UFC 244: Diaz vs Masvidal

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought Masvidal looked very good through 3 rounds. I think the fight was shaping up where Nate's cardio would take over but he would probably end up losing on the scorecards because of those first three rounds anyway. Masvidal earned the win though and I might be in the minority but I don't need to see a rematch. Give Masvidal his title shot and Diaz can heal up.

Till looked better than I thought, but I thought Gastelum just did a poor job in general. Not exactly sure what his gameplan was but I don't really know where he goes from here.

Thompson looked great. Luque is a tough guy but Thompson picked him apart in there. Great to see.

I thought Derrick Lewis did his thing, but Ivanov showed he's going to stick around as a ranked HW for awhile. Impressed with his toughness.

I think I commented on the other fights earlier, but once you saw the size difference between Lee/Gillespie it looked like it might be a rough one for Gregor. That KO is one of the best of the year, just ridiculous.

Some great performances on the prelims too.

member 51464

Good summary, m9.

That definitely was the worst Gastelum has looked in a while. I wonder if it wasn't just a matter of him looking past Till and thinking about a rematch already or something. He just....wasn't really doing anything.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I just said people that count out Diaz don’t understand fighting. You then replied with weird MMA math to further justify your OP. I mean, you basically just confirmed everything with that response, no need to get personal.
It wasn’t even a close fight though dude. Saying Diaz didn’t have a realistic path to victory after watching 3 rounds of a beating like that is a reasonable position to take. My point is that Masvidal is at greater level than anyone Nate has dragged deep into fights, which you missed.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Good summary, m9.

That definitely was the worst Gastelum has looked in a while. I wonder if it wasn't just a matter of him looking past Till and thinking about a rematch already or something. He just....wasn't really doing anything.

I know he lost to Adesanya, but I thought he looked great in that fight. That version of Gastelum looks like a guy who can box, wrestle, and use his range correctly. He did none of those things tonight.

Maybe I'm too hard on him, but he's frustrating because he is just as good as anyone at the top of 170lbs. But he can't fight there because he can't make weight and then he looks like this at 185lbs.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Happy for Kevin Lee, hes had a tough stretch. He comes across as pretty insightful guy even if he is overly cocky at times. Seems like Tristar is doing him well

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nate Diaz has been in the championship rounds twice in his career. The first time he lost every round to Ben Henderson. The second time he lost Round 4 to Conor who isn't exactly known for his gas tank.

So yeah, maybe he would have won those last two rounds but I don't think it was likely he got a finish.

Reactions: dss97

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If Masvidal's next fight isn't for the championship, he needs to fire his agent

Assuming Usman wins and faces Masvidal, you can then book Woodley against Covington

Thompson vs Maia would be a great striker vs grappler battle

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Masvidal's next fight isn't for the championship, he needs to fire his agent

Assuming Usman wins and faces Masvidal, you can then book Woodley against Covington

Thompson vs Maia would be a great striker vs grappler battle

I want Masvidal to get a title shot too, but if he took the pay day for another fight vs Diaz that he would be the heavy favorite for I'd get it too.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
It wasn’t even a close fight though dude. Saying Diaz didn’t have a realistic path to victory after watching 3 rounds of a beating like that is a reasonable position to take. My point is that Masvidal is at greater level than anyone Nate has dragged deep into fights, which you missed.

Again, I don't think you understand mixed martial arts. Diaz is a Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighter, there's always a path to victory when one fighter has a clear advantage over the other in a specific category. Masvidal was starting to gas after throwing everything at Diaz for three rounds. He had a 3-0 lead going into round 4, but he was starting to fade. It's unknown what could have happened in those championship rounds, but hats off to Masvidal for his performance. It's just a shame the doctor stopped it when he did because I felt like Diaz was getting to something as discussed earlier.

I disagree completely with your last point. Prime McGregor is a decent drag into the deep end of a fight (and as a big McGregor fan, I don't think Connor won the rematch)

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It was nowhere near FOTY through 3 rounds.. it was an okay fight but nothing special.
I'm fairly certain we would've gotten that if it went the full length. Hope they run it back

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Again, I don't think you understand mixed martial arts. Diaz is a Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighter, there's always a path to victory when one fighter has a clear advantage over the other in a specific category. Masvidal was starting to gas after throwing everything at Diaz for three rounds. He had a 3-0 lead going into round 4, but he was starting to fade. It's unknown what could have happened in those championship rounds, but hats off to Masvidal for his performance. It's just a shame the doctor stopped it when he did because I felt like Diaz was getting to something as discussed earlier.

I disagree completely with your last point. Prime McGregor is a decent drag into the deep end of a fight (and as a big McGregor fan, I don't think Connor won the rematch)

You keep saying this but Masvidal hasn’t been finished in a decade. It wasnt going to happen. Diaz was dominated and took heavy damage for every second of that fight. There was not a single minute he won

And I get it, anything can happen- its just wildly unlikely when you take that much damage

Reactions: m9

h2

Mar 26, 2002
You keep saying this but Masvidal hasn’t been finished in a decade. It wasnt going to happen. Diaz was dominated and took heavy damage for every second of that fight. There was not a single minute he won

And I get it, anything can happen- its just wildly unlikely when you take that much damage

..and that's why I keep saying it. You don't get it either. There's no absolutes in fighting.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Masvidal was able to stay alive on the ground with Maia - I think he'd be okay with Nate. Yeah anything can happen but there was a 90% chance that Nate was going to lose that fight going into Round 4.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dana press conference was interesting. Basically said Masvidal in line to get the next title shot and that Nate will be out awhile. Khabib/Ferguson and Israel/Romero in early 2020.

Also some funny rips on Oscar De La Hoya.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Masvidal was able to stay alive on the ground with Maia - I think he'd be okay with Nate. Yeah anything can happen but there was a 90% chance that Nate was going to lose that fight going into Round 4.

Masvidal still lost that fight though against Maia who has a questionable gas tank when things go beyond the first round.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
No need for an immediate rematch Masvidal won every second of that fight. Should definitely get the next crack at the title. Would love to see him take out Usman or Colby can't stand those two.

Think Gastelum overlooked Till, everything leading up to the fight was him saying how Till was just a stepping stone and he was better in every aspect. That coupled with the whole weigh-in thing seems he wasn't taking it seriously.
Glad Till won

Reactions: I am not exposed

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Shame about the stoppage. Wanted to see Diaz cop a beating for another 10 minutes. Masvidal is a bad dude.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Anyone that was saying Diaz had no scenario to win doesn’t understand fighting. Diaz literally does this every fight.

He gets beaten up like that every fight? I doubt that very much. Never seen Diaz fight this lopsided.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
..and that's why I keep saying it. You don't get it either. There's no absolutes in fighting.

You’re upset your guy got SMOKED, I get it. He didn’t win a second of the fight. Least competitive fight on the card. At least the first round knockouts didn’t get dominated for 15 minutes. I hate to break it to you- he wasn’t finishing Masvidal. Guy hasn’t been finished in 10 years, Nate is a concussed bloody pulp and you’re sitting here being like “well there was a 0.00000000001% he catches him in a triangle!!!!!1!1!1!1!11one!!!!”

No shit anything can happen, I could be diagnosed with the bubonic plague tomorrow but guess what? Very f***ing unlikely

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Nate doesn’t have knockout power and the only time Masvidal would go to the ground with him is when he knew he had him hurt bad. I’d take It a step farther and say 99%

It was a demolition.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad