GDT: UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What a fight by Usman. He was so consistent with this gameplan and I think a lot of fighters could be a champ like Usman if they were consistent round to round like Usman.

Woodley has fought like this against Thompson twice. Backs up to the ring, but never got taken down. Against Usman he was backed up, then taken down and stayed there.
Woodley's always done that, but I can't imagine that was the gameplan. Even after the first round, his corner was saying go forward. But he continued to back up. It's kind of unexplainable.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
That was complete domination by Usman, that flurry of striking at the end of the 4th was insane. I don't mind if they run that back, very good fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That was complete domination by Usman, that flurry of striking at the end of the 4th was insane. I don't mind if they run that back, very good fight.
I don't think so. That was worse than getting KO'ed in the first round like Stipe or Joanna. Just domination for 25min. There's no question who the better fighter was and there was nothing fluky about it.

member 51464

Jon is going to kill him, obviously. But hopefully Smith at least makes it more competitive than Gus did last time around.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I don't think so. That was worse than getting KO'ed in the first round like Stipe or Joanna. Just domination for 25min. There's no question who the better fighter was and there was nothing fluky about it.

Yeah, I can't dispute that. I'm going just off the basis of the duration of the title reign of the previous champ. The fashion in which Usman dominated is definitely a valid point for countering that though. I'm not really invested if it goes either way, but I like to see champs get rematches if they held for a while.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jon is going to kill him, obviously. But hopefully Smith at least makes it more competitive than Gus did last time around.
Yeah, I hope Smith at least looks respectable. He seems like a good dude and has had a long road to get here.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jon is very Floyd-esque. He reads you earlier and then just picks you apart. Those kicks are taking their toll on Smith.

member 51464

Anthony looks ready to turtle each time Jones comes forward :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad