GDT: UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I see him fighting Khabib and winning. Then I see McGregor beating him to regain the belt, and the rematch with Khabib/McGregor following that.

That would be a fun scenario. It's also why I advocate Conor v Diaz 3 at 155lbs next as it gives Conor a big yet winnable fight to set him up for the winner of that fight.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That would be a fun scenario. It's also why I advocate Conor v Diaz 3 at 155lbs next as it gives Conor a big yet winnable fight to set him up for the winner of that fight.

I think Conor vs Diaz, or Conor vs Pettis, or Conor vs Aldo, or Conor vs Holloway, or Conor vs Poirier , or Conor vs Lee, or Conor vs RDA would all be viable fights for him at this point. I'd obviously steer him towards a more winnable fight but those would all be interesting clashes to see as a fan.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
not sure of the validity, but apparently Khabib's uncle has said Khabib wants to fight Tony next and even turned down a $15-million rematch with Conor or whatever the payout would be. He wants to fight Tony next and then retire in the near future.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
not sure of the validity, but apparently Khabib's uncle has said Khabib wants to fight Tony next and even turned down a $15-million rematch with Conor or whatever the payout would be. He wants to fight Tony next and then retire in the near future.

He made his point. McGregor isn't at his level, let alone planet, skill wise. Why even remotely entertain the idea of a rematch, when this would mean having to subject himself to another round of antics from McGregor, only to win in the exact same way.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Unfortunately, I think we're getting an immediate rematch. I was completely against the Conor/Nate immediate rematch as well and ended up being wrong but this one seems like an even worse idea.

All of these reports and threats just come off as public negotiation tactics from Khabib's side.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
In my opinion, without question, Khabib vs. Tony and Conor vs. Nate are the 2 fights to make. Those are 2 GREAT, headlining fights that MMA fans have been wanting to see for years. Conor always does big numbers and with Khabib becoming a bigger star after dominating Conor (and as much as people don't want to admit, jumping over the cage), I think Khabib vs. Tony does pretty well, too. No matter who wins, it sets up another great title fight afterwards. Shit, you could even have the losers fight each other and it would be a big fight.

The problem is, if they make Khabib-Conor 2, I'm still going to watch it. And so are probably 2.4M+ other people. And the UFC knows that. Tony would be still be there after, so why not strike while the iron is hot?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He made his point. McGregor isn't at his level, let alone planet, skill wise. Why even remotely entertain the idea of a rematch, when this would mean having to subject himself to another round of antics from McGregor, only to win in the exact same way.
I agree that there shouldn't be an immediate rematch, but 2 things:

1. Just because Khabib dominated that fight doesn't mean he's that much more of a skilled fighter than Conor. As I and others have said, it is entirely possible that Tony beats Khabib and then Conor beats Tony. Styles make fights. Khabib's style is tailormade for Conor's.
2. Just because one fight went a certain way doesn't mean a rematch would. Conor gassed out in the the second round of the first Nate fight. Then he won a 5 round decision. Couture easily beat Liddell in their first fight. Then he got KO'ed in the rematch and KO'ed again in their 3rd fight. GSP lost the first fight to Hughes in the first round. Then he beat Hughes twice. Mir beat Lesnar. Then Lesnar beat Mir. Ali lost to Frazier and then beat him twice. I believe he lost to Norton and then beat him twice as well. I know there are examples where the rematch went the same way, but my point is things can change.

None of that is to take away from Khabib. He's an absolute monster. There have been a lot of wrestlers that have come through the UFC that haven't looked nearly as dominant as Khabib has looked. But Conor is a hell of a fighter, too. I hope we see the rematch at some point and I'll be rooting for Conor in that one because a trilogy between these 2 would be epic.

Reactions: LSCII

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Kevin Lee should be in this picture also somewhere.

I would say he is right behind Tony in line for title shot.

Ideally, it would be Khabib-Tony, Conor-Lee. Winners would face each other.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Completely forgot about this until I saw the Matthew-Trump thread, but did Trump really call Lewis before his fight?

Imagine Lewis fights another Russian and Putin and Trump come in the entourage.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kevin Lee should be in this picture also somewhere.

I would say he is right behind Tony in line for title shot.

Ideally, it would be Khabib-Tony, Conor-Lee. Winners would face each other.
I'd put him behind Tony and Poirier.

That's not to say I think Poirier is a better fighter or not, but Pettis-Gaethje-Alvarez is a better string of wins than Lee beating Barbosa (where he missed weight) and possibly Raging Al.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Completely forgot about this until I saw the Matthew-Trump thread, but did Trump really call Lewis before his fight?

Imagine Lewis fights another Russian and Putin and Trump come in the entourage.

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'd put him behind Tony and Poirier.

That's not to say I think Poirier is a better fighter or not, but Pettis-Gaethje-Alvarez is a better string of wins than Lee beating Barbosa (where he missed weight) and possibly Raging Al.

I agree with this. I think Lee beats Iaquinta.

As long as the timing works out, my ideal scenario would be Khabib/Tony, Conor/Nate, and Lee/Poirer to really flesh out the division.

Ideally you have Lee/Poirer on the Khabib/Tony fight to protect against either guy not making the fight. This seems like one of those obvious things that the UFC never seems to actually plan properly, though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

As long as the timing works out, my ideal scenario would be Khabib/Tony, Conor/Nate, and Lee/Poirer to really flesh out the division.

Ideally you have Lee/Poirer on the Khabib/Tony fight to protect against either guy not making the fight. This seems like one of those obvious things that the UFC never seems to actually plan properly, though.
Those are all great fights and I'd be on board for that. Who gets the next title shot between the Conor/Nate and Poirier/Lee winners, though? Conor > Lee/Poirier > Nate?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Those are all great fights and I'd be on board for that. Who gets the next title shot between the Conor/Nate and Poirier/Lee winners, though? Conor > Lee/Poirier > Nate?

I think a bunch of it depends on when these fights actually happen and who wins. You also have to wonder how long Khabib has left at 155lbs, or maybe even fighting in general.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Those fights would be ideal if Lee beats Iaquinta. I think a Khabib/Conor rematch, Ferguson/Poirier, and Lee being left without an opponent is also a realistic scenario.

I feel like Lee is a bit underrated. I don't know if it's because he already lost to Ferguson, isn't a big name yet, or people just don't like his personality but stylistically he might be the guy who could give Khabib some problems.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Those fights would be ideal if Lee beats Iaquinta. I think a Khabib/Conor rematch, Ferguson/Poirier, and Lee being left without an opponent is also a realistic scenario.

I feel like Lee is a bit underrated. I don't know if it's because he already lost to Ferguson, isn't a big name yet, or people just don't like his personality but stylistically he might be the guy who could give Khabib some problems.

I fully believe it's the bolded.

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think a bunch of it depends on when these fights actually happen and who wins. You also have to wonder how long Khabib has left at 155lbs, or maybe even fighting in general.
I wonder how much longer Conor and Nate will fight, too. It's pretty clear both aren't willing to take fights to climb the rankings. They want big fights and big paydays only.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Lee is pretty young still, he only turned 26 like a month ago, so I think he just hasn't established himself yet even though he's a top talent IMO. And yeah, his personality can be a bit grating....when he's being genuine and just being himself he's actually a pretty cool guy, but when he tries to be villainous or talk smack it's just super super cringey. For example he made fun of DC for crying after losing to Jones, yet when Tony submitted him he cried like a baby himself. He also repeatedly takes shots at Khabib though he's probably trying to call him out to get a fight with him.

I do think he has a bright future though and IMO I think he's a future LW champ for sure in another 2-3 years.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Unfortunately, I think we're getting an immediate rematch. I was completely against the Conor/Nate immediate rematch as well and ended up being wrong but this one seems like an even worse idea.

All of these reports and threats just come off as public negotiation tactics from Khabib's side.
I don't think so man. I really think Khabib and his father care about legacy a lot, and are ultimately driven by that more than the money. When he's done fighting he's gonna go back to Dagestan anyways and he has enough money and fame that he can pretty much take care of the next 3 generations of his blood line if he wants to. He has enough money now that he never has to fight again if he doesn't want to.

Yes, money talks, but Khabib isn't like the others.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Part of it's his personality, for sure.

He also had a weird "fight" with Chiesa at the press conference, then there was the questionable finish where you couldn't tell if Chiesa tapped. He then lost to Ferguson AND tried to hide staph infection, which rubbed people the wrong way. Then he missed weight for the Barboza fight.

Just not a ton of things that get people excited for him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think so man. I really think Khabib and his father care about legacy a lot, and are ultimately driven by that more than the money. When he's done fighting he's gonna go back to Dagestan anyways and he has enough money and fame that he can pretty much take care of the next 3 generations of his blood line if he wants to. He has enough money now that he never has to fight again if he doesn't want to.

Yes, money talks, but Khabib isn't like the others.

I don't know what Khabib's long-term plan is, but I do agree that he wants the Ferguson fight next. Hopefully the UFC makes it happen.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
NSAC penalties aside, Khabib/Conor 2 in Brooklyn next April.

No way in hell does Conor deserve a rematch, but if I want to watch title fights based on merit, I can watch Bellator.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I think Lee is a tough match up for anyone in that division. I mean, he almost beat Tony. But the fact of the matter is that his only top 10 win is against Barboza (where he missed weight). Start stacking some top 10 wins and people will take notice. Beating Raging Al in a FOX main event would be a start.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
NSAC penalties aside, Khabib/Conor 2 in Brooklyn next April.

No way in hell does Conor deserve a rematch, but if I want to watch title fights based on merit, I can watch Bellator.
Even putting aside merit, why would you not want Ferguson vs Khabib? That's going to be entertaining as f***.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad