand with Conor. If he does, I imagine it will look a lot like the Conor-Nate fights except Cowboy doesn't have the insane chin of Nate so he'll get stopped before he has the chance to make it a fight like Nate did.

I forget who was making this point, but it was a valid IMO. There is a clear difference in motivation for this fight, too. Conor at least appears to be motivated to prove everyone wrong again and setup a few more big paydays with Masvidal, Khabib, etc. For Cowboy, he always has the "I just want to have fun" attitude, but getting this fight was the goal. Win or lose, he's already won and it likely won't ever get any bigger than this for him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
As for the rest of the card, yeah, it's pretty bad. They threw in Holly and Pettis to fake try, but it's pretty easy to see through. They are selling Conor and only Conor with a few other fights thrown in for free.

They did nail the prelims, though. Not sure we'd still get all of these, but O'Malley was originally scheduled to be on this card, too.

Reactions: Avs_19

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
As for the rest of the card, yeah, it's pretty bad. They threw in Holly and Pettis to fake try, but it's pretty easy to see through. They are selling Conor and only Conor with a few other fights thrown in for free.

They did nail the prelims, though. Not sure we'd still get all of these, but O'Malley was originally scheduled to be on this card, too.

If I'm not mistaken, this card was just supposed to be a Fight Night, but that changed once the main event was added

It's not like they had McGregor vs Cerrone already in place, and then filled out the rest of the card with mediocre fights

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, this card was just supposed to be a Fight Night, but that changed once the main event was added

It's not like they had McGregor vs Cerrone already in place, and then filled out the rest of the card with mediocre fights

That's actually not true. Conor was stating way back in October that his "comeback fight" was scheduled for January 18th, the location just hadn't been decided/announced. They started adding fights for UFC 246 in November and then announced Conor/Cowboy later in the month. This was always going to be a PPV headlined by Conor/Cowboy, they just decided not to surround it with other big names which is really not a surprise at all.

As for the fight, Cowboy has the tools to win this fight, but he's unlikely to use them. Cowboy is a notoriously slow fighter that likes to "bang", perfect recipe for Conor who typically starts off strong. I predict a Conor TKO with Cowboy quipping after the fight, "That was fun".

Reactions: I am not exposed

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That's actually not true. Conor was stating way back in October that his "comeback fight" was scheduled for January 18th, the location just hadn't been decided/announced. They started adding fights for UFC 246 in November and then announced Conor/Cowboy later in the month. This was always going to be a PPV headlined by Conor/Cowboy, they just decided not to surround it with other big names which is really not a surprise at all.

As for the fight, Cowboy has the tools to win this fight, but he's unlikely to use them. Cowboy is a notoriously slow fighter that likes to "bang", perfect recipe for Conor who typically starts off strong. I predict a Conor TKO with Cowboy quipping after the fight, "That was fun".

UFC 246 wasn't a PPV event until after the McGregor fight was announced on Nov. 28th

It was originally just a regular ol' free Fight Night

We talk about it here: MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
UFC 246 wasn't a PPV event until after the McGregor fight was announced on Nov. 28th

It was originally just a regular ol' free Fight Night

Oh really?

Maycee Barber vs. Roxanne Modafferi in the works for UFC 246 on Jan. 18

"The women’s flyweight bout will take place at UFC 246, according to two people familiar with the booking but not authorized to discuss it publicly. Both Barber (8-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Modafferi (23-16 MMA, 2-4 UFC) have verbally agreed for the event slated for Jan. 18."

That article was published November 13th.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Oh really?

Maycee Barber vs. Roxanne Modafferi in the works for UFC 246 on Jan. 18

"The women’s flyweight bout will take place at UFC 246, according to two people familiar with the booking but not authorized to discuss it publicly. Both Barber (8-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Modafferi (23-16 MMA, 2-4 UFC) have verbally agreed for the event slated for Jan. 18."

That article was published November 13th.

Is it possible the article could've been edited after the fact?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Considering the last paragraph of the article is this, not likely.

“UFC 246 doesn’t have a location but will air on pay-per-view following prelims likely on ESPN and ESPN+/UFC Fight Pass.”

It's possible I'm wrong, I'm just going off of what was posted on Wikipedia at the time

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It’s absolutely a good matchup for Conor, probably his best possible matchup in the division. I wish he would’ve fought Gaethje but hell I wish everybody would fight Gaethje every night. His fights are the GOAT

That said Vegas is really making Cerrone tempting. I think if he survives the first 2 rounds he will win. Easier said than done though, Conor had a death touch when he was less jacked up. Can’t see him hitting any less hard at a shredded 170 lol

Pettis/Ferreira is sweet, Ferreira is underrated. Fili/Yusuff too. Fili is starting to come along, he’s looked good his last few times out. Maycee is a future star for them, hopefully she gets a quick one and continues to ascend. Askren has been coaching her wrestling

I think Gaethje is an easier fight for McGregor than Cerrone because he's so readily available to be hit. Sure he can eat a lot of shots, but I think it wouldn't go past the first round if they were to fight.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Gaethje is an easier fight for McGregor than Cerrone because he's so readily available to be hit. Sure he can eat a lot of shots, but I think it wouldn't go past the first round if they were to fight.

He’s been a little more defensive since he last got finished....he’s a lot more calculating and isn’t leaving himself as vulnerable. He’s been a world beater lately. If he was the easier fight I think Conor would have taken it, he may just have his eyes set on Masvidal next though. Idk what to think of him at this point

I just want to see Gaethje vs Khabib. We don’t really ever see it but Gaethje is apparently an incredible wrestler

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He’s been a little more defensive since he last got finished....he’s a lot more calculating and isn’t leaving himself as vulnerable. He’s been a world beater lately. If he was the easier fight I think Conor would have taken it, he may just have his eyes set on Masvidal next though. Idk what to think of him at this point

I just want to see Gaethje vs Khabib. We don’t really ever see it but Gaethje is apparently an incredible wrestler

He's a great wrestler as that's his actual base, but god knows why he never bothers with it? It's crazy. He stands and trades when he should be taking guys down. Far less damage for him if he would, but he stands. lol

Reactions: CDJ

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I think you're wrong. Very wrong. Gaethje is a far more dangerous match up for Conor than Cowboy. Cowboy is tailor made for Conor. Conor needs a victory, and Cowboy is the perfect opponent.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think Cowboy should try and be kick heavy at Conors legs, could be a key to success

member 51464

I'll be traveling and will be missing this one live, unfortunately. Hopefully it's good enough to be worth a later watch.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Gaethje is a tougher matchup for Conor than Cowboy. Nothing to do with style, he's just a better fighter. Yeah he's hittable, but so is Cerrone.

A prime or even semi-prime Conor should beat either though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Gaethje is a tougher matchup for Conor than Cowboy because of his chin, power, and leg kicks. Both guys are hittable which is not good against Conor, but Gaethje has a better chance of being able to absorb a shot or 2 and drag Conor into the later rounds where his own power and leg kicks could start to break Conor. I think if Cowboy gets hit somewhat clean, he's going to get KOed. Since Cowboy probably won't take him down and use his BJJ, he basically has to avoid getting hit and find a way to land a head kick. He's capable I guess, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->