U.S. National Team Part VII

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

So I finally started reading this, but could only make it half way through. The author just seems to be in denial about the lack of quality in the US talent pool prior to the current youths. And way too happy to blame as much on Klinsmann as he can while refusing to accept what a colossal failure it is for the US to ever even come close to failing to qualify from concacaf.

Klinsi failed miserably because he isn't much of a coach, but the depth of the USMNT's failure is far deeper than the author tries to make it seem, and a lot more has to change than this article is implying for the US to ever be any more than what they have been...a middling team that can bunker their way into the knockouts with some luck and maybe even steal a game.

In fact, some of those quotes in that article reveal much deeper problems with the mindset of some of the bad players who have played for the USMNT. Goodson's quotes in particular are absolutely damning of how entitled & clueless some of them could be. Hopefully, the people in charge of US soccer have slightly higher standards with this next generation than the mediocrity that US soccer has traditionally embraced.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I think its patently obvious that the players shoulder a large majority of the blame. But I think the authors was trying to show more the behind the scenes especially when it came the Klinnsman drama between him and Gulati. I feel like there's so much more to this story than what you can write in 3,000 word article.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So I finally started reading this, but could only make it half way through. The author just seems to be in denial about the lack of quality in the US talent pool prior to the current youths. And way too happy to blame as much on Klinsmann as he can while refusing to accept what a colossal failure it is for the US to ever even come close to failing to qualify from concacaf.

Klinsi failed miserably because he isn't much of a coach, but the depth of the USMNT's failure is far deeper than the author tries to make it seem, and a lot more has to change than this article is implying for the US to ever be any more than what they have been...a middling team that can bunker their way into the knockouts with some luck and maybe even steal a game.

In fact, some of those quotes in that article reveal much deeper problems with the mindset of some of the bad players who have played for the USMNT. Goodson's quotes in particular are absolutely damning of how entitled & clueless some of them could be. Hopefully, the people in charge of US soccer have slightly higher standards with this next generation than the mediocrity that US soccer has traditionally embraced.

It’s both. The players weren’t that good to begin with and didn’t play as expected, especially main guys like Altidore, Bradley and Johnson. But a coach has to be able to qualify the US for the World Cup out of CONCACAF. Losing out to teams like Panama and Honduras over 10 games is a complete failure. Any coach has to shoulder significant blame for that.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It’s both. The players weren’t that good to begin with and didn’t play as expected, especially main guys like Altidore, Bradley and Johnson. But a coach has to be able to qualify the US for the World Cup out of CONCACAF. Losing out to teams like Panama and Honduras over 10 games is a complete failure. Any coach has to shoulder significant blame for that.

Oh Klinsi failed horribly because he's a bad coach. But that doesn't mean he was wrong to identify the lack of ambition in the USMNT & many of the happy-to-be-MLSers that needed to be culled from the team. Future USMNT coaches will be much richer for having Puli, McKenzie, Wright, Adams, etc. going to Europe to develop. And in the long run, so will the MLS, a NT that can play attractive football and maybe even someday outplay a big team in a knockout match, will do a lot more to drive talent & money into soccer than having those guys stagnate locally.*

And I don't think that happens without creating that divide between the guys trying to become the best they can be, and the guys who were content to make some money from football while not having to leave home. It was similar to the problem Russia has with their top talents earning so much in Russia that guys like Dzagoev spend their whole career in moscow instead of moving to bigger challenge where he can continue to grow. So even though Klinsi handled it terribly and failed miserably as a coach, that divide that the author derides him for is his greatest success because of the impacts we have seen with this next generation...like he did for us in 2006.

*Plus with them getting into the South & Central american young talent game, they will both be bolstering the MLS for guys who haven't yet gotten good moves to Europe, while also weakening some of their competition if they & Mexico do ever join conmebol.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This is peewee stuff from the US :laugh:

Just so bad.
It’s not that bad. This is a team that missed the World Cup against a favorite to win. US is playing a young lineup while France is playing close to full strength. US is defending well. They just need to have a little bit better quality in their balls out and I’d be happy.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It just amazes me how often an American player will stand still when a teammate has the ball and not look to move into a passing lane or show for the ball.

Reactions: cgf

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I thought the over/under for French goals was 4. I would've been content if they lost because this is important for these players to get this kind of playing time against a world cup favorite. I think the only player I thought played really bad was Wood. I thought the midfield trio of Trapp, McKinnie and Adams held their own going up against Pogba, Kante and Matuidi. Parker was my MOTM, but the rest of the CBs played really well too. Moore and Robinson had their work cut out for them against the French wingers. This is a good learning experience with this group most likely going to be our core group of players going forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The kids defended well today, but your next coach really needs to have a plan for them of what to do with the ball. There was very little coordination in possession and that is the big hurdle to this team taking that next step. Of course, a match against a powerhouse is always going to leave the US on the back foot, but they need to be better in those times where they can latch onto the ball.

Still a lot of good work from many of the kids, and there's clearly more talent to work with than in previous generations...even without Pulisic on pitch.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The kids defended well today, but your next coach really needs to have a plan for them of what to do with the ball. There was very little coordination in possession and that is the big hurdle to this team taking that next step. Of course, a match against a powerhouse is always going to leave the US on the back foot, but they need to be better in those times where they can latch onto the ball.

Still a lot of good work from many of the kids, and there's clearly more talent to work with than in previous generations...even without Pulisic on pitch.
I’m really interested to see what the 11 of the future is. It seems that we have so many options in midfield and CB.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I'm biased as I am Canadian, but I don't mind Donovan's comments or the monetization aspects too much. At the end of the day every team CONCACAF is an underdog of sorts at the world cup

Reactions: cgf

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm fine with Donovan supporting Mexico even if it's for money, but that in mind his disparaging comments to critics weren't that cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad