GDT: UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
If the bus part is an act too, I think he needs new acting classes.

Going to jail? An act?

Part of this was personal.

He got caught up in the act, and things got too real.
I personally believe the whole BK incident was done to drum up interest and introduce Khabib to the more casual/mainstream viewer. Im convinced his line of thinking was "how do we get people to buy into this (at the time) upcoming fight". Everything he does for the most part is calculated.

But yeah Khabib and his team/entourage boy scouts can do no wrong.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I personally believe the whole BK incident was done to drum up interest and introduce Khabib to the more casual/mainstream viewer. Im convinced his line of thinking was "how do we get people to buy into this (at the time) upcoming fight". Everything he does for the most part is calculated.

But yeah Khabib and his team/entourage boy scouts can do no wrong.

You can think whatever you want, but you are wrong.

The bus incident wasn't a case of Conor trying to get PPV buys, it was a continued downward spiral of a guy who was making questionable decisions everywhere he could. The Bellator incident with the ref, the cageside stuff for the Lobov fight, and now this. That's not even touching the rumors of his bar fight or whatever that was.

The guy was handed a ton of money and then spent a year enjoying it. I'm not saying he spent a year binging on booze and drugs, but he was clearly having his fun. When he finally comes back, he's drinking at the press conference again.

It is not an act or a way to get PPV buys, just like Khabib flying off the cage isn't an act. This is who these guys are.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just to add - once he is in fight promo mode, Conor obviously get into his act. But the bus incident wasn't that, it was something else.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Well he didn't. So now what?

Hes starting to embarrass the sport he helped put on the map.

"Yeah but it sells" is a horrific level of reasoning.

You're going to struggle to grow your sport internationally to it's full potential with this type of stuff happening.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
THANK YOU! It's almost like he's in "kayfabe" mode all the time. Anyone who's followed his career should know this. On the flip side of it, I will admit to this one being a little bit more on the side of personal compared to business especially when you look at all buildups and pressers to his previous fights.

This one was a little different, you are correct. What I haven't figured out yet is was this different because of real heat or because it was a short run up so McGregor tried to compress as much fake hype into the few pressers they had? I'm leaning towards the latter at this point.

Reactions: NYRKING30

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'll compare whomever I want with anyone I want, thank you very much. Also, reading comprehension is your friend. I didn't say he was the same as Ali. I said he ripped of his act. Big difference.
Ali's "act" was talking smack and backing it up. Conor just talks smack (and embarrasses himself in fights) so that makes him comparable to Ali? That's a Jon Jones level of reach son.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ali's "act" was talking smack and backing it up. Conor just talks smack (and embarrasses himself in fights) so that makes him comparable to Ali? That's a Jon Jones level of reach son.

You seem to want to split hairs on this for some reason. I didn't say he was like Ali. I said he was ripping him off. I don't see what the huge issue you have with me saying this, but if you disagree, go right ahead. It makes no difference to me if you get your panties in a bunch, broseph...

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hes starting to embarrass the sport he helped put on the map.

"Yeah but it sells" is a horrific level of reasoning.

You're going to struggle to grow your sport internationally to it's full potential with this type of stuff happening.

The majority of people actually upset about what Conor or Khabib did are people who aren't going to be long-term fans of the sport anyway.

Marketing fights to internet bleeding hearts who are embarrassed or disgusted at everything is a waste of time. It's why this forum was filled with idiots for a few days last weekend and then for UFC230 it will be back to normal.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You seem to want to split hairs on this for some reason. I didn't say he was like Ali. I said he was ripping him off. I don't see what the huge issue you have with me saying this, but if you disagree, go right ahead. It makes no difference to me if you get your panties in a bunch, broseph...
People act like Ali was always a fan favorite, but a lot of people thought he was a loud mouth who was disgracing himself and the sport of boxing. Sound familiar?

Ali's political stands and charity are what set them apart. In terms of the fighting and fight promotion, Ali and Conor are a lot more similar than they are different.

Reactions: LSCII

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
The majority of people actually upset about what Conor or Khabib did are people who aren't going to be long-term fans of the sport anyway.

I've been a fan of combat sports since I was a toddler. I've got a background in boxing, and trained in Taekwondo.

I have been a huge George St Pierre fan, for many years. Still am.

I have watched the sport since its unrefined beginnings of seeing circus like no holds barred fights, with seemingly no rules.

I always loved the aspect of how many weapons each fighters brought to the octagon. It added to the allure of the sport, and I was instantly hooked.

I hate those who say this is just pugilistic brutality. There is so much technique to this sport. So much skills required, to be elite in it.

However what always made me a proud fan, was the respect you would see between opponents 95% of the time.

I absolutely hate seeing a fighter extend their hands to shake their opponents, only to have them reject the gesture.

I am positive the winning percentage of people who have rejected the invitation to shake a hand is dismal at best.

Every single one I have seen, ended up as a brutal loss for the person rejecting.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not disgusted at what they did. Its a brutal blood bath sport, at times. I love all of it.

Disappointment is a better emotion.

Losing some respect for the athletes responsible. That's about as far as I would take it.

Anyone who would take it any further, isn't a fan to begin with.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Marketing fights to internet bleeding hearts who are embarrassed or disgusted at everything is a waste of time. It's why this forum was filled with idiots for a few days last weekend and then for UFC230 it will be back to normal.
Every sport, every country has had incidents like this (if not much worse). This is nothing new. Like you said, if this drives people away from the UFC, then they probably weren't going to be fans anyway.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've been a fan of combat sports since I was a toddler. I've got a background in boxing, and trained in Taekwondo.

I have been a huge George St Pierre fan, for many years. Still am.

I have watched the sport since its unrefined beginnings of seeing circus like no holds barred fights, with seemingly no rules.

I always loved the aspect of how many weapons each fighters brought to the octagon. It added to the allure of the sport, and I was instantly hooked.

I hate those who say this is just pugilistic brutality. There is so much technique to this sport. So much skills required, to be elite in it.

However what always made me a proud fan, was the respect you would see between opponents 95% of the time.

I absolutely hate seeing a fighter extend their hands to shake their opponents, only to have them reject the gesture.

I am positive the winning percentage of people who have rejected the invitation to shake a hand is dismal at best.

Every single one I have seen, ended up as a brutal loss for the person rejecting.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not disgusted at what they did. Its a brutal blood bath sport, at times. I love all of it.

Disappointment is a better emotion.

Losing some respect for the athletes responsible. That's about as far as I would take it.

Anyone who would take it any further, isn't a fan to begin with.

I think losing some respect for the athletes involved is a perfectly reasonable thought. No issue there. When people use the event as a referendum on the sport it's a bit much.

Last edited:

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
You can think whatever you want, but you are wrong.

The bus incident wasn't a case of Conor trying to get PPV buys, it was a continued downward spiral of a guy who was making questionable decisions everywhere he could. The Bellator incident with the ref, the cageside stuff for the Lobov fight, and now this. That's not even touching the rumors of his bar fight or whatever that was.

The guy was handed a ton of money and then spent a year enjoying it. I'm not saying he spent a year binging on booze and drugs, but he was clearly having his fun. When he finally comes back, he's drinking at the press conference again.

It is not an act or a way to get PPV buys, just like Khabib flying off the cage isn't an act. This is who these guys are.
How am I entirely wrong? The points you stated are clearly validated and I have thought about that myself. I thought that whole day before they get on his jet he was already doing blow and drinking heavily, he looked that way in BK. I wouldn't be too sure of yourself as lets be real no1 outside of hardcore or true MMA fans know who Khabib even was prior to April of this year. We all know Conor was never getting back into the Octagon without a hefty pay increase and something that someone brings to the table. You bring up valid points but lets not act like Conor doing that to drum up PPV interest with barely any media obligations compared to any other fight he's done against someone who doesn't do that sort of thing is beneath him. Conor is a calculated businessman after all.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
This one was a little different, you are correct. What I haven't figured out yet is was this different because of real heat or because it was a short run up so McGregor tried to compress as much fake hype into the few pressers they had? I'm leaning towards the latter at this point.
I think its a bit of both maybe? After 229 it could now officially def be the former now. I remember what Helwani said about speaking to Conor at a hotel off camera and him telling Ariel that this is different and it's not over after a fight.

Reactions: LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
How am I entirely wrong? The points you stated are clearly validated and I have thought about that myself. I thought that whole day before they get on his jet he was already doing blow and drinking heavily, he looked that way in BK. I wouldn't be too sure of yourself as lets be real no1 outside of hardcore or true MMA fans know who Khabib even was prior to April of this year. We all know Conor was never getting back into the Octagon without a hefty pay increase and something that someone brings to the table. You bring up valid points but lets not act like Conor doing that to drum up PPV interest with barely any media obligations compared to any other fight he's done against someone who doesn't do that sort of thing is beneath him. Conor is a calculated businessman after all.

The guy went to jail because he was drunk and/or coked up and acting a fool in a bunch of public situations and it finally caught up with him. Going to jail for "promo" against a guy who doesn't even have the belt and he isn't even signed to fight yet? No way. That was personal because of the Lobov stuff. Unless you think the Lobov stuff was fake too?

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
When people use the event as a referendum on the sport it's a bit much.

That's fair. I can agree with that.

I'd have to agree. Anyone saying this is reflective on the bulk of MMA athletes, will get quickly refuted by me, as they clearly don't watch the sport. This sport is where you will see the most respect among athletes. Its beautiful to see, considering how brutal the sport is.

Even Connor, will show respect whether he loses or wins, which is something I appreciated from him.

As far as I'm concerned, he'll easily live down this small blemish.

Nurmagomedov may have to pay a higher toll, but I have a slight feeling he'll be just fine.

Reactions: m9

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
The guy went to jail because he was drunk and/or coked up and acting a fool in a bunch of public situations and it finally caught up with him. Going to jail for "promo" against a guy who doesn't even have the belt and he isn't even signed to fight yet? No way. That was personal because of the Lobov stuff. Unless you think the Lobov stuff was fake too?
No I don't.. That is kinda my point that it was a perfect storm of an opportunity for Conor to cause chaos and drum up interest of his impending return to the UFC. He probably in his sick head thought he wasn't even gonna get arrested and going to jail for a few hours isn't gonna ruin Conor's night when he crossed an ocean just to do that. He spent Hours in a jail cell most likely by himself. Not days, weeks,months.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No I don't.. That is kinda my point that it was a perfect storm of an opportunity for Conor to cause chaos and drum up interest of his impending return to the UFC. He probably in his sick head thought he wasn't even gonna get arrested and going to jail for a few hours isn't gonna ruin Conor's night when he crossed an ocean just to do that. He spent Hours in a jail cell most likely by himself. Not days, weeks,months.

Conor had multiple incidents and the recipe was the same - loyalty to his friends mixed with whatever substance he was taking. Not promoting a fight.

I don't think you are changing your opinion, so fair enough. I'll leave it at that.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Conor had multiple incidents and the recipe was the same - loyalty to his friends mixed with whatever substance he was taking. Not promoting a fight.

I don't think you are changing your opinion, so fair enough. I'll leave it at that.
I think it's a mix of it all. Loyalty, alcohol/drugs, and promotion.

I think the bus attack was started by Khabib and his team cornering Artem, but I think Conor knew it would make a scene and hype a future fight against Khabib. A war against the 2 camps type of thing. But, it got out of control because of the substances. I mean, it was a UFC event, so Conor had to know it would be on camera and at least partially controlled by security. Even bad publicity is good publicity. But it went too far and innocent people got hurt (and cost Conor who know's how much money).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Joe Rogan: ‘I don’t want to see’ Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Conor McGregor rematch next

Rogan with some straight truth here. Hard to argue this logic, aside from the money aspect, which the new owners of UFC are certainly after.

Ironically, I think Tony Ferguson would be a tougher match up for Khabib than McGregor was. I also think that TF is an easier match up stylistically for McGregor than Khabib is. I could easily see KN vs TF, and if Tony wins, then CM vs TF, with the Khabib vs Conor rematch swaying in the breeze waiting for that outcome. That would probably be a best case scenario for the UFC.

Reactions: pistolpete11

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Joe Rogan: ‘I don’t want to see’ Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Conor McGregor rematch next

Rogan with some straight truth here. Hard to argue this logic, aside from the money aspect, which the new owners of UFC are certainly after.

Ironically, I think Tony Ferguson would be a tougher match up for Khabib than McGregor was. I also think that TF is an easier match up stylistically for McGregor than Khabib is. I could easily see KN vs TF, and if Tony wins, then CM vs TF, with the Khabib vs Conor rematch swaying in the breeze waiting for that outcome. That would probably be a best case scenario for the UFC.
Tony is definitely the biggest threat to Khabib. His cardio is just as good if not better, he has very strange/unorthodox movements, his BJJ is elite and his striking is decent. Only thing is that he's prone to getting dropped, but he recovers fast and has never been at risk of KO/TKO. I don't see Khabib imposing his will on him the same way he has to all his previous opponents. God I hope this fight happens, it has the makings of a classic IMO

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Tony is definitely the biggest threat to Khabib. His cardio is just as good if not better, he has very strange/unorthodox movements, his BJJ is elite and his striking is decent. Only thing is that he's prone to getting dropped, but he recovers fast and has been at risk of KO/TKO. I don't see Khabib imposing his will on him the same way he has to all his previous opponents. God I hope this fight happens, it has the makings of a classic IMO

I see him fighting Khabib and winning. Then I see McGregor beating him to regain the belt, and the rematch with Khabib/McGregor following that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad