Tyson Jost

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I dont get the speed stuff at all. I'm fairly certain a few posters are just saying it to try and push narratives. The guy doesn't have any separation ability whatsoever. His acceleration in particular is what really looks bad to me. His top speed is probably average and his ability to move laterally is fairly strong, but he looks sloooooooow at generating speed quickly, and especially for a Center he needs to have that separation gear.

Reactions: Pokecheque

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
The only reason Jost will end up being a 3c or getting pushed to the wing is because we're hopefully getting Jack Hughes. My hope for Jost remains high.

I have fond memories over this board telling me that MacK had no IQ and would end up being a 60 point winger. Look how that turned out.

Reactions: avsfan09

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The only reason Jost will end up being a 3c or getting pushed to the wing is because we're hopefully getting Jack Hughes. My hope for Jost remains high.

I have fond memories over this board telling me that MacK had no IQ and would end up being a 60 point winger.
To be fair, Mack showed flashes of elite skill throughout his first few years. I think I've maybe seen 1-2 plays where Jost looked above average offensively.

El Travo

Aug 11, 2015
To be fair, Mack showed flashes of elite skill throughout his first few years. I think I've maybe seen 1-2 plays where Jost looked above average offensively.

MacK showed a lot of promise like you said and these boards still turned on him. It just goes to shows that development isn't linear.

I've seen plenty of instances for Jost that give me hope. He just turned 21 a couple weeks ago and is still working into his man strength.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
MacK showed a lot of promise like you said and these boards still turned on him. It just goes to shows that development isn't linear.

I've seen plenty of instances for Jost that give me hope. He just turned 21 a couple weeks ago and is still working into his man strength.
Hopefully

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I've been hard on Jost but that was a nice game he put up last night.

He seems to have found his confidence and us having fun out there.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What’s encouraging is that he’s doing this against one of the harder-checking teams in the league. Against the Flames he’d normally be pinned against the boards and that would be that, but, to steal from someone on Twitter, he’s been knifing in on the forecheck and getting turnovers, and the best part is that he’s finding open ice and using it. Now if he can just get that shot going...

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Jost was terrific last night.

He looked dangerous all night. He's 21 years old and there are people already calling him a bust. He's had a hard time and he's never been properly given the tools to succeed. If we can focus on giving him the confidence he sorely needs, he'll be a very productive player for the Avs. Not everyone gets it right away. The kid has 70 point potential but needs time to find his way in the league. I hope people don't give up on him because he isn't an immediate success.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
He looked dangerous all night. He's 21 years old and there are people already calling him a bust. He's had a hard time and he's never been properly given the tools to succeed. If we can focus on giving him the confidence he sorely needs, he'll be a very productive player for the Avs. Not everyone gets it right away. The kid has 70 point potential but needs time to find his way in the league. I hope people don't give up on him because he isn't an immediate success.

It would be premature to conclude Jost is a bust. Great hockey IQ, great hands, great stick work. He needs to get a bit stronger and, I'm guessing (and coming from someone that hasn't skated or played hockey) a little more balanced on his skates so he has more leverage in board battles. But yeah, I've really liked what I've seen from him lately.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I am not the most knowledgeable about natural positions. I assume that Jost has always played naturally at the Center position, and I know we've had him play wing as well. Would he be a solid fit at wing if we were able to get a guy like Hayes in the offseason?

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
He has absolutely stepped up his game in the playoffs and he is the type of player to do it. His work ethic and dedication to the sport will continually make him a better player. Excited for Jost.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I am not the most knowledgeable about natural positions. I assume that Jost has always played naturally at the Center position, and I know we've had him play wing as well. Would he be a solid fit at wing if we were able to get a guy like Hayes in the offseason?

He’s definitely played better at C than wing this year. He’s shown flashes at both positions but I think C would probably be his best position if he can get a big winger to open up the ice for him.

Reactions: klozge

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There are flashes at both positions with Jost... I just think it comes down to ultimate upside at each position and what you're okay with long-term. I can't see Jost's skating ever getting to the point where he can consistently make a high level impact on both ends of the ice at center. His mindset is always going to be about taking care of defense first (and that is a good thing), but I think that will keep his slant towards that end of the ice. If you're okay with Jost likely topping out around a 35-40 point #3C that plays good defense... then I think you can focus in his development towards that. If you want a #2C, I just don't think that ability is there. If you have to get a 2nd liner out of him, I think you have to move him to wing to shorten up the ice, but you're going to need some speed and size opposite of him as it seems he will always have a bit of inconsistency with his ability to take physical play and be effective on the boards. I can honestly see this either way. I lean towards a good 2nd line wing having a higher impact than a #3C, but I think that is highly debatable and a below average 2nd line wing certainly has less impact than a #3C.

If the Avs move long-term to a MacK-Cozens/Turcotte-Jost setup down the middle, they should really be set for 6-7 years at the position. Then it would be about filling the wings.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
What’s encouraging is that he’s doing this against one of the harder-checking teams in the league. Against the Flames he’d normally be pinned against the boards and that would be that, but, to steal from someone on Twitter, he’s been knifing in on the forecheck and getting turnovers, and the best part is that he’s finding open ice and using it. Now if he can just get that shot going...
His anticipation and ability to create turnovers was one of the reasons I stayed high on his hockey IQ.

El Travo

Aug 11, 2015
If we are only using 9296 during desperation times then what we need is:

LW - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - RW

Put Compher in one of those blanks and Kerfoot in the other.

Jost/Landy meshed well the one game they played together.

Reactions: burgundyblue

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
If we are only using 9296 during desperation times then what we need is:

LW - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - RW

Put Compher in one of those blanks and Kerfoot in the other.

Jost/Landy meshed well the one game they played together.
In using your lines I'd consider this-
Wilson-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Jost-Compher

El Travo

Aug 11, 2015
In using your lines I'd consider this-
Wilson-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Jost-Compher

Kerfoot has been getting his chances and I really don't like the thought of him in our bottom-6. He doesn't play a bottom-6 style of game.

El Travo

Aug 11, 2015
Soderberg and Calvert I think could open space for him.

I'd rather have LBN or Wilson with Soderberg and Calvert. Soda has been pretty underwhelming so far and I don't think Kerfoot would be ideal.

If G comes back and we go 11/7:

Kerfoot - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - Compher
LBN - Soderberg - Wilson
Bourque - Calvert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad