GDT: UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
On an unrelated note, can you hook me up with the winning Mega Millions numbers for Tuesday? I mean, you can tell the future, so I may as well take advantage of that...:naughty:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Anyone read Conor's Instagram post where he explains how he was winning the fight?

I read it but didn't get that out of it. I got that he was explaining his thought process behind his approach and how he felt it went round by round. He gave him the first round and second round, also was critical of his own performance, especially in the third which was his best round of that fight. Gave Khabib full credit for the win too and was critical of his own camp's focusing too much on take down defense to the detriment of his standup.

Which part of that post did you feel he was suggesting he was winning? I may have to go back though because I read it fast and possibly missed something?

Reactions: pistolpete11

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Went back and reread the insta post. Didn't see him saying he was winning at any point. Saw he gave his feedback as to why he did what he did and why he responded the way he did. I have no issues with what I saw. Was very factual and complimentary towards Khabib.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought the post was fine as well.

Could have done without the "Khabib won the round based on the sport, I won based on the fight" as that came off as the typical striker complaining about being taken down.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't see anything wrong with it either.

I think he gave himself a little too much credit for the beginning of rounds 1 and 2, but he admits that Khabib won both rounds and even said round 2 was the toughest round of his MMA career.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't see anything wrong with it either.

I think he gave himself a little too much credit for the beginning of rounds 1 and 2, but he admits that Khabib won both rounds and even said round 2 was the toughest round of his MMA career.

I took that as the kind of stuff a fighter says to convince themselves that it wasn't nearly as one sided a fight as possible. A harmless white lie they tell to themselves so they don't get their confidence shaken for future fights.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He gave himself Rounds 1 and 3. While he admits he overlooked certain parts of Khabib's game and didn't focus enough on some of his own, the whole post was to convince people (or at least his minions) the fight was closer than how it actually played out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He gave himself Rounds 1 and 3. While he admits he overlooked certain parts of Khabib's game and didn't focus enough on some of his own, the whole post was to convince people (or at least his minions) the fight was closer than how it actually played out.

I have an issue with how he describes Round 1, saying Khabib won the sport but he won the fight. As mentioned above, typical "striker got taken down" whining.

Other than that, not sure what issue you see. He said Round 2 was the worst of his career. He says he won Round 3, which he did. Round 4, he details his mistakes and says that he lost fair & square.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I don't think he's really giving himself round 1 there as much as he's saying Khabib won it because of how the sport is scored. This to me is like the discussion about who won the Anderson Silva/Bisping fight. Bisping won based on the way the rounds are scored, despite taking a lot of abuse in the rounds he lost. But even then, I think it's more of McGregor trying to convince himself mentally that it wasn't nearly the compete domination it was.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
McGregor can try to convince himself and everything that this fight was anything other than a one sided ass whopping.

We all saw it, I've watched it more than once. It was not close.

Reactions: PuckG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad