St. Louis
A team that should be able to beat St. Vincent:

Pulisic - Altidore - Wood
Bedoya - Nagbe - Stanko
Johnson - Miazga - Cameron - Yedlin
Horvath

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
When Jurgen says he wants the youth to push through, he means to actually push to be in the 11, not to ride the bench, that's not pushing through. You bring up Miazga, but in no way should he be considered with his lack of game time since his move to Chelsea. You can't ride the bench on your club, and then expect to play for the national team.

The national side is in bad shape, partly because of poor coaching, and then a general lack of talent with the aging vets declining and the young youth not having the ability of the previous crop. I don't see many players that can develop into what Donovan or Dempsey were in their prime. That's a problem. Then the guys with real potential make poor career decisions and go to clubs way too big for them.

At the end of the day, the national side should not be a development ground, even though that has been the belief lately. The development value a young player gets from playing some random national games or some trainings with Jurgen are minimal at best. The national side simply needs to field the best possible senior squad available to them at that very moment.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
When Jurgen says he wants the youth to push through, he means to actually push to be in the 11, not to ride the bench, that's not pushing through. You bring up Miazga, but in no way should he be considered with his lack of game time since his move to Chelsea. You can't ride the bench on your club, and then expect to play for the national team.

The national side is in bad shape, partly because of poor coaching, and then a general lack of talent with the aging vets declining and the young youth not having the ability of the previous crop. I don't see many players that can develop into what Donovan or Dempsey were in their prime. That's a problem. Then the guys with real potential make poor career decisions and go to clubs way too big for them.

At the end of the day, the national side should not be a development ground, even though that has been the belief lately. The development value a young player gets from playing some random national games or some trainings with Jurgen are minimal at best. The national side simply needs to field the best possible senior squad available to them at that very moment.

We have plenty of players at CB, CDM, and ST, who are playing consistent minutes, that are better than Orozco, Beckerman, and Wondo. You say that the national team shouldn't be a "developmental ground", I say that it shouldn't just be JK and his pets.

For example, why the hell don't guys like Danny Williams, Perry Kitchen, Dax McCarty, and Wil Trapp get called in over Beckerman?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think we need to bring in younger players at every position. At some positions, we have requisite depth and starting lineup talent. At others, its needed.

Jurgen should be doing a better job of assessing which positions could use younger players, and which positions to keep the veterans. What we don't need is all of these veterans to keep their spots way longer than they should be, and have the coach saying the young players aren't doing well enough. He shouldn't be talking about any individual player in a negative way to the press. I think thats something you can fault him for.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah I would rather have Johnson in back and Acosta in the middle.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Acosta is not a LB, how many times does he need to play poorly there (at any level) before people realize this?

Agreed. I wish Jurgen would put him in a better position to succeed and try other players to determine the best possible options for depth after Johnson or another option to start and allow Johnson to play further forward.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
The fact that Jorge Villafana still hasn't been called up yet is just baffling. He's probably the best American LB right now.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm actually kind of happy with this lineup. Probably the best that they could make with their three best players out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad