Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
View attachment 859861

This is why I'm not at all plussed about the trade-back from a WR perspective.
GMFwbpqXIAAFNxf.png

Same.

Here are the WR boards I've been watching.

Reactions: truthbluth

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I do wonder what the organizational priority for the Bills is at this point. If it’s to stay as deep as possible through Allen’s prime years and have as many cracks at the prize as possible, so be it, but I don’t envision this coaching staff and roster winning one without another player on offense who’s indisputably The Guy

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS TRADE UP TO NO. 28 TO SELECT WR XAVIER WORTHY

This was by far the best trade-up on Day 1. By making it an even trade in terms of how many picks changed hands, the trade is almost even.

It’s still interesting that the Chiefs seem to be extremely confident in their evaluation of a deep wide receiver class where evaluations were all over the place after the blue-chip prospects that went off the board in the top 10.

That’s why I also don’t hate this from the Bills' perspective. The irrational take is that they gifted a wide receiver to an arch-nemesis that has beaten them in the playoffs in three of the past four years. It’s a deep receiver class, so the Chiefs could have drafted a wide receiver, anyway, if they wanted. And Kansas City's bets at wide receiver haven't necessarily paid off in recent history.

Given how the Bills offseason went, moving down a bit and adding another Day 2 pick makes a lot of sense and is consistent with prior decisions. They don’t get an A here, because they didn’t manage to take advantage of their trade partner. That’s also a shout-out to Chiefs general manager Brett Veach, of course.

Trade_Grades_5.png

• Grade for the Chiefs: B-
  • Grade for the Bills: B+

CAROLINA PANTHERS TRADE UP TO NO. 32 TO SELECT WR XAVIER LEGETTE

I’m not sure what the Panthers were thinking here. They are probably overestimating the value of the fifth-year option, which is now fully guaranteed. Thus, they lost a lot of value. If Xavier Legette is good enough to justify picking up the option, the option is much more expensive than it was before the new CBA, and he probably also has enough leverage to ask for an extension before that option would even kick in. Yes, the option would create some leverage for the Panthers in extension talks, but that’s a hypothetical scenario that isn't relevant until many years from now.

The Panthers' move from No. 33 to No. 32 cost them 59 draft slots, and they'll now pay the same player a higher salary. As the following chart from Jason Fitzgerald shows, the rookie wage scale comes with the most significant gap at the end of the first round.

Trade_Grades_6.png

From the Bills’ perspective, this was a free move-up on Day 3. Additionally, they are on the clock for 20 hours now, being able to sort out their options. The Panthers gave up a luxury.

• Grade for the Panthers: D
  • Grade for the Bills: A

Reactions: Dingo44 and Reddawg

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
My prediction is more humor. Which means no WR pick with either 2nd, and also yeah, another trade-back.

I think one of the seconds will be a WR.

I predict we have four day 2 picks. One will be a WR. One will be a IOL. One will be a WR or RB, and one will be on defense

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not close value wise.

I think you would have to trade them a '25 R2 - which i wouldn't necessarily be against doing.

I’d be on board for that, I think. Grab a WR and an IOL. (And then maybe some of our other picks this year become tradeable for picks next year, so we don’t even end up really missing anything from the 25 draft.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rowley Birkin

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Okay, what is everyone’s prediction. Are we trading back again from 33?

I say yes
My prediction is Cooper DeJean and I never see Josh Allen throw a TD again.

My preference was a trade down but I hate that there are several viable non-WR options fro Beane.

Honestly, though, I am concerned that the organization has blinders at the WR position. They've invested heavily at RB for some reason but have invested one day one or two pick at WR since Beane took over (Diggs). I don't get it.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So here's where we're at with our best available entering day 2:

2024 HF Bills Big Board
9. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon (40%)
12. Cooper Dejean, DB, Iowa (50%)

18. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas (75%)
19. Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois (40%)
20. Ladd McConkey, WR Georgia (50%)
26. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia (50%)
29. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama (67%)
31. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State (33%)
31. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon (33%)
33. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan (75%)
34. Jalynn Polk, WR, Washington (50%)
38. TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa (100%)
39. Patrick Paul, OL, Houston (50%)
40. Marshawn Kneeland, DE,Western Michigan (0%)

If we could come away with two of these players today, I'd be very excited.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think one of the seconds will be a WR.

I predict we have four day 2 picks. One will be a WR. One will be a IOL. One will be a WR or RB, and one will be on defense
2 Disclaimers:

I don't pay attention to NFL prospects
I'm primarily a 49ers fan

So don't take this too seriously:

Beane's drafts post-2018 don't seem to have yielded many (any?) impact players.

Cook made the pro bowl, but was frustrating to watch as he would drop key passes in clutch moments. Bernard *might* be trending this direction. Ditto Kinkaid, both are TBDs.

Oliver, Knox, Espenesa, Rousseau, Brown, Torrence, are quality guys to fill the roster.

Elam, Basham, Moss, Ford, Singletary...a lot of underwhelming return.

The Chiefs have multiple impact players, from their secondary, to the big 3 of Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones. The Bills had Allen, Diggs, Miller in theory, but now one is gone, and another is no longer an impact player.

This is partly why, as an idiot, I wanted to see a big top 10 move up trade for a WR. To get some notable impact. It's why they aren't the current dynasty.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Honestly, though, I am concerned that the organization has blinders at the WR position. They've invested heavily at RB for some reason but have invested one day one or two pick at WR since Beane took over (Diggs). I don't get it.
While technically correct, Dalton Kinkaid is a much better get in his draft spot as a ball catcher than any of the available WR's would have been.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
So here's where we're at with our best available entering day 2:

2024 HF Bills Big Board
9. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon (40%)
12. Cooper Dejean, DB, Iowa (50%)

18. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas (75%)
19. Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois (40%)
20. Ladd McConkey, WR Georgia (50%)
26. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia (50%)
29. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama (67%)
31. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State (33%)
31. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon (33%)
33. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan (75%)
34. Jalynn Polk, WR, Washington (50%)
38. TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa (100%)
39. Patrick Paul, OL, Houston (50%)
40. Marshawn Kneeland, DE,Western Michigan (0%)

If we could come away with two of these players today, I'd be very excited.
We should also discuss the possibility of jumping back into the 2nd for a 3rd pick with all that ammo now ?

Reactions: Dubi Doo and Husko

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
2 Disclaimers:

I don't pay attention to NFL prospects
I'm primarily a 49ers fan

So don't take this too seriously:

Beane's drafts post-2018 don't seem to have yielded many (any?) impact players.

Cook made the pro bowl, but was frustrating to watch as he would drop key passes in clutch moments. Bernard *might* be trending this direction. Ditto Kinkaid, both are TBDs.

Oliver, Knox, Espenesa, Rousseau, Brown, Torrence, are quality guys to fill the roster.

Elam, Basham, Moss, Ford, Singletary...a lot of underwhelming return.

The Chiefs have multiple impact players, from their secondary, to the big 3 of Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones. The Bills had Allen, Diggs, Miller in theory, but now one is gone, and another is no longer an impact player.

This is partly why, as an idiot, I wanted to see a big top 10 move up trade for a WR. To get some notable impact. It's why they aren't the current dynasty.
Agree with this. Beane's largely hit doubles and singles in the draft, but Allen is really the only home run pick since the 2018 draft. I also hate how many RBs they've drafted somewhat early under his tenure considering they're only gonna be here for their rookie deal, most likely.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Absolute master class of how to GM in the NFL displayed by Beane last night.

Trades down from 28 and picks up the 3rd round pick he was missing. He lost the ability to draft Worthy, Pearsall, Guyton, and Wiggins in the process. Not a big deal, because at that time, Legette and the receivers still on the board were there. Plus, safety was not a need for any of those teams. Beane didn't fleece KC but got the value he should've received.

Trades down from 32 to 33 and gets a good deal from Carolina. He gives up the 5th year option but gains nearly 24 hours to sit on the 33rd pick. Now his staff can reset the draft boards. 31 other teams are going to reset their draft boards as well and see that they might have a player is available who they never thought would make it to 33. So teams might be willing to go above what the trade value chart prescribes to get a pick.

And, he's sitting on a draft board with a bunch of players the Bills could use. Players who I think are first round grade players:

DeJean 1
Newton 1
Mitchell 1-
JPJ 1-
McConkey 1-

If we talked two days ago that Beane would have that choice at 28, everyone would be happy. And Beane gets to make this choice at 33 and got his 3rd back.

Very well executed trade-dwon strategy by Beane and the Bills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad