Tyson Jost

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
They would never have picked him. That's the difference.

Agreed. I don't see it in Jost. The guy has no one attribute that he excels at to balance out his inadequacies as a player which include his small size coupled with really poor skating. To think there probably might have been a chance to return Strome from Arizona for something around Jost and a small plus just makes me sick to my stomach.

At this point, we're committed though so hopefully he turns the corner or something. I doubt it but I am hopeful.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And hire a skating coach who will work with him all off season!

If only it was that easy... I’ve stated it over and over again, but without a fundamental flaw in his skating, it isn’t going to get much of any better from pure coaching. Jost needs to thin down and work on his quick twitch to gain any bit he can and it still may not work.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Agreed. I don't see it in Jost. The guy has no one attribute that he excels at to balance out his inadequacies as a player which include his small size coupled with really poor skating. To think there probably might have been a chance to return Strome from Arizona for something around Jost and a small plus just makes me sick to my stomach.

At this point, we're committed though so hopefully he turns the corner or something. I doubt it but I am hopeful.

Jost might not excel in any particular area, but has a fairly high IQ. Puljujärvi has size and skills, but low IQ. Both players are struggling and a change might be needed. Maybe swap players?

Yakupov has tremendous talent and constantly lost on the ice.

I think it's still too early to give up on him, but swapping for Puljujärvi might be better fits for each team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jost might not excel in any particular area, but has a fairly high IQ. Puljujärvi has size and skills, but low IQ. Both players are struggling and a change might be needed. Maybe swap players?

Yakupov has tremendous talent and constantly lost on the ice.

I think it's still too early to give up on him, but swapping for Puljujärvi might be better fits for each team.

That would be a pointless exercise, much like the Mueller-for-Wolski swap was. Neither guy is NHL-caliber.

The best hope is to see what can be done this offseason with his fitness and skating, and hope he at least turns into a halfway-decent defensive depth forward. Maybe even a good power play guy as well if he gets that shot of his going. But that, at this point, is what I believe to be his ceiling and I think I'm being VERY optimistic even in that case.

Worst case (and more likely) scenario, he gets dealt for a low-round pick and his career peters out from there.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That would be a pointless exercise, much like the Mueller-for-Wolski swap was. Neither guy is NHL-caliber.

The best hope is to see what can be done this offseason with his fitness and skating, and hope he at least turns into a halfway-decent defensive depth forward. Maybe even a good power play guy as well if he gets that shot of his going. But that, at this point, is what I believe to be his ceiling and I think I'm being VERY optimistic even in that case.

Worst case (and more likely) scenario, he gets dealt for a low-round pick and his career peters out from there.
Not for nothing but I really liked Mueller before Blake happened. I thought he was the perfect player to play with Duchene at the time. I would do Jost for Pool party if it means we can possibly run a Pools-Kakko-Rantanen line.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Ya don’t talk **** on Peter mueller. He had turned the corner with duchene before he got annihilated
Yup Every player Duchene had chemistry with some fluke shit always happened, Mueller with blake, Fleischmann with the blood clot... if that didn't happen I fully believe Duchene would have continued scoring and put up 80+ pts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hell and even Wolski... he never left us satisfied, but he topped 40 points in every season and hit 65 in that season he was traded. He was enigmatic and didn't give a crap most of the time, but he could produce.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hell and even Wolski... he never left us satisfied, but he topped 40 points in every season and hit 65 in that season he was traded. He was enigmatic and didn't give a crap most of the time, but he could produce.

Wasn’t he supposed to be like a top ~5 pick too?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wasn’t he supposed to be like a top ~5 pick too?

Not sure that high, but he slipped due to the assault incident. If Wolski actually gave a crap and played up to his talent, he probably would have ended up one of the 5 best players from that draft. He'd certainly be after Ovi, Malkin, and Wheeler... but his talent level could have carried him up the ranks there.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure that high, but he slipped due to the assault incident. If Wolski actually gave a crap and played up to his talent, he probably would have ended up one of the 5 best players from that draft. He'd certainly be after Ovi, Malkin, and Wheeler... but his talent level could have carried him up the ranks there.

Gotcha. I knew he slipped a decent amount due to the assault case.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not for nothing but I really liked Mueller before Blake happened. I thought he was the perfect player to play with Duchene at the time. I would do Jost for Pool party if it means we can possibly run a Pools-Kakko-Rantanen line.

Ya don’t talk **** on Peter mueller. He had turned the corner with duchene before he got annihilated

Yes, yes, I know he was good, but injury prone, and that is precisely WHY he was ultimately not a viable NHL player. It wasn't a question of talent with him, it was a question of durability, of which he had none. Even with the softest game I've ever seen from an NHL regular he was still able to produce, but injuries did him in. I don't begrudge the trade, it just ended up being pointless.

With Wolski, again, not a question of talent since the guy had it in loads. I'm still hella frustrated about him because he was a legit elite-level player when he cared to be. But he simply didn't have the work ethic. Exact opposite of Jost's problem.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Wolski, again, not a question of talent since the guy had it in loads. I'm still hella frustrated about him because he was a legit elite-level player when he cared to be. But he simply didn't have the work ethic. Exact opposite of Jost's problem.

Yup... I think the Avs getting burned by Wolski, Stoa, and Stewart hurt so bad they fundamentally put too much emphasis on work ethic and not enough on talent.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yes, yes, I know he was good, but injury prone, and that is precisely WHY he was ultimately not a viable NHL player. It wasn't a question of talent with him, it was a question of durability, of which he had none. Even with the softest game I've ever seen from an NHL regular he was still able to produce, but injuries did him in. I don't begrudge the trade, it just ended up being pointless.

Its true he was brittle. Poor guy.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

100% yes. I've mentioned this very swap before. A trade involving two struggling young players that were high picks in the same draft. Maybe PoolParty and Rants hit it off too.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
At the end of the day the reason I have less faith in Jost than I have in other highly drafted prospects that have struggled coming into the NHL is because Jost simply isn't a dynamic athlete. He's not very explosive, he's not very strong...Sometimes it just takes longer for guys to mentally click at the next level, for Jost that isn't the issue. He just has limitations that others don't. I'm not sure how he fixes that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yup... I think the Avs getting burned by Wolski, Stoa, and Stewart hurt so bad they fundamentally put too much emphasis on work ethic and not enough on talent.

I don't disagree. FTR I still don't think Stewie and Wolski were necessarily bad picks. Both players fell in the first round because of legit concerns. Avs took a chance on both and initially...they were rewarded. It's just too bad they whiffed so horribly beyond the first round under Pracey (and in some cases didn't even try with some of their low-rounders) that the entire draft class rested on the success of those players selected in the first round. I still find it funny, looking back, that Stastny was selected AFTER Stoa.

Unfortunately we haven't yet seen if Hepple is any better in that department.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Speed is not that much an issue anymore. Strength is still an issue for some reason but if we can't fix that and develop him into a 35-50 point 3rd sometimes 2nd line winger at worse then we're a failure of a franchise at player development (which we are anyways).

He's got a pretty safe game and enough hands to be a 35 point decent two-way guy at worse imo.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Speed is not that much an issue anymore. Strength is still an issue for some reason but if we can't fix that and develop him into a 35-50 point 3rd sometimes 2nd line winger at worse then we're a failure of a franchise at player development (which we are anyways).

He's got a pretty safe game and enough hands to be a 35 point decent two-way guy at worse imo.
He's noticeably slow with the puck. Speed is a huge issue. He can't play a physical game, but also can't outskate most players.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Speed is 100% an issue.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Sucks that they recalled him...I would have left him down in the AHL for at least another 6-7 games if not the whole remainder of the season.

I mean, why are they bringing him up? So he can play 4th line LW with Sheldon Dries or to give him an opportunity on a different line with Colin Wilson? It's setup to fail before it begins. Give the kid a chance to play big minutes in the AHL and become a productive player at that level first, then you can think about bringing him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad