Middleweight bout: Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Charles Byrd
Women's Bantamweight bout: Gina Mazany vs. Macy Chiasson
Bantamweight bout: Marlon Vera vs. Frankie Saenz
Women's Strawweight bout: Polyana Viana vs. Hannah Cifers​

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That's about as good as you get for a prelim card - looks like a solid Fight Night card itself.

And yeah, good main card too. Two title fights, Askren/Lawler, and return of Garbrandt.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Guessing Johnny Walker is replacing someone on short notice? Guy just fought.

Very solid card overall though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
One of the deepest cards we've seen recently.

Jones likely makes it look easy. I like Smith and his story but this is a completely different level of competition.

Woodley/Usman is interesting but I think Woodley does everything a bit better than Usman. I wouldn't be surprised if this fight ends up lacking action and becomes one of those stand up fights where both guys look tentative. Woodley has some more weapons on his feet but both guys are great grapplers, who often look for the big power punches.

Rest of the main card is fun as well and then on the prelims you have what could be the fight of the night in Stephens vs. Zabit and a quick turnaround for Walker.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Why do they insist on shoehorning a women's fight onto the main card?

Zabit is a star in the making and should be fighting on the main card

Sanchez vs Gall would also have enough interest to warrant a spot

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Zabit will be seen by a lot more people by being on ESPN so that could be a factor in putting him there. The same applies to Walker as well.

There are certainly better options I would've gone with but I don't think this women's fight is that bad. Torres only loses to the best in the division and Zhang was impressive in her last fight.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010

Gotta make people excited to buy the PPV.

More excited to see Johnny Walker on the undercard to be honest

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Main event might be the least intriguing fight on the card :laugh:. I actually think Smith might earn some respect in this fight, but I just don't see how he wins it. Jones is too good for some of the best ever let alone a failed MW who beat a couple geezers and one top contender in a weak LHW division. I'll be rooting for him, though.

I agree with @Avs_19 Woodley-Usman could be boring with each not wanting to get taken down. I'm hoping both are so confident in their wrestling that they will let their hands go, but I doubt it. I also agree that Woodley is just too good all around. Usman is a freak athlete, though, so who knows.

Lawler-Askren is my main event. The fight itself could be boring, but I'm just really curious how Askren's style is going to translate to the UFC. Lawler is obviously a stud and is a bad stylistic matchup for him (good TDD and powerful puncher). I like both guys so tough one for me to root for one of them. Kind of the opposite of Woodley-Usman.

I'm OK watching Tecia Torres.

They really like this prelim main event thing. Well, they got 2 of the best up-and-coming prospects in the sport on ESPN fighting ranked guys. Could turn out great for them.

Absolutely stacked card. Just praying for no last minute PED or weight cutting issues.

Reactions: 1specter and Avs_19

member 51464

I hope Askren impresses. It would suck to have Robbie stomp him and make all the wait and bit of hype be for naught. At least a good fight, regardless of winner, would be nice.

Reactions: Neutrinos

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I hope Askren impresses. It would suck to have Robbie stomp him and make all the wait and bit of hype be for naught. At least a good fight, regardless of winner, would be nice.
Askren would take a licking on social media after all the shit he talked

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm just here to see how many picograms Jones is carrying in this fight (or if they've disappeared again suddenly).

Jokes aside this card is pretty great. Woodley/Usman should be a good match up; I enjoy tactical battles as much as bangers so I'm really interested to see who wins that 'chess match'. I've never been a huge Lawler fan personally, and if Askren is as good as he's supposed to be in the wrestling department I think he'll take it comfortably. It would be pretty great to see Smith crumble Jones (and if it happens please no immediate rematch) but...

I also have no issue at all with women's fights on the main card. If it's a good fight I'm down, and often enough the women have been bringing pretty exciting fights to the table of late.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm just here to see how many picograms Jones is carrying in this fight (or if they've disappeared again suddenly).

Jokes aside this card is pretty great. Woodley/Usman should be a good match up; I enjoy tactical battles as much as bangers so I'm really interested to see who wins that 'chess match'. I've never been a huge Lawler fan personally, and if Askren is as good as he's supposed to be in the wrestling department I think he'll take it comfortably. It would be pretty great to see Smith crumble Jones (and if it happens please no immediate rematch) but...

I also have no issue at all with women's fights on the main card. If it's a good fight I'm down, and often enough the women have been bringing pretty exciting fights to the table of late.

I completely disagree on the women's fights and they've been consistently terrible for quite some time. The very top of the division (Nunes, Cyborg, Andrade, Rose, etc) have put on great fights but once you get out of the top 5 it's been bad.

Hopefully this one is a good one, but either way the UFC needs to to limit these mid-tier WMMA fights as they're crowd-killers.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Askren would take a licking on social media after all the **** he talked
I have such mixed feelings. I like Lawler a lot, but I'm not sure how much he has left in him and it would be fun to add a character like Askren to the top of that decision. Askren's shit talking is so funny to me, but it's also true and he's also not afraid to compliment his opponents. It's refreshing.

I completely disagree on the women's fights and they've been consistently terrible for quite some time. The very top of the division (Nunes, Cyborg, Andrade, Rose, etc) have put on great fights but once you get out of the top 5 it's been bad.

Hopefully this one is a good one, but either way the UFC needs to to limit these mid-tier WMMA fights as they're crowd-killers.
I'd agree with that. 115 goes a little deeper than the top 5 IMO, but 125 is basically only Valentina and 135 is like Nunes, Holly, and GDR and that's about it. I think the problem is basically they don't have the power to pull off an upset. Like Torres is close to being as good as Joanna or someone like that, but she's not and she doesn't have the power to catch her with something to upset her.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
For the bad WMMA it's mix of limited skills and not enough power. Basically the worst part of heavyweight (skill) and the worst part of flyweight (power) combined into one.

And this is taking nothing away from the top tier. Cyborg, Nunes, Holm, Andrade, Rose etc all have had great finishes. It's the Casey v Calvillo, Carmouche v Pudilova and fights like that are impossible to watch.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'd agree with that. 115 goes a little deeper than the top 5 IMO, but 125 is basically only Valentina and 135 is like Nunes, Holly, and GDR and that's about it. I think the problem is basically they don't have the power to pull off an upset. Like Torres is close to being as good as Joanna or someone like that, but she's not and she doesn't have the power to catch her with something to upset her.
There are some more exciting fighters coming up now though. Keep in mind that WMMA is still fairly nascent. I think we're just now starting to get the generation that has been dedicated to MMA and competing fully starting to make its way up the ranks. Tatiana Suarez, MacKenzie Dern (assuming she comes back and can make weight), Sijara Eubanks, Aspen Ladd and even Montana de La Rosa has looked really good lately. Some are older of course but that's not too different from men's divisions. Of course my favourite up and comer is Maycee Barber, who actually looks like a new breed (cliche) and a real savage...she's still a bit out but she's really impressed to date.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
For the bad WMMA it's mix of limited skills and not enough power. Basically the worst part of heavyweight (skill) and the worst part of flyweight (power) combined into one.

And this is taking nothing away from the top tier. Cyborg, Nunes, Holm, Andrade, Rose etc all have had great finishes. It's the Casey v Calvillo, Carmouche v Pudilova and fights like that are impossible to watch.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's no surprise that the HW fights are among the most popular with the casual fans because you're always on your seat awaiting a big knockdown, you don't get that same experience with most WMMA fights(and men's FLW for that matter). Add in the lack of skill still prevalent with many bottom level WMMA fighters and it leads to some really boring, unwatchable fights.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There are some more exciting fighters coming up now though. Keep in mind that WMMA is still fairly nascent. I think we're just now starting to get the generation that has been dedicated to MMA and competing fully starting to make its way up the ranks. Tatiana Suarez, MacKenzie Dern (assuming she comes back and can make weight), Sijara Eubanks, Aspen Ladd and even Montana de La Rosa has looked really good lately. Some are older of course but that's not too different from men's divisions. Of course my favourite up and comer is Maycee Barber, who actually looks like a new breed (cliche) and a real savage...she's still a bit out but she's really impressed to date.
I think they will, as a division, always suffer from a lot of the same problems that men's 125 does. Most notably, lack of power and a smaller population of people to pull from so it's not as competitive.

I think @m9 's point is pretty valid, though. If they want to try to build up those divisions, fine. But do it on Fight Nights or on the prelims. You don't need to force one onto the main card of a PPV. I'm not necessarily saying Torres-Zhang isn't worthy of being on a PPV, but they do force one on a lot of times. Although, with how stacked this card is, Torres-Zhang is the obvious weak link.

And FWIW, I'm excited for Suarez. She's a monster and as long as Rose/Andrade fight at least twice this year, it wouldn't shock me at all if she is the champ before 2019 is over. The rest of those girls you mentioned have a long way to go.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Women's divisions are developing. I see it similar to watching a young/inexperienced hockey or basketball team develop, compare it to 2 or 3 years ago and it's actually a huge improvement.
I personally enjoy it because sometimes you get some awesome fights and it is also good for future betting lol. I don't really have a problem with them trying to showcase it either....I mean unlike Greg Hardy I see the reasoning.

This is the best card top to bottom in a long freaking time. Zabit will get his moment headlining the ESPN part, Johnny Walker gonna smash.

The thing that will be interesting about the Askren fight is he's about to get hit harder than he ever has before....how did that work out for Cyborg??

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The Lawler/Askren fight is the one I'm most interested in. Really hoping Lawler knocks him out.

Reactions: m9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm much more interested in seeing Askren win. I think we know what we're getting with Lawler and he doesn't really make the division any more exciting (aside from his fighting style). If Askren wins and at least looks decent in doing so there are a lot of interesting fights to make there (and a potential grudge match if Usman can overcome the odds). Who knows what Lawler will look like here, also.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
I'm much more interested in seeing Askren win. I think we know what we're getting with Lawler and he doesn't really make the division any more exciting (aside from his fighting style). If Askren wins and at least looks decent in doing so there are a lot of interesting fights to make there (and a potential grudge match if Usman can overcome the odds). Who knows what Lawler will look like here, also.

Askren and exciting dont go hand in hand tho

Reactions: DaaaaB's

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
D0hMCo5U0AAXbGR.png:large

Novitkzy to address the media about these tests today, supposedly.

Jones did not disappoint. Only wondering how many more picos Jones will be pulsing prefight. I especially like

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad