UFC 244: Diaz vs Masvidal

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He gets beaten up like that every fight? I doubt that very much. Never seen Diaz fight this lopsided.

My favorite are the Diaz fanboys saying this was his strategy

If your strategy is to get beat like a rented mule you might want to rethink things.

I get it, he’s come back before against inferior fighters who weren’t completely nullifying everything he did. Last night was VERY different. He was getting bombed on and he had zero answer for it. Nate himself even said he wasn’t able to do all the running he usually does during fight camp. He feels his cardio was compromised to the point where he said he took the first 3 rounds off. I think he was simply outclassed myself but that’s just my opinion. This was unlike any prior Diaz fight. It simply wasn’t competitive, which speaks volumes about the improvement Masvidal has shown because Diaz is still a really good fighter

Also there’s talk about Masvidal gassing in here......I did not see what y’all saw. It looked to me like he easily had 2 rounds left in him

Last edited:

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I'm going to take the word of Masvidal instead of the experts here, when he himself says he felt great and had no problem with his cardio whatsoever after the 3 rounds. Nothing about him screamed fatigued when he was in the middle of the action. Raising his arms above his head doesn't mean shit, other than perhaps disbelief he couldn't finish Nate when he had the chance. Diaz got outclassed and based on everything I've seen, I don't think it would've changed that much going to the 4th and 5th round. There's obviously always a chance and Diaz has shown he's capable of pulling upsets but as violent and beastly as Masvidal is, he's not stupid. Masvidal has never been finished in the UFC for a good reason.

Mad respect to both fighters and I'm especially happy for Jorge. He's finally up there next in line for the title shot and looking better than ever.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Masvidal still lost that fight though against Maia who has a questionable gas tank when things go beyond the first round.

He couldn't finish Masvidal though, and Nate needed a finish to win this fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm going to take the word of Masvidal instead of the experts here, when he himself says he felt great and had no problem with his cardio whatsoever after the 3 rounds.
Whether he was or not, any fighter in that situation isn't going to admit he was starting to gas out.

Raising his arms above his head doesn't mean ****
Yes it does. You put your arms above your head to take better, deeper breathes because your getting tired. Everyone knows that. It doesn't mean he wouldn't have been able to catch his breathe and continue on, but it's a clear, obvious sign of fatigue starting to set in.

I don't think it would've changed that much going to the 4th and 5th round. There's obviously always a chance and Diaz has shown he's capable of pulling upsets but as violent and beastly as Masvidal is, he's not stupid. Masvidal has never been finished in the UFC for a good reason.
Everything you say about Masvidal is true, but this sucks for him, too. He put on an amazing performance, but now the narrative includes the doctor instead of just Masvidal being the baddest motherf***er.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
He gets beaten up like that every fight? I doubt that very much. Never seen Diaz fight this lopsided.

I would say Diaz regularly has to endure punishment in order to get to a point in the fight when he can use his marathon cardio in the later stages of the fight. He was dropped more times in the McGregor fight until Conor started to gas, however I do think the start to this fight was the most lopsided I've seen as you say.

I'm going to take the word of Masvidal instead of the experts here, when he himself says he felt great and had no problem with his cardio whatsoever after the 3 rounds. Nothing about him screamed fatigued when he was in the middle of the action. Raising his arms above his head doesn't mean ****, other than perhaps disbelief he couldn't finish Nate when he had the chance. Diaz got outclassed and based on everything I've seen, I don't think it would've changed that much going to the 4th and 5th round. There's obviously always a chance and Diaz has shown he's capable of pulling upsets but as violent and beastly as Masvidal is, he's not stupid. Masvidal has never been finished in the UFC for a good reason.

Mad respect to both fighters and I'm especially happy for Jorge. He's finally up there next in line for the title shot and looking better than ever.

You’re upset your guy got SMOKED, I get it. He didn’t win a second of the fight. Least competitive fight on the card. At least the first round knockouts didn’t get dominated for 15 minutes. I hate to break it to you- he wasn’t finishing Masvidal. Guy hasn’t been finished in 10 years, Nate is a concussed bloody pulp and you’re sitting here being like “well there was a 0.00000000001% he catches him in a triangle!!!!!1!1!1!1!11one!!!!”

