GDT: UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cowboy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If you were Ferguson, would you agree to an immediate rematch with Khabib? Or would you insist on the big payday fight with McGregor?
It wouldn't be entirely up to Tony. It's up to the UFC. In this scenario, if it is a bad stoppage and given that Khabib was undefeated, there could be enough public pressure to force the UFC to give Khabib an immediate rematch.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Ferguson wins there's almost no chance they give Khabib the rematch with Conor waiting around. The first chance they can give Conor a decent style matchup at 155/170 for a style I think they take it. Ferguson or Masvidal winning would be ideal for Conor.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If Ferguson wins there's almost no chance they give Khabib the rematch with Conor waiting around. The first chance they can give Conor a decent style matchup at 155/170 for a style I think they take it. Ferguson or Masvidal winning would be ideal for Conor.
I think it depends on how the fight is going and/or how it ends. Under most circumstances, I agree, they will try to give Conor the winner.

If it's a one-sided ass whopping that has a bad ending a la Masvidal-Nate, I think they move on. If Tony just flat out wins, I think they move on. If either of the guys are injured, I think they move on.

But if it is an extremely close back-and-forth fight like Usman-Covington that ends up getting stopped by a bad doctor stoppage, I think 1) there could be enough pressure to do a rematch and 2) a rematch could be a massive fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think it depends on how the fight is going and/or how it ends. Under most circumstances, I agree, they will try to give Conor the winner.

If it's a one-sided ass whopping that has a bad ending a la Masvidal-Nate, I think they move on. If Tony just flat out wins, I think they move on. If either of the guys are injured, I think they move on.

But if it is an extremely close back-and-forth fight like Usman-Covington that ends up getting stopped by a bad doctor stoppage, I think 1) there could be enough pressure to do a rematch and 2) a rematch could be a massive fight.

Eh, I don't know about "massive".. especially compared to a Conor fight. They would probably just do Conor/Ferguson in July/August then Khabib v winner at the end of the year. Khabib is never in a rush to fight so that timeline likely works better for him anyway.

Reactions: CDJ

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It wouldn't be entirely up to Tony. It's up to the UFC. In this scenario, if it is a bad stoppage and given that Khabib was undefeated, there could be enough public pressure to force the UFC to give Khabib an immediate rematch.

I've heard Dana say "he's the champ, and that's the fight he wants" when asked about specific match-ups

I believe he has said that's the reason for the Adesanya vs Romero fight, as well as the Cejudo vs Aldo bout

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Eh, I don't know about "massive".. especially compared to a Conor fight. They would probably just do Conor/Ferguson in July/August then Khabib v winner at the end of the year. Khabib is never in a rush to fight so that timeline likely works better for him anyway.
Tony isn't exactly Mr. Active either, but yeah, I think under those circumstances a rematch would be pretty big. Not as big as a Conor fight, but pretty big. I think the fight in April is going to be big once people start focusing on it and hyping it up. Then add in more people becoming more familiar with Tony and under this hypothetical some controversy, it would only get bigger.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I've heard Dana say "he's the champ, and that's the fight he wants" when asked about specific match-ups

I believe he has said that's the reason for the Adesanya vs Romero fight, as well as the Cejudo vs Aldo bout
Dana says a lot of things.

With Stylebender-Romero, there's really not anyone else at the moment so if that's what Stylebender wants, sure, why not? Dana is willing to go along with it.

With Cejudo-Aldo, I think Dana wants that because they are targeting it for the PPV in Brazil. Aldo fighting for a title is an easy way to sell the place out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad