U.S. National Team Part VII

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Tyler Adams is a stud.

I love watching him now, but it’s prob best for him if he moves over to Leipzig or Salzburg. Preferably Leipzig cause it’s a better league and he’ll be on tv (assuming he gets game).

Reactions: Gecklund

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, Tyler Adams is definitely on my radar now. I'll be interested to watch him in MLS this year. He really impressed me last night.

I was watching the Wild game so I didn't pay full attention, but I didn't notice any real gaffes from the Miazga-CCV pairing.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
New roster for Bolivia friendly was just released.

GK: Hamid, Bono, Horvath

Defenders: CCV, Lichaj, Miazga, Olosunde, Palmer-Brown, Robinson, Villafana, Zimmermann

Mids: Corona, Gooch, Green, Guido, McKennie, Parks, Pulisic, Rubin, Weah

Forwards: Novakovich, Sargent

First thoughts: I love it. Only two that they are missing off the top of my head are Yedlin and Adams. Great to see Sargent, Weah, Parks, Olosunde all getting chances, also very happy that Green is getting another chance

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm just remembering reading posts from lunatics saying us missing the World Cup would be the best thing that could happen to American soccer. Tonight they play a meaningless friendly in an 18,000 seat stadium that might be 2/3rds full with maybe a couple of dozen people watching the broadcast. Interest in the national team is at it's lowest point since the late 80's-early 90's wiping out most of the gains made since then. Not only was missing the World Cup the biggest disaster in American soccer history it's also the biggest most devastating on field disaster in American sporting history.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm just remembering reading posts from lunatics saying us missing the World Cup would be the best thing that could happen to American soccer. Tonight they play a meaningless friendly in an 18,000 seat stadium that might be 2/3rds full with maybe a couple of dozen people watching the broadcast. Interest in the national team is at it's lowest point since the late 80's-early 90's wiping out most of the gains made since then. Not only was missing the World Cup the biggest disaster in American soccer history it's also the biggest most devastating on field disaster in American sporting history.

Yep. I don't know who thought it was going to be good, but I do remember reading that. It was the worst thing that could happen and we still don't even have a coach.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you can bring in the right coach to build a young team that plays with a cohesive plan with the ball, for the next cycle, and can put some decent football together four years from now; then this could well end up being a very necessary reality check for your FA that it sucks was needed, like 98 and especially 2000 where for us. Over-achieving is great...as I'll always appreciate that past-their-prime & poorly-coached group who went across the channel & brought football home in 96...but a faulty foundation on which to try to build a real player on the international stage.

So how much of a sporting disaster this will be will be decided by where your NT goes from here and whether it starts to build something real. Something that can change the perception of American football and maybe even earn you some respect from the football world...even if it only last for a generation.

You're starting to produce enough talent that's going to the right clubs in europe for their final polishing, to soon be able to get through a WC group while playing football that gets people excited about the sport & not just the low-grade nationalism. And that's what I think the US needs for this sport to really position itself to thrive in the post-American-Football era...well that or a World Cup, but let's walk before we try to run on that one lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Gecklund and Fro

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Missing a World Cup can be used as a jumping off point to step back and look at all levels top to bottom. But what's concerning is that after the disastrous TnT game, those at the top said "we don't need to do that, we were inches away, unlucky" etc. If we had a competent federation I'd feel much more comfortable moving forward. I'm very excited about our prospects, but if we don't have the right people in charge of coaching and Technical Director, it won't mean much.

Talking about the game, it certainly wasn't pretty, but there was a lot that I liked from some of the players. Players that impressed me tonight were Weah, Sargent, Parks, McKennie, Robinson and Rubin (first half). That being said, Bolivia looked really bad. It'll be interesting to see how many of these guys will do against the Irish and French in a couple weeks.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, there's no excuse for you to ever be a matter of luck away from qualifying in that confederation. If you n Mexico ever joined CONMEBOL; then fine, that's a thing that could happen & be a legitimate explanation, but not in Concacaf...spare me the "bad refs & tough away games...and bags of piss!" spiel.

Anyone who responded to this failure with excuses & not self-reflection needs to be fired.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah, there's no excuse for you to ever be a matter of luck away from qualifying in that confederation. If you n Mexico ever joined CONMEBOL; then fine, that's a thing that could happen & be a legitimate explanation, but not in Concacaf...spare me the "bad refs & tough away games...and bags of piss!" spiel.

Anyone who responded to this failure with excuses & not self-reflection needs to be fired.
That is the worst part about the loss to Trinidad: the game was against a bad team at a high school level stadium with barely a few hundred fans in attendance. It was pretty much the easiest road matchup possible and they still blew it. Also keep in mind in 2013 Mexico was in the exact same position we ended up in (on the virge of elimination) but unlike el tri we came through, beat Panama and saved their asses. Point being that CONCACAF qualifying isn't quite the cakewalk some make it out to be.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Out: Christian Pulisic, Walker Zimmerman, Alejandro Guido, Alex Bono, Ethan Horvath, Lyndeb Gooch, Matthew Olosunde

In: Zach Steffen, William Yarbrough, Shaq Moore, Tim Parker, Deandre Yedlin, Tyler Adams, Luca De La Torre, Kenny Saief, Wil Trapp, Booby Wood

Reactions: Gecklund

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
That is the worst part about the loss to Trinidad: the game was against a bad team at a high school level stadium with barely a few hundred fans in attendance. It was pretty much the easiest road matchup possible and they still blew it. Also keep in mind in 2013 Mexico was in the exact same position we ended up in (on the virge of elimination) but unlike el tri we came through, beat Panama and saved their asses. Point being that CONCACAF qualifying isn't quite the cakewalk some make it out to be.

It's not a cakewalk if you approach it like a cakewalk, it's a cakewalk for any good team that approaches it with professionalism.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It was a failure to have even let it get to the point where it all came down to that match, even if that match should have been a cakewalk, just like it should've been perceived as an embarrassing failure for Mexico to have gotten to that point in the previous cycle. I could maybe forgive it if you were blooding a ton of young talent that had learned throughout the cycle, like the mexican fans could sorta (although not really) try to argue, but I don't need to tell you guys that that was far from the case for y'all.

I've watched you guys far too often, living in the US and trying to encourage my american friends to get into the sport, to viewing your qualifying cycle being anything other than a cakewalk in any circumstances. That some of you buy into this "well, if we can just draw on the road against these minnows, we'll be alright" is the problem. Yes, mathematically it's not a big deal for qualification to the WC, but it's still not an outcome anyone should find acceptable. Football doesn't reward mediocrity like North American sports do, just being good enough isn't good enough, you must always be aiming for excellence in competitive matches. When it's 1 match out of 10 where you slip up, then ok, shrug it off, but do so without losing that focus on excellence and without accepting complacency.

But for people to regularly peddle this notion that aiming to fail in half your matches is acceptable just because it's unrealistic for you to win all of your away matches with your current talent level, the way USMNT people & US commentators/analysts so often seem to do, is a big part of why your NT has basically already hit its absolute peak possible result at a WC. Everyone is so content to just get to the dance and try to be one of the underdogs who gets out of your group. To ever get further than you have already, there has to be an entirely different set of expectations and a new plan for the way the collective will operate in future cycles, especially with the improved talent pool.

Sep 19, 2008
The US has a lot of good talent with potential. Guys like Weah and Sargent are the future of the team, along with Puli. Be exciting to see them along with other young talent like Andrew Carleton in the next few months. The US may not play in the WC this year but they have a very bright future. Hopefully the new coach can utilize that.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's a good thing they called up two of our key players (Adams and Parker) for these crucial and super important friendlies. It's not like they are going to miss both league and cup matches, and it's not like we lost the league match because we were shorthanded and that it will come back to haunt us when we finish 4th in the East and lose to Columbus in the play in game or anything. But seriously: f*** you US Soccer.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
US looked pretty poor against Ireland, its a young/inexperienced squad I know but if you can't keep possession against a team like Ireland :huh:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
US looked pretty poor against Ireland, its a young/inexperienced squad I know but if you can't keep possession against a team like Ireland :huh:
didnt look like the midfield had an idea how to work together. so often a player would get the ball and there would be no easy pass to make because no other midfielder was close to the ball and showed for it. its probably the thing that drives me nuts the most as a USA fan.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
There were some flashes of what this team could be. That Ireland team was significantly better than that Bolivia team. I'd be more concerned if we played like that against Bolivia. That being said we're going to get wrecked by France next week. I really wanted to see more of Parks and he didn't even make the bench yesterday.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It's a good thing they called up two of our key players (Adams and Parker) for these crucial and super important friendlies. It's not like they are going to miss both league and cup matches, and it's not like we lost the league match because we were shorthanded and that it will come back to haunt us when we finish 4th in the East and lose to Columbus in the play in game or anything. But seriously: **** you US Soccer.

Those players getting international experience is way more important than anything MLS related

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Earnie Stewart in as US GM. Still don’t entirely know what the position does but that’s okay. Now just get a good manager and we will see what happens.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->