GDT: UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Get it done then.

Wow. I'm surprised to see him so definitively answer that. I know Dana's said a lot of things in the past and then did the exact opposite, but I'm leaning towards Khabib-Tony being the fight we actually get now. I thought before we were going to get the rematch immediately. I think everybody outside of Conor and his team have said Khabib-Tony is the fight to make, though. Let's hope we all get what we want.

Reactions: Avs_19

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
How this fight went is the only known commodity in this discussion.

Considering it's highly doubtful there ever will be a rematch, it would also be the only relevant one.

Khabib even stated he would fight McGregor once. You give rematches to someone you respect.

Debating on what ifs, is like predicting outcomes.

On paper and factually as of right now, their skills aren't even close.

McGregor can only beat Khabib in one way. Khabib could smash him, submit him and I wouldn't even be surprised if he knocked him out.

Not sure why it's so hard to accept.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wow. I'm surprised to see him so definitively answer that. I know Dana's said a lot of things in the past and then did the exact opposite, but I'm leaning towards Khabib-Tony being the fight we actually get now. I thought before we were going to get the rematch immediately. I think everybody outside of Conor and his team have said Khabib-Tony is the fight to make, though. Let's hope we all get what we want.

I really hope so but money talks and all new ownership seems to care about is what makes them the most money in the short-term.

One interesting part of this is that both Conor and Ferguson are represented by Audie Attar and his agency. How does he do what's in the best interest of both of his clients in a situation like this when they both want the same thing?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Considering it's highly doubtful there ever will be a rematch, it would also be the only relevant one.

Khabib even stated he would fight McGregor once. You give rematches to someone you respect.

Debating on what ifs, is like predicting outcomes.

On paper and factually as of right now, their skills aren't even close.

McGregor can only beat Khabib in one way. Khabib could smash him, submit him and I wouldn't even be surprised if he knocked him out.

Not sure why it's so hard to accept.

Again, all you're doing is making blanket statements that are not something anyone can prove or disprove. I subscribe to the belief that they have the fights for a reason and that anyone can beat anyone on a given night. You saying Khabib is only going to fight a guy x amount of times is all well and good, but let's just see what happens instead of passing off your own beliefs as fact? They're not facts. Their opinions. Nothing but opinions.

And like I said earlier, I'm not pushing for a McGregor Khabib rematch. I want to see Tony and Khabib next as that fight has been percolating for a long, long time. With it's history, I'm not sure it will ever happen, but that's the one I want to see next.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'll give Dana credit, he's been speaking very high of Tony since the night of the fight. He's not making any secrets that he deserves the next shot. But as I've already stated, however, I have my doubts WME allows it to happen.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
They're not facts. Their opinions. Nothing but opinions.

In the fight, McGregor was outclassed and dominated. Fact.

Find me a judge or anyone who thought otherwise.

McGregor had the same punchers luck available to him that he has against Mayweather. Another fact.

Relying on your opponent to make an uncharacteristic mistake, is a horrible game plan. It also points to their skill mismatch.

Those are all demonstrable.

A year is not long enough to develop the ground game Khabib has. McGregor as a result, a year from now still relies on punchers luck. Still a horrible game plan a year or two from now.

When you get beat that bad a rematch isn't earned.

That also is a fact.

Khabib made it clear he fights for his legacy. Fact.

How is fighting someone you mopped the floor with, vs Ferguson confirm are the best?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I really hope so but money talks and all new ownership seems to care about is what makes them the most money in the short-term.

One interesting part of this is that both Conor and Ferguson are represented by Audie Attar and his agency. How does he do what's in the best interest of both of his clients in a situation like this when they both want the same thing?
Money talks, but Khabib might not be listening. He seems pretty stubborn and adamant that it's about honor and not money, so we'll see.

I did not know that. That makes me think Khabib-Tony and Conor-Nate are the fights to make even more. From the agent side, they both would be huge paydays and the only way there isn't at least one more huge payday is if they both lost.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll give Dana credit, he's been speaking very high of Tony since the night of the fight. He's not making any secrets that he deserves the next shot. But as I've already stated, however, I have my doubts WME allows it to happen.
I think WME would be very happy with Conor-Nate, too, though.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In the fight, McGregor was outclassed and dominated. Fact.

Find me a judge or anyone who thought otherwise.

McGregor had the same punchers luck available to him that he has against Mayweather. Another fact.

Relying on your opponent to make an uncharacteristic mistake, is a horrible game plan. It also points to their skill mismatch.

Those are all demonstrable.

A year is not long enough to develop the ground game Khabib has. McGregor as a result, a year from now still relies on punchers luck. Still a horrible game plan a year or two from now.

When you get beat that bad a rematch isn't earned.

That also is a fact.

Khabib made it clear he fights for his legacy. Fact.

How is fighting someone you mopped the floor with, vs Ferguson confirm are the best?

Did McGregor not sign a poster for you once? Did he beat one of your favorite fighters previously? The way you're focused on him says he had to have wronged you in some way. You're awfully hung up on the guy for some odd reason, and it's honestly a little uncomfortable to see.

You want to make this discussion about one guy, while I'm saying your predictions on any fight in the future are simply nothing more than a prediction. Nobody knows what the outcome on any fight will be. Which is why they have the fights. I mean, I think DC will beat Lewis next month, but anything is possible. Me saying that Lewis isn't on par with DC's skill set may be accurate, but it doesn't mean he's guaranteed a win. You seem to think in the case of Khabib, it does, and that's where you go off the rails. Well that and the condescension towards anyone that disagrees with your opinionfacts...:laugh:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think having Conor fight someone such as Nate next actually makes more sense for the UFC and makes them even more money in a potential Conor/Khabib re-match. A little bit of Conor's shine came off after being manhandled by Khabib so let him fight someone like Nate and build him up again before a rematch with Khabib. Of course there's always the chance Conor loses and pushes a rematch with Khabib even further away but I like Conor's chances against most fighters in the division minus Khabib.

Reactions: dim jim

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I actually want to see Conor fight Kevin Lee, if he can get past that style that's the only way I'll have a little confidence in him in a second fight with Khabib.

Khabib vs Tony makes sense right now, that's the fight to make.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think having Conor fight someone such as Nate next actually makes more sense for the UFC and makes them even more money in a potential Conor/Khabib re-match. A little bit of Conor's shine came off after being manhandled by Khabib so let him fight someone like Nate and build him up again before a rematch with Khabib. Of course there's always the chance Conor loses and pushes a rematch with Khabib even further away but I like Conor's chances against most fighters in the division minus Khabib.
I like Conor's chances against Nate, too, but it's a tough fight. Nate's durable as hell and has cardio for days. As we saw in both fights, he can take Conor's best shot and start to take over as Conor starts to get tired. I think the judges got it right, but there is an argument to be made for Nate winning that second round in the second fight. Or if Nate takes Conor down in the first 2 rounds, tires him out even more, and maybe steals one of those rounds, he wins the fight.

I think Tony is a very tough fight for the same reasons. Same with Lee. Maybe even Gaethje if he ever uses his wrestling.

Oh absolutely, but who knows if they can get Nate to sign the contract, and what his demands would be.
They will for sure have to pay him big money, but I think he is being difficult because he wants that Conor trilogy. He knows if he loses a fight or 2, it hurts the chances of the UFC making the trilogy. He also knows that is the biggest fight he can take. Now, with Conor's stock slipping a tad after Khabib and Nate suddenly being free, it just makes sense from everybody's point of view if you ask me.

I actually want to see Conor fight Kevin Lee, if he can get past that style that's the only way I'll have a little confidence in him in a second fight with Khabib.

Khabib vs Tony makes sense right now, that's the fight to make.
No way Conor's fighting Lee any time soon, though, unless maybe it's as an injury replacement. Tough match up, not a big enough name, no belt on the line, and no history like there is with Nate.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I feel like in the aftermath of all of this, Conor's accomplishments have taken a massive hit when they shouldn't have.

Up until the Khabib fight, Conor had the more impressive resume. Khabib dominated the fight, and can rightfully say he's the man at 155lbs. That doesn't take away that Conor is still a great fighter and easily beat some of the best fighters in the world at 145/155lbs. The way people talk about guys like Dustin Poirier makes me wonder if people remember that Conor trashed him. Or how he did the same to Eddie Alvarez, one of the best 155lbs of all-time.

This is starting to remind me a bit too much of "The Machida era" and other times where someone just looked unbeatable and usually it doesn't last too long. People lose all the time in MMA and often in extremely brutal ways.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Nobody knows what the outcome on any fight will be.

If there are no further fights, then the initial one speaks volumes. They're not at the same level skill wise.

This isn't about prior fights, could be and would be scenarios.

As it is, Nurmagomedov is eons ahead of McGregor. Period.

One has better stand up game, the other uses his style to snuff that threat out beautifully.

That's it. Until or unless they schedule another fight it can't be questioned. You saw the results.

You can mock me all you want. It doesn't change those above facts.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If there are no further fights, then the initial one speaks volumes. They're not at the same level skill wise.

This isn't about prior fights, could be and would be scenarios.

As it is, Nurmagomedov is eons ahead of McGregor. Period.

One has better stand up game, the other uses his style to snuff that threat out beautifully.

That's it. Until or unless they schedule another fight it can't be questioned. You saw the results.

You can mock me all you want. It doesn't change those above facts.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Posting a video doesn't change anything I've said. I can demonstrably prove every word.

Posting videos or meme's to get a laugh, don't really make my point any less valid.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Posting a video doesn't change anything I've said. I can demonstrably prove every word.

Posting videos or meme's to get a laugh, don't really make my point any less valid.

No, it doesn't change anything you've said as you've continually tried to pass off your own opinions as facts. They're not. They never will be.

Let me try this a different way since you clearly seem to not grasp it:

Here's a fact: you've done nothing but call your opinions facts constantly in this debate. That's accurate and exactly what you've done.

Here's an opinion: I don't think you're capable of understanding why you calling your opinions facts is wrong and that you'll continue to do this in the future.

Get it?

Regardless of whether you feel McGregor will lose to Khabib in the future if they were to fight, it's still just like your opinion, man. There is no fact involved because it hasn't happened yet.

But regardless of that, you're the only person in here bringing up McGregor as a rematch. Everyone for the most part has suggested Ferguson as the next guy for Khabib. So again, why are you incapable of moving on from McGregor and why do you continually bring up something nobody is talking about?

Obtuse like a motherf***er, no?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Correct.

I can prove what I have stated. You just don't agree with it. Doesn't make it any less valid, but thanks for the debate I guess.

How exactly can you prove what the outcome of a future fight will be? You can have a belief that it will go the same way as the first one, but until it happens, that's just an opinion. It doesn't get any more clear than that.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
How exactly can you prove what the outcome of a future fight will be?

There will not be a future fight. Khabib has already stated he wanted to fight Connor once. Unless he has a change of heart, the fight we factually witnessed as a result, stands as a testament to how those two stand against one another skill wise. Its not even close.

To state Khabib won by luck, or could have been beaten, means you were watching a different fight.

Also, Khabib as it stands right now, is the superior fighter. Period. He's also shown some strong mental stamina, to go along with his strong cardio.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There will not be a future fight. Khabib has already stated he wanted to fight Connor once. Unless he has a change of heart, the fight we factually witnessed as a result, stands as a testament to how those two stand against one another skill wise. Its not even close.

To state Khabib won by luck, or could have been beaten, means you were watching a different fight.

Also, Khabib as it stands right now, is the superior fighter. Period. He's also shown some strong mental stamina, to go along with his strong cardio.

I'll take "things nobody said, especially me" for 200, Alex...

This is either the greatest troll job of all time, or you're really that f***ing dense...:laugh:

Reactions: td_ice

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
This is either the greatest troll job of all time, or you're really that ****ing dense...:laugh:

Personal insults aside, the point is McGregor isn't at Khabib's level. Not sure why this is so difficult to accept.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Personal insults aside, the point is McGregor isn't at Khabib's level. Not sure why this is so difficult to accept.

Nobody is arguing this. Nobody. What I'm arguing with you is that you're passing off your belief that nothing can change in the future as factual.

Not sure why this is so difficult to accept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->