No **** anything can happen, I could be diagnosed with the bubonic plague tomorrow but guess what? Very ****ing unlikely

First off, the last two bolded are contradictory statements.

Next, that's not it at all. I didn't really care who won this fight. I enjoy both fighters. I'm upset about the stoppage from a great fight continuing on. I also think Diaz was starting to get to a point in the fight when he was going to get an advantage on the pace/endurance. Masvidal can claim what he wants in the interview after, but if we're going to count interviews, Diaz also claimed that he could feel Masvidal slowing down and as a viewer I'd have to agree with that assessment. Would Masvidal still win in rd 4-5? Very likely and Diaz would have needed a unlikely finish, but it was possible even if ever so slightly, and I wanted to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He couldn't finish Masvidal though, and Nate needed a finish to win this fight.
That is true, but it's different circumstances. That was only a 3 round fight against a guy with zero stand up. Nate obviously doesn't throw a ton of power shots, but he's still good enough to clip Masvidal. And Nate is not Maia on the ground, but what happens if Masvidal was starting to fade and then got rocked a bit?

I wouldn't bet on it happening, but I want to see how it would have played out.

Reactions: h2

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I would say Diaz regularly has to endure punishment in order to get to a point in the fight when he can use his marathon cardio in the later stages of the fight. He was dropped more times in the McGregor fight until Conor started to gas, however I do think the start to this fight was the most lopsided I've seen as you say.

First off, the last two bolded are contradictory statements.

Next, that's not it at all. I didn't really care who won this fight. I enjoy both fighters. I'm upset about the stoppage from a great fight continuing on. I also think Diaz was starting to get to a point in the fight when he was going to get an advantage on the pace/endurance. Masvidal can claim what he wants in the interview after, but if we're going to count interviews, Diaz also claimed that he could feel Masvidal slowing down and as a viewer I'd have to agree with that assessment. Would Masvidal still win in rd 4-5? Very likely and Diaz would have needed a unlikely finish, but it was possible even if ever so slightly, and I wanted to see it.

Well when your strategy is to get multiple vaginas opened around your eye then nobody cares if you want to see it, the doctor has a job to do. Dana says when he went backstage he understood why it was stopped, his eyelid was hanging over his eye. He needs plastic surgery

It was a demolition. Nate did not deserve to see the 4th round.

And again- its possible I get the plague today too. But guess what? It’s not happening. Just like Nate wasn’t going to finish Masvidal. You can claim “what if” all you want, you were just watching an entirely different fight than everybody else if you do want to claim that. Nate has never looked that bad. Never. It was non competitive

Also that was not a great fight. That was a beating, I don’t need to see a guy absorb life altering punishment for 25 minutes when hes not landing back. He’s not rocky. He’s a real person.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Masvidal had won the first three rounds. Maybe he was getting tired, maybe he wasn't.

Diaz would have the cardio advantage for the last two rounds, but to what extent is unclear. Diaz also absolutely needed a finish in a fight that he was getting killed in and against a guy who is extremely difficult to finish.

As a fan I wanted to see the last 10 minutes, but the result was unlikely to change.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Well when your strategy is to get multiple vaginas opened around your eye then nobody cares if you want to see it, the doctor has a job to do. Dana says when he went backstage he understood why it was stopped, his eyelid was hanging over his eye. He needs plastic surgery

It was a demolition. Nate did not deserve to see the 4th round.

And again- its possible I get the plague today too. But guess what? It’s not happening. Just like Nate wasn’t going to finish Masvidal. You can claim “what if” all you want, you were just watching an entirely different fight than anybody else if you do want to claim that

I'm not sure why you think I was watching another fight, I agree that Nate was getting absolutely worked. I've also seen this happen to Diaz multiple times, admittedly not to the same degree as this fight, but I've seen him carry on and make the fight interesting in the past. It's not unreasonable to think there were potential moments ahead in the fight for Diaz in rounds 4-5, even as unlikely as a finish would be. To claim there was a 100% chance it wasn't happening is just naive thinking with mixed martial arts.

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm not sure why you think I was watching another fight, I agree that Nate was getting absolutely worked. I've also seen this happen to Diaz multiple times, admittedly not to the same degree as this fight, but I've seen him carry on and make the fight interesting in the past. It's not unreasonable to think there were potential moments ahead in the fight for Diaz in rounds 4-5, even as unlikely as a finish would be. To claim there was a 100% chance it wasn't happening is just naive thinking with mixed martial arts.

This is the mindset that leads to deaths in combat sports. Just wanted to let you know.

This is how you end up with a Gifford situation

And again, he is getting plastic surgery. His eyelid was hanging on by a thread. He did not deserve to continue, his performance did not warrant the benefit of the doubt

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Masvidal had won the first three rounds. Maybe he was getting tired, maybe he wasn't.

Diaz would have the cardio advantage for the last two rounds, but to what extent is unclear. Diaz also absolutely needed a finish in a fight that he was getting killed in and against a guy who is extremely difficult to finish.

As a fan I wanted to see the last 10 minutes, but the result was unlikely to change.

You articulated how I feel much better than I have. It was also just the timing of the stoppage for me, I feel like Diaz was approaching an advantage and then the fight was called. I do admit things were likely headed the same way, but I liked the bit of intrigue coming in for that 4th round as a fan and to have it taken away was disappointing.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That is true, but it's different circumstances. That was only a 3 round fight against a guy with zero stand up. Nate obviously doesn't throw a ton of power shots, but he's still good enough to clip Masvidal. And Nate is not Maia on the ground, but what happens if Masvidal was starting to fade and then got rocked a bit?

I wouldn't bet on it happening, but I want to see how it would have played out.

Sure, everyone wanted to see the rest of the fight.

As for the rest, yes it's a fight so anything can happen. Nate had almost no path to victory though so the odds weren't good, like you mentioned.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
This is the mindset that leads to deaths in combat sports. Just wanted to let you know.

This is how you end up with a Gifford situation

And again, he is getting plastic surgery. His eyelid was hanging on by a thread. He did not deserve to continue, his performance did not warrant the benefit of the doubt

I'm not going to shift this narrative to where you're putting it and this is where I respectfully stop responding.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know people didn't like Cruz's comments after the fight but he was on-point with Diaz needing more urgency in that fight. Not just because of the cut but he had clearly lost the first two rounds.

After the fight saying your plan was to wait until the 4th round to do anything is either a lie or awful fight IQ. It's embarrassing that some fans are tricked by this garbage. You're just setting yourself up to win a round or two at the end, lose a decision, and then play victim saying you got screwed.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm not going to shift this narrative to where you're putting it and this is where I respectfully stop responding.

Fair, but It’s simply a fact. Corners trot their fighters out “because they have a chance” and then they take life-altering/life ending damage. We saw it with Gifford a couple weeks ago. We saw it with Pennington. We saw it with the Russian boxer within the last couple months. That mindset is the only reason why it happens. To think otherwise is naive.

Nate is probably having his eyelid reattached as I type this. Yall wanted him to really go out there and take more damage? I get the disappointment in it being a doctor stoppage but it was a totally valid one.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I know people didn't like Cruz's comments after the fight but he was on-point with Diaz needing more urgency in that fight. Not just because of the cut but he had clearly lost the first two rounds.

After the fight saying your plan was to wait until the 4th round to do anything is either a lie or awful fight IQ. It's embarrassing that some fans are tricked by this garbage. You're just setting yourself up to win a round or two at the end, lose a decision, and then play victim saying you got screwed.

That has been a common Diaz brother theme in their fights. It's certainly an odd way to go about fighting. The Pettis fight was the rare one where the urgency was there from the start, and probably due to the 3 round length. I think they pace themselves in 5 rounds too much and agree with Cruz here.

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Main event was fun while it lasted but I hated the stoppage. If there's anyone who should be allowed to stay in it, it's Diaz. Masvidal really did look great though and it was all him through three rounds. His power was affecting Diaz a lot more than I thought it would. Weird stoppage aside, great performance by him.

I thought Gastelum/Till sucked but Till had a good game plan and picked up a much needed win. Hopefully he's staying at 185 for good.

Wonderboy looked great. Luque had some moments early and then just got lit up for the rest of the fight.

Nice sloppy HW fight. I was a little surprised by the 30-27 for Lewis but he did land the biggest punches in the fight. Props to Ivanov as well because there are very few people who could've taken those punches and not gone down. The post-fight interview was weird even for Lewis' standards.

KO of the year candidate for Lee. I'm glad he's back on track after a few losses. He still has work to do but he's still young and the new camp could help him get near the top of the division again.

Anderson shut everyone up and ended the hype train in a hurry. I thought he could win but figured it'd be a decision where he just controls Walker for three rounds. I think Reyes still deserves the next shot at Jones but Anderson is right up there.

Bad night of predictions for me. I had Diaz, Gastelum, Luque, and Walker.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Fair, but It’s simply a fact. Corners trot their fighters out “because they have a chance” and then they take life-altering/life ending damage. We saw it with Gifford a couple weeks ago. We saw it with Pennington. We saw it with the Russian boxer within the last couple months. That mindset is the only reason why it happens. To think otherwise is naive.

Nate is probably having his eyelid reattached as I type this. Yall wanted him to really go out there and take more damage? I get the disappointment in it being a doctor stoppage but it was a totally valid one.
It's his eyebrow, not his eyelid, and he had stitches last night. The plastic surgery you've brought up is to have his bone filed down to prevent cuts from happening. Nick had it done a long time ago. Someone 'suggested' it to him. It's up to him if he wants it done or not, but it's not to 'reattach' anything.

Reactions: h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002

You had to come back and twist the knife further? I have absolutely no interest in shifting this topic from "Diaz could have potential moments in rds 4-5 but was unlikely to pull it off" to "that mindset leads to people dying". Is the latter sometimes a problem and should fighters be protected from that? Yes. I guess that concludes I'm not naive. I feel better. Let's go back to talking about fighting now.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's his eyebrow, not his eyelid, and he had stitches last night. The plastic surgery you've brought up is to have his bone filed down to prevent cuts from happening. Nick had it done a long time ago. Someone 'suggested' it to him. It's up to him if he wants it done or not, but it's not to 'reattach' anything.

Fair enough, Dana said he saw Nate backstage and understood why the doctor called it. I think he said something about it hanging over his eye. Not ideal!

At the end of the day I don’t need to see guys brutally beaten when they don’t need to take the damage. And I went 8-2 last night on bets, one of my losses being Diaz. So I was hoping he’d win. At the end of the day though it’s important to understand that this isn’t the movies and there are real repercussions to the damage they take. I was glad it was stopped

I also had a 7 way parlay where the only loss was the Tavares-Shahbazyan fight. That kid is the real deal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Did they really stall the Canelo fight at the MGM so people could watch the Diaz fight? That's wild.

Stalled it so the fights wouldn't be on at the same time but yeah, pretty much. I still can't believe that happened. Both Canelo and Kovalev were laying on couches in the back with all their gear on just waiting to go. Smart move by whoever called Dana and asked to show UFC 244 on the big screen because prior to that everyone was apparently just sitting there.

That was a very close fight that I thought could've gone either way up until that KO. I don't think Kovalev hurt Canelo at any point as most of his punches were just jabs but he was scoring. I believe two judges had Canelo up two rounds and the other had it even.

Reactions: SimR and m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You had to come back and twist the knife further? I have absolutely no interest in shifting this topic from "Diaz could have potential moments in rds 4-5 but was unlikely to pull it off" to "that mindset leads to people dying". Is the latter sometimes a problem and should fighters be protected from that? Yes. I guess that concludes I'm not naive. I feel better. Let's go back to talking about fighting now.

It may be uncomfortable to you but we are talking about fighting. If it was competitive like the mcgregor fight that would’ve been one thing. It just wasn’t. There’s no need to keep trotting him out there because he’s got a punchers chance when his eyebrow is barely attached to his skull

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Masvidal is my guy, probably my favorite in MMA. But I have no problem with the stoppage. Diaz was not defending himself at several points and was outclassed through most of the fight. We all want to see the massive KO but I'm okay with Nate keeping his eye and not receiving more brain damage.

Great event though. Thought Good, Shabazyan and Lee all looked incredible.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->