Tyson Jost

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I keep seeing similar things said, but I don't understand quite why after seeing his shot, his puck handling skills in tight, and his passing ability. All three are among the best skill wise on the team.

The skillset is there and so is the vision. He's just not demonstrating it often enough. That's due to a lack of acceleration right now and a massive lack of confidence.

I see a dude that bobbles the puck constantly. Let's face it, when Jost has the puck, odds are that the other team is about to take possession. I feel like his shot is mediocre at best and his passing ability is nothing to write home about either.

Some people are looking too hard for something but honestly, Jost has struggled at best at the NHL level. Is he young? Sure but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should expect him to develop into a constant top 6 player for us. He just hasn't shown this type of ability yet.

I'd love to be wrong about the kid because him breaking out would solve a lot of issues with this squad but I can't help but see Jost as just plain bad and it isn't just due to lack of speed and confidence. Dude doesn't skate at an NHL level, doesn't handle the puck at an NHL level, certainly doesn't win puck battles at an NHL level, is rather small, and many times just makes bone headed plays that make me even question if he has NHL level vision.

I understand this is HF where often times prospects/young players are held up on a bit of a pedestal but sometimes what you see is what you get and I believe that what were seeing in Jost (around 31 point pace I think) is not that far off where he'll end up (I'd love to see a constant 50 point center). Again, I'd love to eat some crow on this but it is what it is at this point IMO.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I see a dude that bobbles the puck constantly. Let's face it, when Jost has the puck, odds are that the other team is about to take possession. I feel like his shot is mediocre at best and his passing ability is nothing to write home about either.

Some people are looking too hard for something but honestly, Jost has struggled at best at the NHL level. Is he young? Sure but that doesn't necessarily mean that we should expect him to develop into a constant top 6 player for us. He just hasn't shown this type of ability yet.

I'd love to be wrong about the kid because him breaking out would solve a lot of issues with this squad but I can't help but see Jost as just plain bad and it isn't just due to lack of speed and confidence. Dude doesn't skate at an NHL level, doesn't handle the puck at an NHL level, certainly doesn't win puck battles at an NHL level, is rather small, and many times just makes bone headed plays that make me even question if he has NHL level vision.

I understand this is HF where often times prospects/young players are held up on a bit of a pedestal but sometimes what you see is what you get and I believe that what were seeing in Jost (around 31 point pace I think) is not that far off where he'll end up (I'd love to see a constant 50 point center). Again, I'd love to eat some crow on this but it is what it is at this point IMO.

He's struggled, no doubt about it. Those issues you mentioned in the first paragraph are a result of a lack of accerlation right now and a massive lack of confidence.

The turnovers specifically because he doesn't have separation speed right now. Same with how he keeps being put on his butt. He's not separating from the defenseman down low and a lot of times on the breakout he's just taking hits to make passes.

The puck bobbles are a result of the lack of confidence not skill. On a pure skill basis, only MacKinnon, Mikko, and Kerfoot are more skilled forwards on the team. On a pure shot basis in terms of skill, he's probably in a tie with Compher for third on the team behind Nate and Mikko.

The problem is he's not putting himself in situations to show off this skill. That's both mental and technical due to skating.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
What I'm curious about is if they are going to use him at C with the Eagles. I hope not because I don't think he will make at C in the NHL especially with the Avs with guys like Kam, Bowers and OTT 1st coming. Bowers can play W of course but I would like him at C. So why bother putting him at C with the Eagles.It will only screw him up more when he comes back.

I agree to a point, but none of the players you mentioned are on the team. To play Wing, he’ll need a good 1C.

Jost will have every opportunity to excel. Hoping they pair him with Greer & Kaut. This could lead to a future AVs line.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We've had our share of can Jost be a #2C in the NHL conversations, but I'm surprised we haven't had any should Jost be a wing conversations? He hasn't looked any better at all IMO, and he's had the least amount of confidence playing wing. Kerfoot has the same problem when he shifts to wing.

If Kerfoot continues to struggle while Jost in the minors, I think playing Jost as a center with the Eagles, with an eye towards playing him as the #3C behind Soda has a lot of merit.

For all his struggles offensively, he's still been pretty solid defensively, and very few players on the team consistently make the right play with the puck getting it out of the zone the way Jost does. That stems from poise and smarts that a lot of players in the bottom 9 are struggling with right now.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm not sure I can picture Jost as even a 2nd line winger. Will have to see how his stint in the AHL goes but for now, I'm kinda hoping he can work on his speed. At this point, I'd be thrilled for him to be a regular some day for us in the mold of Stephen Yelle or Shjon Podein. He doesn't have the wheels to be a Danny Hinote but that would be cool too. I just wish two things hadn't happened:
1. The Avs hyped him way, way too much
2. The Avs brought him in way too early

If he turns out to be an excellent 3rd line player that would be fine with me now. The Avs have had a terrible time getting those players from within their own organization.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
He's struggled, no doubt about it. Those issues you mentioned in the first paragraph are a result of a lack of accerlation right now and a massive lack of confidence.

The turnovers specifically because he doesn't have separation speed right now. Same with how he keeps being put on his butt. He's not separating from the defenseman down low and a lot of times on the breakout he's just taking hits to make passes.

The puck bobbles are a result of the lack of confidence not skill. On a pure skill basis, only MacKinnon, Mikko, and Kerfoot are more skilled forwards on the team. On a pure shot basis in terms of skill, he's probably in a tie with Compher for third on the team behind Nate and Mikko.

The problem is he's not putting himself in situations to show off this skill. That's both mental and technical due to skating.

I appreciate your thoughts on this and truly hope you're right here but like I mentioned earlier, lack of acceleration and confidence IMO are not the sole causes of Jost's woes as far as play is concerned. I don't see any defining characteristic that Jost has that shows promise at the NHL level at a top 6 forward position.

Personally, I think you're giving a bit too much credit to Jost over a few guys on the Avs roster. There is no way that Jost is more skilled than a guy like Landy IMO who is often severely under appreciated in that regard. Landy came into the league and was productive from day 1 while occasionally carrying the stigma "3rd line grinder" (yes I know that's mostly in jest). That's just forwards too, if we expand to defensemen, dude's like Barrie and G despite their recent struggles themselves are a hell of a lot more skilled than Jost. With regards to the shot talent as well, I refuse to believe Jost has that great a shot to again be put ahead of Landy who's the team's leading scorer. I know the guy scores a lot of deflections but even not counting those he out performs Jost handily.

That's not an age thing either, even in Landy's early years we saw examples of Viking mode where he would throw the team on his back. Jost can barely get the puck moving in the right direction at times.

As far as the confidence argument goes, good players play through and get over that jazz. Jost is a professional hockey player playing at the highest level, it's not going to get any easier for him.

Jost has a ton of deficiencies to overcome if he's to become a productive NHLer IMO. Small size, shit skater, weak sauce shot, weak board play, and real bad puck control, etc. I hope he pulls it together but I don't think this is as simple as him lacking in any given trait. I just don't see any tools let alone a toolbox to put them in.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I appreciate your thoughts on this and truly hope you're right here but like I mentioned earlier, lack of acceleration and confidence IMO are not the sole causes of Jost's woes as far as play is concerned. I don't see any defining characteristic that Jost has that shows promise at the NHL level at a top 6 forwards position.

Personally, I think you're giving a bit too much credit to Jost over a few guys on the Avs roster. There is no way that Jost is more skilled than a guy like Landy IMO who is often severely under appreciated in that regard. Landy came into the league and was productive from day 1 while occasionally carrying the stigma "3rd line grinder" (yes I know that's mostly in jest). That's just forwards too, if we expand to defensemen, dude's like Barrie and G despite their recent struggles themselves are a hell of a lot more skilled than Jost. With regards to the shot talent as well, I refuse to believe Jost has that great a shot to again be put ahead of Landy who's the team's leading scorer. I know the guy scores a lot of deflections but even not counting those he out performs Jost handily.

That's not an age thing either, even in Landy's early years we saw examples of Viking mode where he would throw the team on his back. Jost can barely get the puck moving in the right direction at times.

As far as the confidence argument goes, good players play through and get over that jazz. Jost is a professional hockey player playing at the highest level, it's not going to get any easier for him.

Jost has a ton of deficiencies to overcome of he's to become a productive NHLer IMO. Small size, **** skater, weak sauce shot, weak board play, and real bad puck control, etc. I hope he pulls it together but I don't think this is as simple as him lacking in any given trait. I just don't see any tools let alone a toolbox to put them in.

I've been one of Landy's biggest fans since his junior days, and he has underrated skill and passing, but Jost is more naturally talented. It's the only reason he was a consensus top half of the 1st round pick.

Jost was 11th on McKenzie's list of head scouts polled. You don't get viewed that highly because you're a hard worker or good defensively unless maybe you have some incredible physical attributes. At his size, if he didn't have that talent, there's no way scouts would have viewed him that highly. He would have been a consensus 4th round or later pick.

Last edited:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I've been one of Landy's biggest fans since his junior days, and he has underrated skill and passing, but Jost is more naturally talented. It's the only reason he was a consensus top half of the 1st round pick.

Jost was 11th on McKenzie's list of head scouts polled. You don't get viewed that highly because you're a hard worker or good defensively unless maybe you have some incredible physical attributes. At his size, if he didn't have that talent, there's no way scouts would have viewed him that highly. He would have been a consensus 4th round or later pick.

Scouts make mistakes all the time though. See Nail Yakupov. Remember back in 2011 when we picked a supposedly really strong defensive prospect in Siemens at 11th, lol. This isn't even to mention that one of Jost's comparables was Toews which I still have no clue how they were seeing that.

I'm not even saying that Jost wasn't a consensus pick where we snagged him. I'm just thinking that the scouts were wrong and were looking at things that just aren't there. Hindsight's a bitch.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I agree to a point, but none of the players you mentioned are on the team. To play Wing, he’ll need a good 1C.

Jost will have every opportunity to excel. Hoping they pair him with Greer & Kaut. This could lead to a future AVs line.
If that is a future Avs line it will be as a 3rd line but Kaut as more upside than that. Kaut should end up on the 2nd line maybe as early as next season. None of these guys can drive their own line. They are all complimentary players. Kaut needs to play with somebody that can give him the puck. He is great on the boards but he is not the one holding on to the puck.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Scouts make mistakes all the time though. See Nail Yakupov. Remember back in 2011 when we picked a supposedly really strong defensive prospect in Siemens at 11th, lol. This isn't even to mention that one of Jost's comparables was Toews which I still have no clue how they were seeing that.

I'm not even saying that Jost wasn't a consensus pick where we snagged him. I'm just thinking that the scouts were wrong and were looking at things that just aren't there. Hindsight's a *****.

There's a difference between being wrong about a pick becoming a good NHLer and being wrong about their skill level though.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I hate reading some of the comments in here, some people are so stoked he finally got moved to the AHL. I personally feel bad for him, from all accounts he is a hard worker, good kid, and tries to improve his game all the time, its just not working it for him for one reason or another.

Not sure if I believe he'll ever amount to anything at the NHL level, I want him to figure it out, but I'm starting to lean towards bust status with him and I'm one of his biggest supporters. Usually you see some flicker of talent but it's just not there with him.

He's a 1/2 step behind every play, too small to play physical, has a good shot but can't find a way to use it, the IQ seems like it's there but he's just too slow in processing for the NHL level.

We'll see what happens with this move not sure it will accomplish much unless he figures out a way to just get faster at everything. I had such high hopes for him, but now I'm hoping that if everything goes perfect over the next 12 months he can maybe carve a 3rd line winger career out.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Guess I'm the only one who thought Jost improved last season and towards the end he was looking rather good.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I hate reading some of the comments in here, some people are so stoked he finally got moved to the AHL. I personally feel bad for him, from all accounts he is a hard worker, good kid, and tries to improve his game all the time, its just not working it for him for one reason or another.

Not sure if I believe he'll ever amount to anything at the NHL level, I want him to figure it out, but I'm starting to lean towards bust status with him and I'm one of his biggest supporters. Usually you see some flicker of talent but it's just not there with him.

He's a 1/2 step behind every play, too small to play physical, has a good shot but can't find a way to use it, the IQ seems like it's there but he's just too slow in processing for the NHL level.

We'll see what happens with this move not sure it will accomplish much unless he figures out a way to just get faster at everything. I had such high hopes for him, but now I'm hoping that if everything goes perfect over the next 12 months he can maybe carve a 3rd line winger career out.
All the things you pointed to. Are the reason you should be happy he’s being sent down. The game needs to slow down for him. He’s just simply not an NHL caliber player yet. But he’s forced into a fair amount of minutes because of draft pedigree.

Truthfully this move was the only way to potentially save his career.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
There's a difference between being wrong about a pick becoming a good NHLer and being wrong about their skill level though.

The two often go hand in and though which is my point. You can't always go off what the scouts say as it's often tough to gauge how some of these kids will adapt to life in the NHL. Jost came up to the NHL too soon and it absolutely shows. The dude, like others have said, is not an NHL caliber player in any way shape or form and especially not in accordance to his draft pedigree, hype, and scouting report. It's also not as simple as him improving his acceleration and bringing up his confidence.

To me, this is a Siemens situation all over again as far as long term NHL viability is concerned. Similar draft status that just never panned out. I'd love for Jost to prove me wrong on that front but it is what it is. I'm just happy the kid got sent down so we don't have to look at him for some time haha. At least it'll do me some good, I'm almost at the point where just seeing him in an Avs sweater sets me off lol.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Let’s see him and Kaut develop some chemistry.

It seems like certain posters are acting like the Avs have Valerie Nichushkin on their hands. Someone who doesn’t have any goals in 37 games.

Jost is almost at a career 30 point pace. With some confidence regained in the AHL, and another summer of working out with Andy O’Brien, Jost should be able to become a 40 point player next season. Especially if the Avs add some scoring depth and Jost isn’t penciled in to carry the 2nd line from day 1.

He just looks like a kid who doesn’t trust any of his skills right now. Once he gets some confidence back, he will be back in the NHL and become a positive factor for the Avs.

Reactions: klozge

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If that is a future Avs line it will be as a 3rd line but Kaut as more upside than that. Kaut should end up on the 2nd line maybe as early as next season. None of these guys can drive their own line. They are all complimentary players. Kaut needs to play with somebody that can give him the puck. He is great on the boards but he is not the one holding on to the puck.

AVs don’t have too many C options for Kaut. Jost will have an incredible chance to save his career.

Jost seemed to be a step behind on every play which could be lack of skills or confidence. His desire was there, but having rotating line mates could have played a part in his struggles. I’m sure they will dedicate regular linemates which is likely Kaut.

Give him time, he could still be a serviceable player.

Reactions: klozge

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Jost sent to eagles. 6 weeks too late. Hopefully he figures his game out and doesn't get discouraged.

Finally. He had no buisness in the NHL this year. I fear we may have ruined his development.

Problem is, who takes his place?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Finally. He had no buisness in the NHL this year. I fear we may have ruined his development.

Problem is, who takes his place?
G. Bourque. I guess they'll call up O'Connor for road trips. I'd like to say Greer will get a chance now but this won't happen with Bednar at the helm. He doesn't like gritty players.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
All the things you pointed to. Are the reason you should be happy he’s being sent down. The game needs to slow down for him. He’s just simply not an NHL caliber player yet. But he’s forced into a fair amount of minutes because of draft pedigree.

Truthfully this move was the only way to potentially save his career.
Don't get me wrong I think it's the right place for him. I'm more frustrated by the people who are acting stoked because he's not in the Avs anymore.

You can think it's the right move and still feel bad for him. Like I said nice kid, who supposedly works hard in practice. You don't have to throw a party that he got demoted.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Don't get me wrong I think it's the right place for him. I'm more frustrated by the people who are acting stoked because he's not in the Avs anymore.

You can think it's the right move and still feel bad for him. Like I said nice kid, who supposedly works hard in practice. You don't have to throw a party that he got demoted.
But it's not the end of his NHL career. I'm happy he got demoted because I think he can get back on track now and be a solid addition for the Avs later (meaning at some point next season). He was good in the first games this season, which is something many seem to have forgotten, and I think that was just a glimpse of what he will be able to do for us when he's fully ready for the big league. And because we probably won't make the playoffs this season I rather see him in the AHL, hopefully developing nicely, instead of having him in the NHL now just because he's better than a player like Dries, Bourque or Andrighetto.
Also, don't be upset when people here say he sucks and it's great for the team to have him sent down. The same people called MacKinnon a bust a few years ago. Just ignore them when it comes to Jost.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
AVs don’t have too many C options for Kaut. Jost will have an incredible chance to save his career.

Jost seemed to be a step behind on every play which could be lack of skills or confidence. His desire was there, but having rotating line mates could have played a part in his struggles. I’m sure they will dedicate regular linemates which is likely Kaut.

Give him time, he could still be a serviceable player.
None of what I said suggest that I have lost patience with Jost. On the contrary I am happy for him that he is down because it will help him put his career back on track. So yes I am giving him time.

All I said was that the Avs should just accept that he is now a W and stop bouncing him around from C and W. That would go a long way in helping him figuring out his game. To me building chemistry with Kaut is not that important because at this point Jost most likely will end up on the 3rd line on the Avs while Kaut will probably be on the 2nd. Again I'm not giving up on Jost but if he is part of the Avs' 2nd line moving forwards it probably means we are still looking at building a 2nd line and ways away to contend. Playing with Kaut in the AHL will certainly help him gain confidence as he would be playing with a very good player but I think it should be on the W in order to better prepare him for his return in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad