UFC 244: Diaz vs Masvidal

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Apparently the two will headline the Nov 2nd event at MSG. Adding this fight makes that card one of the most exciting of the year for me.

Diaz vs Masvidal
Gastelum vs Till
Lewis vs Ivanov
Anderson vs Walker

Those all have the potential to be very exciting fights with high likelyhood of finishes. Only 7 boughts lined up for this card theres a chance we also see some exciting pairings on the undercard however that main card is absolutely stacked. Probably the most exciting main card that doesnt have a title on the line that I can remember. What do you guys think about it?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Apparently the two will headline the Nov 2nd event at MSG. Adding this fight makes that card one of the most exciting of the year for me.

Diaz vs Masvidal
Gastelum vs Till
Lewis vs Ivanov
Anderson vs Walker

Those all have the potential to be very exciting fights with high likelyhood of finishes. Only 7 boughts lined up for this card theres a chance we also see some exciting pairings on the undercard however that main card is absolutely stacked. Probably the most exciting main card that doesnt have a title on the line that I can remember. What do you guys think about it?
It's not as good as UFC 241 for me, but it's damn good. I wouldn't be surprised if another good fight was added, either. MSG is already a draw for fighters, but to get on a card that will probably do as well as Nate-Masvidal most likely will would be attractive.

I hope it does really well so the UFC realizes we don't need a title fight on every PPV.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It's not as good as UFC 241 for me, but it's damn good. I wouldn't be surprised if another good fight was added, either. MSG is already a draw for fighters, but to get on a card that will probably do as well as Nate-Masvidal most likely will would be attractive.

I hope it does really well so the UFC realizes we don't need a title fight on every PPV.

In my opinion, I dont think titles are as important as the UFC thinks they are. Theres a ton of guys that arent champs and probably wont be champs but they are exciting fighters that have the potential to be booked for great matchups. UFC under utilizes these type of fights and are too busy worrying about who the next champ or mega star will be. I'm on board with you on hoping this card kills it so we get these stacked cards that arent all about the title picture.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Excited to see Gregor back in there. Is still a few fights away but is one of the few guys that could make a Khabib fight interesting.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Kevin Lee vs. Gregor Gillespie targeted for UFC 244 in New York

Gillespie vs Lee added to the card. Should be a very good fight, I'm expecting a much better Kevin Lee this time around as he finally has a new team after his previous coach committed suicide a couple of years ago.
I can't wait for this fight, these guys have everything going for them. Gillespie is excellent and this is a big name he's fighting and Lee has potential and could have it realized under his new camp

Reactions: vladdy16

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Finally a good test for Gregor. I think/hope he has what it takes to beat Lee. Lee's certainly no punk, but I feel like we have been waiting for him to 'put it together' for a while now.

I think this fight bumps Anderson-Walker to the featured prelim. That's insane.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Finally a good test for Gregor. I think/hope he has what it takes to beat Lee. Lee's certainly no punk, but I feel like we have been waiting for him to 'put it together' for a while now.

I think this fight bumps Anderson-Walker to the featured prelim. That's insane.

Yeah, they released the bout order over the weekend and Anderson/Walker is the featured prelim. Stacked card.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, they released the bout order over the weekend and Anderson/Walker is the featured prelim. Stacked card.
Now the UFC's website says Lee-Gregor is on the prelims (and not even the featured prelim) and Walker-Anderson is on the main card.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Great card from top to bottom, I don't much care about the main event actually but it's in part due to the cringeworthy buildup. This BMF talk along with Masvidal selling out more and more has kind of cheapened it for me, but oh well, good for them. I guess I'd rather see those two making the big bucks over someone like McGregor, but still...

I would take Lee/Gillespie over the Ivanov/Lewis fight easily on the main card (or Walker vs Anderson for that matter), but that's no surprise. The lighter guys usually get the shaft in that regard. But with the Luque/Thompson fight up there as well, the undercard is stacked no matter what. Even fights like Dawodu vs Arce and Burgos vs Amirkhani have great potential, so this should be a fun one.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Great card from top to bottom, I don't much care about the main event actually but it's in part due to the cringeworthy buildup. This BMF talk along with Masvidal selling out more and more has kind of cheapened it for me, but oh well, good for them. I guess I'd rather see those two making the big bucks over someone like McGregor, but still...

I would take Lee/Gillespie over the Ivanov/Lewis fight easily on the main card (or Walker vs Anderson for that matter), but that's no surprise. The lighter guys usually get the shaft in that regard. But with the Luque/Thompson fight up there as well, the undercard is stacked no matter what. Even fights like Dawodu vs Arce and Burgos vs Amirkhani have great potential, so this should be a fun one.
Dana messed up with the BMF belt thing, IMO. Part of Nate's charm is that it is always the Diaz's vs. everybody. Now that Dana's going along with what Nate wants, it kind of negates that and just turned it into a gimmick.

Still, I like both guys, it's a great fight, and I can't imagine it not delivering.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
UFC welterweight fighter Nate Diaz says he will not be fighting at UFC 244 after he says he's been told he tested positive with "elevated" levels" of an unknown substance.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't see Diaz as a PED cheat. Seems very odd that he'd piss hot like this. If anything, I think it's a stunner that he didn't trip for weed and got pinched for roids. Sucks too because that was a fight I think most fans were really looking forward to watching.

Reactions: m9 and 1specter

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
According to ESPN, Nate has not been suspended. The fight could still happen as long as Nate doesn't protest. My guess is that the UFC and USADA make a very emphatic statement to appease Nate and get him to still fight.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Maybe I'm naive but I actually kinda believe Nate didn't take anything. The fact that he came forward instead of disclosing it until after the fight and is potentially passing up the biggest payday of his career outside of the Conor fights shows to me that he does care about his integrity there. Or I'm just a sucker who desperately wants to see this fight :dunno:

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
According to ESPN, Nate has not been suspended. The fight could still happen as long as Nate doesn't protest. My guess is that the UFC and USADA make a very emphatic statement to appease Nate and get him to still fight.

Yeah, he hasn't gotten his penalty yet. Just a notification that he pissed hot. This happens all the time, which is why you see Jones fight DC and then after the fight it's announced he flunked a test and they changed the result to a NC. The UFC wants it that way so the fight can continue, but Diaz is opting out because he knows they only care about the fight and whether it goes off. He's not going to give them their payday and eat the shit sandwich afterwards like a good company employee. And good for him.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Maybe I'm naive but I actually kinda believe Nate didn't take anything. The fact that he came forward instead of disclosing it until after the fight and is potentially passing up the biggest payday of his career outside of the Conor fights shows to me that he does care about his integrity there. Or I'm just a sucker who desperately wants to see this fight :dunno:
"Everybody's on steroids.'
- Some guy

Just kidding, I don't think Nate is on anything either. I think most people don't.

Yeah, he hasn't gotten his penalty yet. Just a notification that he pissed hot. This happens all the time, which is why you see Jones fight DC and then after the fight it's announced he flunked a test and they changed the result to a NC. The UFC wants it that way so the fight can continue, but Diaz is opting out because he knows they only care about the fight and whether it goes off. He's not going to give them their payday and eat the **** sandwich afterwards like a good company employee. And good for him.
Or it turns into another Jon Jones-picogram situation. Granted they had to move the event to California, but that was because of the NSAC, not the UFC or USADA. Who knows what the NYSAC will do, but from what I read so far, it seems like it will be up to Nate whether he wants to fight or take a stand. Like I said, I think the UFC/USADA will back up Nate

The whole USADA thing is so slimey. They will make up whatever excuse they have to to try and keep this fight. It's too big and will make too much money.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think USADA is slimy, I just think they haven't tuned the system properly yet. It's crazy that a 4 billion dollar organization would sit around and let fights get ruined over nothing but for whatever reason they are slow to react on this one. Maybe it's complacency with the ESPN contract combined with them liking this additional power over their fighters but it's a bad look for everyone involved.

I know the UFC is already working on it, but they need to get on it quick. This should have been fixed after Jones/Gus had to be moved because of the same thing.

I'm all for people hating Jon Jones because he's a dick or even Nate Diaz because of his lack of commitment or whatever, but for every one headliner who has gotten f***ed by the UFC/USADA and have the cash flow to cover it there are multiple prelim card fighters who couldn't support their family for months or even years for the exact same thing. Get it fixed.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Weird situation. No one else is talking so it's hard to tell if this is Diaz making a big issue out of something minor or more than that. The only thing I care about is this fight happening so do whatever you need to do. Publicly exonerate Diaz, do a shady cover up, etc. Whatever it takes.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think USADA is slimy, I just think they haven't tuned the system properly yet. It's crazy that a 4 billion dollar organization would sit around and let fights get ruined over nothing but for whatever reason they are slow to react on this one. Maybe it's complacency with the ESPN contract combined with them liking this additional power over their fighters but it's a bad look for everyone involved.

I know the UFC is already working on it, but they need to get on it quick. This should have been fixed after Jones/Gus had to be moved because of the same thing.

I'm all for people hating Jon Jones because he's a dick or even Nate Diaz because of his lack of commitment or whatever, but for every one headliner who has gotten ****ed by the UFC/USADA and have the cash flow to cover it there are multiple prelim card fighters who couldn't support their family for months or even years for the exact same thing. Get it fixed.
I don't know that it is USADA itself, but the whole situation is absolutely slimy. They aren't coming up with the picogram/pulsing effect for anyone but Jon Jones. Brock Lesnar hasn't been off steroids since he was in JR High School, but he was able to compete at UFC 200. I know you know all the examples, so I'll stop there, but if you make enough money for the UFC, they will bend the science to fit whatever story to let you fight. Like you said, if you're a prelim fighter, though, they (UFC/USADA/athletic commissions/whoever) don't give a f*** and you're suspended for 2+ years. Changing the rules and punishments based on how much money you bring in is the definition of being slimy.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad