Tyson Jost

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
I know it's only the first game with new linemates, but I thought Jost was invisible last night. Except for the time a defender put his hand on him and knocked him back about 3 feet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At the end of the day, I don't think the Avs see Jost the same way that a lot of people here do. I don't think that they see him as a guy that needs more physical development, they could have left him in college if they wanted that. I think they think that he is NHL ready, it's just about him finding mental consistency. I don't agree with this, but this seems to be their thought.

Outside of skating, he is ready physically for the NHL. He's physically stronger than Kerfoot, Compher, and Girard. Possibly Ghetto and Barrie too, though Ghetto has underrated strength for his size.

The difference is they're all moving away from the contact and Jost isn't. He's just much easier to hit right now. He's also been stationary too often, and ends up having to take hits just to make passes on the breakout.

Reactions: klozge

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Outside of skating, he is ready physically for the NHL. He's physically stronger than Kerfoot, Compher, and Girard. Possibly Ghetto and Barrie too, though Ghetto has underrated strength for his size.

The difference is they're all moving away from the contact and Jost isn't. He's just much easier to hit right now. He's also been stationary too often, and ends up having to take hits just to make passes on the breakout.
He plays like he's got a bouncy ball on his stick and not a puck. Loses it when the other team even looks at him.

Some games he holds on to it well, and is much more effective. He clearly needs more space than most top 6 players. He hasn't played with anyone who can draw attention, and give him that space.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
He's stronger than Johnny Hockey too, for all that is worth. It is like you are saying he would be great if only he were better. Bottom line is he was ineffective. People should quit blaming his linemates. Maybe his linemates would be better if they didn't have to play with him. My guess is that it is going to take some time for him to look good, even in the AHL.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Yea but everyone that you just mentioned is a dynamic skater. Jost is not. His skillset and playstyle are going to lead to having to play a lot in traffic down low where he needs to be able to take contact and keep going. Right now he cannot do that.

Something I'll throw out there. I heard Parise talked a lot about as a Jost comparison. You know what a huge difference is between Parise and Jost? Parise is a tank with great balance and lower leg strength. Jost gets pushed over by a light breeze. To me getting stronger has to be a huge part of his development.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yea but everyone that you just mentioned is a dynamic skater. Jost is not. His skillset and playstyle are going to lead to having to play a lot in traffic down low where he needs to be able to take contact and keep going. Right now he cannot do that.

Something I'll throw out there. I heard Parise talked a lot about as a Jost comparison. You know what a huge difference is between Parise and Jost? Parise is a tank with great balance and lower leg strength. Jost gets pushed over by a light breeze. To me getting stronger has to be a huge part of his development.

Exactly the problem. Because of his lack of acceleration right now, Jost can't be elusive and skate away from the contact the way similar sized or smaller players like Kerfoot, Compher, Ghettto, Girard, and Barrie do.

Jost doesn't need to get stronger to prevent being muscled around, he needs to separate himself from the contact better. He's already likely stronger than those guys I mentioned. We've seen a lot of the videos, he spends a lot of time with his off ice strength training.

Parise has some man strength in his favor being older than Jost, but even he would get knocked over pretty easily if he couldn't separate himself from contact. His quickness and elusiveness to spin away from the contact help him with this.

If Parise was skating shoulder to shoulder with EJ, Zadorov, or Cole down low, or if he was taking passes in the neutral zone somewhat flat footed, and had to take hits to make passes and not turnovers, he'd get put on his butt pretty easily too. These are the poor body positions Jost is putting himself in lately, and why he's so easy to hit.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yep, his lack of elusiveness, his ability to withstand checks, puck security, etc all comes down to his skating ability. And that's the problem. I doubt we'll see anything from him in Loveland but I'm glad they're finally trying something to fix what has become a very bad situation. I'm also glad they called up Toninato, but we'll see if he gets any games.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What would you ask for Jost in a trade with Mtl? I've always been high on him.

Something around Poehling?

Good Lord, if the Habs were offering Poehling the Avs most definitely would be interested, but they'd be crazy to want to deal a guy who looks like he'll be, at the very worst, a low-end top line center.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about Jost though--I am already convinced he'll be nothing more than a marginal player at the NHL level, if that.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Good Lord, if the Habs were offering Poehling the Avs most definitely would be interested, but they'd be crazy to want to deal a guy who looks like he'll be, at the very worst, a low-end top line center.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about Jost though--I am already convinced he'll be nothing more than a marginal player at the NHL level, if that.

then you can add Makar :nod:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure the Habs would take on Jost to move from #25 to #4 in the draft. Seems a bit iffy. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He's stronger than Johnny Hockey too, for all that is worth. It is like you are saying he would be great if only he were better. Bottom line is he was ineffective. People should quit blaming his linemates. Maybe his linemates would be better if they didn't have to play with him. My guess is that it is going to take some time for him to look good, even in the AHL.
I feel his linemates do play role though. If your going to play Jost in an offensive role early in his career don't put the added pressure of being a line driver on top of it. Play them with a player capable of leading a line until they are comfortable enough to do it themselves.

CCook37

Jun 11, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hawks fan coming in peace. I think the Avs have some absolute talent and think they could make some noise this year. Curious about value on this: Jost and Zadarov for Saad, Kruger (50% retained) and Gus.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hawks fan coming in peace. I think the Avs have some absolute talent and think they could make some noise this year. Curious about value on this: Jost and Zadarov for Saad, Kruger (50% retained) and Gus.
Lol delete your post before you get ripped to shreds.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Hmmmmm...that's not terrible, assuming Saad can reignite his offense. I do like Gustafson too, but I don't like losing the physicality that Zads brings. What's Gus's contract status?

While Kruger would come in handy to stabilize the giant, gaping hole at 4C, I don't think the Avs are interested beyond the end of this season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yeah that depends on which Saad shows up really. If it’s top 6 Saad than that’s fine but if recent Saad shows up that’s not really something I’d wanna do.

CCook37

Jun 11, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hmmmmm...that's not terrible, assuming Saad can reignite his offense. I do like Gustafson too, but I don't like losing the physicality that Zads brings. What's Gus's contract status?

While Kruger would come in handy to stabilize the giant, gaping hole at 4C, I don't think the Avs are interested beyond the end of this season.

Krugers contract is up after this year.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lol. serious? Curious why you say that. seems like everyone wants to move Jost for a bag of pucks and Zadarov isnt valued much here. am i missing something?

Oh, Z's value varies. Some of us (like me) think he's nothing more than a 4/5 d-man with some consistency issues. Some here think he could be much more as he's only 23. Personally I think he does bring a lot in terms of size and physical play to a blueline corps that currently lacks both, so I'd be reluctant to part ways with him, but if he and the Avs are not on the same page on a new contract, then the only option is to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad